Fire Tony Mansilino

RavensNOsGuy

6 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

He has had a bunch of garbage no sends this year. He’s a joke compared to Dickerson. It is inexcusable to not score a run there on the Mullins or fly ball

Nice. I was wondering who would be the next guy to fire. You caught me off guard with this one.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

He has had a bunch of garbage no sends this year. He’s a joke compared to Dickerson. It is inexcusable to not score a run there on the Mullins or fly ball

Do you mean the Santander pop up that went 100 feet from home plate. You don’t tag on that just because he ended up diving and probably would have scored. You learn that when you’re 7 years old. Blame the clutch vets ceddy and Santander for hitting the 2 softest balls of the day.

There is a very good chance Holliday gets thrown out there, much higher than the chance of both Mullins and Santander (plus Cowser) coming up empty there. With 2B/3B, 0 out we have >85% chance to score. I don't think Holliday was >85% to score on Gunnar's ball.

I wanted him to send Holliday on Gunnar’s double— I think he scores there and if he doesn’t, you likely have Gunnar at 3b.

The Holliday tag up play was unfortunate but I get why that happened— it only works to tag and score there because of the collision, which you wouldn’t be anticipating. 

The Adley send earlier in the game was awful and inexplicable. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

There is a very good chance Holliday gets thrown out there, much higher than the chance of both Mullins and Santander (plus Cowser) coming up empty there. With 2B/3B, 0 out we have >85% chance to score. I don't think Holliday was >85% to score on Gunnar's ball.

It was probably 50-50 he scores. But, I would have sent him because nothing is for sure with this lineup these days.

Just now, gtman55 said:

It was probably 50-50 he scores. But, I would have sent him because nothing is for sure with this lineup these days.

Can't argue with that and I think you called it in the game thread. I always expect our guys to do their jobs, but I shouldn't. 

I agree on the Adley send if in fact he sent him - I couildn't tell. But Holliday's wiff on what I think should have been a double play grounder also cost us big time. Then of course Ced and Tony failing to deliver in the ninth just keeps reminding me how often we get runners on second and third and can't score. Good back and forth game. I think Detroit is the best right now in the trio of Twins, Royals, and Tigers. If they get in they could cause some trouble. Tough young team.

It was such a strange play I really can't fault the base coach there...if the ball hits the ground and JH is standing on 3rd he probably doesn't score either. And you can't foresee the collision.

I agree that Jackson's horrible miss on that DP ball was the worst play of the game. Also the bullpen didn't have to instantly give up the game in extras. Nice comeback in the 9th but too many mistakes and unclutch performances overall.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

It’s not like he was halfway down the baseline. He was practically standing right next to the bag, dancing back and forth.  Yes, he could have tagged and the second he saw that SS fall over he could have taken off. 

And Mansolino probably tells him to put on the brakes and/or he gets thrown out if he runs through. Even if he anticipates the catch he is not a sure thing to score on a ball that went only 120 feet.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

And Mansolino probably tells him to put on the brakes and/or he gets thrown out if he runs through. Even if he anticipates the catch he is not a sure thing to score on a ball that went only 120 feet.

The SS was literally sitting on his ass and short armed the ball into third base. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The SS was literally sitting on his ass and short armed the ball into third base. 

Even from his ass it looked like a pretty solid throw to me but it was hard to tell from that camera angle how it would have played out. Anyway, I can see why they played it the way they did.