Matusz Cruising again 6/5/09

bird watcher

I think it's time for him to matriculate to Bowie.

The last time he allowed a run was in the 4th inning against Lynchburg on May 20. He pitched three more shutout innings that day, and has gone 7,7, and 6 in three shutout outings since then.

That's 23 consecutive shutout innings, with 14 hits, 5 BB, 20 K.

Yeah, I'd say he has mastered High A.

The last time he allowed a run was in the 4th inning against Lynchburg on May 20. He pitched three more shutout innings that day, and has gone 7,7, and 6 in three shutout outings since then.

That's 23 consecutive shutout innings, with 14 hits, 5 BB, 20 K.

Yeah, I'd say he has mastered High A.

Time to take his curveball away from him. Or did they do that already?

Interesting that the Sox have already promoted the 19-year old Kelly after 2 months while we are still forcing Matusz (who is 4 years older) to hang around Frederick. Also interesting that the Sox got a stud like this despite drafting late in the first round. What kind of bonus did Kelly get?

Interesting that the Sox have already promoted the 19-year old Kelly after 2 months while we are still forcing Matusz (who is 4 years older) to hang around Frederick. Also interesting that the Sox got a stud like this despite drafting late in the first round. What kind of bonus did Kelly get?

Arent the Sox built to win? Have need of pitching this year. I think in a normal situation they like to move their guys slower.

Maybe they are going to have a slot opened in the pen in August or September to make a push.

You know, it figures that on a night we all be enthused about a top prospect having a great game, the Sox have another prospect, who is years younger, outpitch him. I know it is just one game and I shouldn't make much of it, but it is depressing.

MAtsuz to Bowie and Arrieta to Norfolk will happen right after the minor league all star games from what i was told.

WHICH minor league all star game? The Carolina League's game is usually 2+ weeks before the Eastern League's. One is in late June, the other is in mid-July.

MAtsuz to Bowie and Arrieta to Norfolk will happen right after the minor league all star games from what i was told.

I heard an Oriole Minor leaguer interviewed on the radio the other day. I think it was Zagone? Anyway, he indicated that the Orioles told him before the season started when he could expect to move up in the organization. I really think a lot of this is predetermined independent of performance. They would obviously not promote if someone is injured or fails miserably but they haven't shown that they will speed up the predetermined promotion schedule.

Arent the Sox built to win? Have need of pitching this year. I think in a normal situation they like to move their guys slower.

Maybe they are going to have a slot opened in the pen in August or September to make a push.

Kelly will not be pushed to the majors this season, nor probably next season. Anyway, Kelly will be shut down as a pitcher at 100 innings.

Time to take his curveball away from him. Or did they do that already?

No in fact he actually threw a bunch of curveballs and changeups last night and threw hardly any sliders, maybe just a handful. His breaking stuff was real on last night/morning. Leaving the stadium at 2:30 a.m. was a blast :eek:

I think this will be Matusz' last start at home for Frederick, and what a great way to go out at home if it is. I tried to probe him and see if this was his last outing here, didn't seem to indicate a 'yea' or 'nea' as far as going to Bowie. Regardless, this kid has been as much to watch as Wieters was last season if not more. He's a real clubhouse leader and a character himself among all of the guys.

Truth be told, I don't know much about this year's draft class, but I bet we take someone who's got similar makeup to that of Wieters and Matusz.

Archived