Matusz Cruising again 6/5/09

bird watcher

It's about time for some reasonably good news.

Matusz has looked pretty good. He escaped a jam in the second inning, took a liner off the thigh (he's OK), but he's thrown six shutout innings.

Casey Kelly has been absolutely perfect so far for Salem, 18 up and 18 down as it stands. He was helped by rightfielder Jason Place, who snagged a ball at the base of the wall on a flyout by Robbie Widlansky. Kelly's so perfect... really. Kelly's a shortstop/pitcher drafted out of high school and can't make up his mind what position he wants to play. I'd say after tonight stick with what's working best, standing atop the mound.

Frederick just escaped a bases-loaded, no out jam as Luis Lebron struck out three batters in between an infield single. Wow.... we're still scoreless as we head into the bottom of the seventh inning as Red Sox reliever Derrick Loop takes over as he takes over with the PERFECT game in the bottom of the seventh.

Matusz' line --- 6.0 IP 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K - 96 pitches, 56 strikes

Kelly's line --- 6.0 IP 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB , 6 K - 60 pitches, 45 strikes

Damn, sounds like a good game!

It's been probably top three, four game I've witnessed at the Grove. Hard to top Chorye Spoone pitching a near no-hitter to put the Keys into the Mills Cup and Hernandez' 18-K performance. Last year's no-no with Erbe and company ranks up there as well.

Kelly's so perfect... really. Kelly's a shortstop/pitcher drafted out of high school and can't make up his mind what position he wants to play. I'd say after tonight stick with what's working best, standing atop the mound.

Kelly was the Sox' first-round draft pick last season, so he's a 19-YO. Had a football and baseball scholarship to Arizona State, and I seem to remember that he gave out vibes that he definitely wanted to go to college.

He got in some Rookie League games as a SS last year, but this is his first pro season as a pitcher. He was astoundingly good in the Sally League in April and May; this is his 2nd game at High A.

I think I remember reading that the Sox will let him pitch 100 innings this year, then move him to SS for the rest of the season.

In the top of the 10th, with a man on first, Cliff Flagello allowed an RBI triple to Place as Matt Angle just missed making his FOURTH amazing catch of the day(s) and an RBI double to Luis Exposito. It's 2-0 Salem as we head towards 1:30 a.m.

It looks like both teams are going to miss last call. I however will hit mama's cough medicine heavy once I leave the Grove, someday soon I hope.

Kelly was the Sox' first-round draft pick last season, so he's a 19-YO. Had a football and baseball scholarship to Arizona State, and I seem to remember that he gave out vibes that he definitely wanted to go to college.

He got in some Rookie League games as a SS last year, but this is his first pro season as a pitcher. He was astoundingly good in the Sally League in April and May; this is his 2nd game at High A.

I think I remember reading that the Sox will let him pitch 100 innings this year, then move him to SS for the rest of the season.

At Kelly's request is he getting to play SS. The Red Sox want him to pitch. Either way, they've got a hell of a talent on their hands with this teenage phenom.

Archived