Would you say that the Tigers rebuild is more successful than the O's?

wildcard

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I thought they had to deal Skubal because I didn’t buy they could truly contend in 2025.

Now, they have had some unreal good luck but credit to them for how they have played.

It won’t surprise me if they miss the playoffs next year though. See how good Jobe can be next year. 

It won't surprise me if the Orioles also miss the playoffs next year unless they figure things out.  And even if they do make it, are they talented enough to win enough to even make it worthwhile?  We will have to wait and see, and not matter what people say in this forum, there is a lot of hope being thrown around, and hope isn't a strategy.  Let's be real now.....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Actually, it was pretty accurate.  You don't trade top bullpen talent for Austin Hayes, and then a minor leaguer for Soto.  The Phillies clearly did not have confidence in those guys enough to think they were key to a world series championship, otherwise they would not have traded them for what they got back.

The entire sport is littered with effective relief arms who struggled and/or were hurt elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Sanity Check said:

It won't surprise me if the Orioles also miss the playoffs next year unless they figure things out.  And even if they do make it, are they talented enough to win enough to even make it worthwhile?  We will have to wait and see, and not matter what people say in this forum, there is a lot of hope being thrown around, and hope isn't a strategy.  Let's be real now.....

If you are talented enough to make the playoffs you can win in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The entire sport is littered with effective relief arms who struggled and/or were hurt elsewhere. 

No doubt, but if you have serious intentions of winning a world series like the Phillies did, you don't trade away stud relievers.....again, for what they got back.  Their willingness to trade those guys tells me the Phillies didn't think they were key to a Championship.  And I know that they are eliminated now, but these guys were traded well before that.   Would we have traded Bautista last year, or Cano?  I don't think so.

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Would you trade their roster and farm system for ours?

I would not trade the Orioles roster and farm system for the Tigers roster and farm system. I would trade hitting approaches, though. We have more talent, but it seems like the Tigers have executed better in big moments. 

7 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

No doubt, but if you have serious intentions of winning a world series like the Phillies did, you don't trade away stud relievers.....again, for what they got back.  Their willingness to trade those guys tells me the Phillies didn't think they were key to a Championship.  And I know that they are eliminated now, but these guys were traded well before that.   Would we have traded Bautista last year, or Cano?  I don't think so.

I don’t think anyone acted like they were superstar relievers. The question was could they be effective. 

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t think anyone acted like they were superstar relievers. The question was could they be effective. 

Exactly, which is why I prefer guys in the pen who don't have that question associated with them.  I want confidence that they can me effective more times than not.