McCann vs a Free Agent replacement?

sportsfan8703

The 1 year $4.25 deal that Martin Maldonado landed last year seems like a good comp. Would the O’s do it?  Would McCann take that?

Keep in mind that Basallo is LH as well. McCann being RH is a thing. If Burnes comes back, then you’d have to think McCann would be back as well.

See screenshots for the list of FA Catchers.

IMG_6158.png

IMG_6159.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I think McCann back on a one year deal would be a good thing. But, if they continue to play the back up as much as they did this year then I think an upgrade would be beneficial. Maybe Kyle Higashioka would be a good upgrade. Not sure what he is looking for from a playing time standpoint but he only had about 30 more PA than McCann in 2024.

Edited by MCO'sFan

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I will take Carson Kelly.

Better offensively and defensively but not great at either to get a long term, expensive deal.

That said, I am not signing any back up C for more than 1 year.

I don’t know a ton about the backup catcher options, but looking at Kelly’s K/BB splits, I will take that all day vs McCann and his 13 BB’s/little league strikeouts 

Weren't McCann's defensive metrics pretty bad last year? Any reports on Blake Hunt's defense? Also why did he forget how to hit after we got him? 

McGuire, Grandal, and Hedges grade as plus framers. McGuire is the youngest of the three, but he is LH and can't hit. Grandal is the best hitter of the three but also the oldest. Maybe Grandal on a one year contract to be a placeholder for Basallo?

I have thought for a long time that the backup catcher debate is one of the more overblown debates on here.  From a 35,000 foot view, a lot of these guys are interchangeable.  Not great on offense (if they were, they'd be starting somewhere), decent defenders, and good clubhouse guys.  

So a 1 year deal to McCann or whoever is fine.  And I'm sure we'll get 50+ pages on backup catchers here because that's what we do, but the hopes and dreams of the 2025 Orioles don't rest on who the backup catcher is.  So, it's gotta be a 1 year deal.

The more important thing is what Basallo does and how quickly he can get to Baltimore...so he can struggle at the plate and we can pick on him like we've done with every other top prospect that's arrived over the past two seasons.  It's going to be great!

You could do a lot worse than McCann, and you probably can't do a whole lot better.

That said, if it was "McCann's clubhouse" as it had been rumored to be, I'm not against a change for the sake of change. That's not me saying he was anything bad in the clubhouse - probably far from it - but sometimes vibes need to change to let other voices rise, etc. I would think of it like a coaching change. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, survivedc said:

What are the chances they just roll with Handley as the backup this year? Bad offensively last year but has had some good years batting.

I guess the real question is do they believe Basallo is ready by June?

0 chance IMO. They didn't even protect him on the 40-man last year and they probably won't this year either. 

They did quickly re-sign Banuelos, though.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I have thought for a long time that the backup catcher debate is one of the more overblown debates on here.  From a 35,000 foot view, a lot of these guys are interchangeable.  Not great on offense (if they were, they'd be starting somewhere), decent defenders, and good clubhouse guys.  

So a 1 year deal to McCann or whoever is fine.  And I'm sure we'll get 50+ pages on backup catchers here because that's what we do, but the hopes and dreams of the 2025 Orioles don't rest on who the backup catcher is.  So, it's gotta be a 1 year deal.

The more important thing is what Basallo does and how quickly he can get to Baltimore...so he can struggle at the plate and we can pick on him like we've done with every other top prospect that's arrived over the past two seasons.  It's going to be great!

I agree that these guys are largely interchangeable.  That said, even if they are, that doesn't mean you can't improve.

Carson Kelly was worth 1.8 fWAR in 2024. McCann has been worth 1.2 fWAR the last 4 seasons combined.

Kelly was only worth .1 fWAR last year but only had 150 PA.  In 2022, he was worth .6 and 2021, 1.7...in a similar number of PA as he saw this year.

The back up C is like a dime a dozen reliever...they can be really solid one year and terrible the next but Kelly, at the very least, enters the offseason far younger and with more recent upside than McCann. 1-1.5 wins more is important in these close races.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’ve been going with the notion that since Basallo was an int’l signing versus the USA draft route, that he will be different. 

Just my opinion. Maybe he’s less stubborn to adjust, and is more hungry. Also, if he plays winter ball this year then the level of competition, and atmosphere, could really help him. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Were McCann’s defensive throwing runners out metrics down because he was Burnes’ personal catcher, and we know that Burnes didn’t care about the run game?

If Burnes is back, McCann is 💯 back. JMO. 

My only concern with McCann is Elias won't DFA him IMO. I want a backup that the O's are happy to get rid of if Bassallo has another season like last one.