Draft: My Updated Top Ten...

The following is not a list of who I feel will be the first ten players selected, but rather my list of the best ten players in the draft.

1. RHP- Stephen Strasburg... Best pitching prospect ever.

2. CF/1B- Dustin Ackley... Special bat. Position in question.

3. SS- Grant Green... Solid season, but underwhelming.

4. RHP- Aaron Crow... IMHO, the 2nd best pitcher in the draft... as of today.

5. LHP- Tyler Matzek... Arguably the top HS pitcher.

6. RHP- Kyle Gibson... Solid mid-rotation stuff.

7. RHP- Jacob Turner... Could flip-flop w/Matzek as top HS arm.

8. OF- Donovan Tate... Special athletic package.

9. LHP- Matt Purke... Excellent stuff, could be special if it all comes together.

10. RHP- Mike Leake... Great control and make-up. Tim Hudson comps.

Tanner Scheppers was next.

The following is not a list of who I feel will be the first ten players selected, but rather my list of the best ten players in the draft.

9. LHP- Matt Purke... Excellent stuff, could be special if it all comes together.

Nice list. :)

I gave you some rep, Greg. Not like you need it. :P;)

What makes u think Crow will be picked so far ahead of Scheppers? Im just curious...Im guessing due to his past health. I personally would be thrilled to have either or. Also I would be thrilled to have any one of Purke/Matzek/Turner. Im beginning to lean toward a HS pitcher more for the simple fact that there are less questions marks about them, atleast health wise. I personally think there are too many good pitchers in this draft to go with Green.

What makes u think Crow will be picked so far ahead of Scheppers? Im just curious...Im guessing due to his past health. I personally would be thrilled to have either or. Also I would be thrilled to have any one of Purke/Matzek/Turner. Im beginning to lean toward a HS pitcher more for the simple fact that there are less questions marks about them, atleast health wise. I personally think there are too many good pitchers in this draft to go with Green.

Scheppers is a risk more so than Crow, but I like Crow better regardless.

The HS arms are pretty solid at the top... no doubt.

White's not in your top 11? I think Crow is a little high and Tate is a little low, but you probably know a lot more than me :D

Nice list. I agree with you about Green. I think too many are discounting his body of work.

That's the same reason I would have Alex White in my Top 10. He's junior year reminds me of what happening with Jake Arrieta. I think he's just a bit out of sync and once he gets to work with a professional pitching coach I think he could develop into a solid top of the rotation type pitcher. As long as he's not injured I think he's still worth Top 10 consideration.

My problem with White is his secondary offerings, if he can tighten up his slider I would be so much happier with him. I thought he had a plus slider, but this year apparently it is far from that, and we know how hard it is to pitch as a 1 pitch pitcher. It doesnt matter how much his fastball sinks or how hard it is thrown, if the hitter is sitting on it, they will hit it. My thing is this, how can people preach not to discount Greens ability as a top 5 or top 10 talent due to him underperforming this year, but leave White out of the equation? White has steadily been a good performer, but this year is having a down year...IMO White is going to be a very good ML pitcher, just needs some good fine tuning. He can become a MONSTER though

White's not in your top 11? I think Crow is a little high and Tate is a little low, but you probably know a lot more than me :D

White is #12 on my "list", but will likely be a top ten pick. Crow may be high and Tate may be low... you could be right on about that. :)

Nice list. I agree with you about Green. I think too many are discounting his body of work.

That's the same reason I would have Alex White in my Top 10. He's junior year reminds me of what happening with Jake Arrieta. I think he's just a bit out of sync and once he gets to work with a professional pitching coach I think he could develop into a solid top of the rotation type pitcher. As long as he's not injured I think he's still worth Top 10 consideration.

I agree with you that White may be very good, but many of the reports on him leave me wondering if he'll wind up in the pen down the road. Time will tell... it always does. ;)

I agree with you that White may be very good, but many of the reports on him leave me wondering if he'll wind up in the pen down the road. Time will tell... it always does. ;)

Yeah, he's got a killer sinker, but you need to have some more offerings, his curve and change need a LOT of work before I'm ready to throw him into the top 5.

Yeah, he's got a killer sinker, but you need to have some more offerings, his curve and change need a LOT of work before I'm ready to throw him into the top 5.

Agreed...

I really see Strasburg/Ackley and then about 7 or 8 other guys who could go 3/4/5.

Our pick will not carry the same sort of confidence this year as last year's crop offered, but it could still be very good. Naturally we'll know more in June than we do now... so it'll sort out more clearly as we get nearer the 9th. :)

Agreed...

I really see Strasburg/Ackley and then about 7 or 8 other guys who could go 3/4/5.

Our pick will not carry the same sort of confidence this year as last year's crop offered, but it could still be very good. Naturally we'll know more in June than we do now... so it'll sort out more clearly as we get nearer the 9th. :)

Completely agreed. Let me know if you want to run ideas past each other one day and try to redo the Mock for the website one day.

Archived