Arrieta-6-7-09

caljr

I'm not going to fault them too much because when their prospects have gotten to the majors this year they've actually looked ready. But I do think these guys are close to ready to move up, especially Patton and Matusz. Arrieta is getting there but I don't think a few more AA starts will hurt.

You are right. It won't hurt at all. Sure we all want them to move up because it means they are getting closer to the bigs. But they should get the accolades that come with their performance. Obviously the O's feel like this is a big deal and they want to see their players play with the best in the league. It is only a couple more starts and they can keep working on what they are doing well and gain momentum. It doesn't hurt them at all to throw a couple more innings where they are now if they continue to pitch with all of their pitches and have the right approach.

It is not like they are in HS or College and they are crushing the competition not using their full arsenal of pitches, our coaching staff and MiL development guys wouldn't allow that. So we shouldn't get too uptight with what level they are pitching in, especially before the AS break. If by substantially AFTER this break they are still stagnant, we should get a little concerned, IMO.

It will be fantastic to have Arrieta and Tillman together in AAA.

They will keep pushing each other, and hopefully will rise to the majors together to fill out the top of the rotation in late 2009, 2010 out of spring training.

And Matusz will not be far behind!!!

Neither will the pitcher that the Orioles draft on Tuesday!!!!!!

Among those who talk to the players, it would be nice to know if they would prefer to get promoted or to participate in the all-star games.

I imagine it looks better for the organization the more players who participate in these games. I doubt a prospect's time to the majors is impacted much by the additional time spent at a lower level to play in an all-star game.

Very impressive outing and string of outings by Arrieta.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Now overall I notice 29 K's in 17 innings. That ratio of 1.7 is top of the line for a starter!
    • Urias looks pretty cooked too though, and he's not providing the kind of defensive flexibility that Mateo is, and he doesn't have very good splits for platooning.  At least for 2023 and 2024 Mateo has had good platoon splits.
    • SSS but Holliday was playing incredible defense after like the first game or two when he seemed to have some jitters.  He had +3 OAA in a very short span.  Mateo has looked a little awkward at 2nd to be honest, and he's not the best at making the double play turn.
    • Hoping for a speedy recovery. That all happened fast. Not my initial impression reading the write up.
    • McCann looks cooked but he's in his last year and our options at backup C aren't great unless we're willing to trade for one.  But I'm not giving up a lot for a backup C.   I'd like to find a replacement for Urias.  He didn't look great last year and he's being thrust into a role that he's not really cut out for right now.  I don't think he's getting the 2022 magic back.  Maybe Westburg can go to 3rd full time and one of our 5 AAA 2nd basemen can work in with Mateo at 2nd.
    • I quoted myself, because I wanted to share something with you all.  I have memory issues.  Nothing full blown or anything, but I don't recall things nearly as well as I once did.  I mention this because it occurred to me that I posted a very similar thing about McCann last year, and he performed notably better in the 2nd half.  At least I believe so.   It's not that I feel I'm exactly wrong about McCann, but rather that he showed himself to be better just last season and could do so again.  I hope so. Memory issues are nothing to be ashamed of, though I'd be pretending if it didn't bother me.  I've been dealing with this for maybe five years or so, though it gets worse every year.  At 59, that's younger than most that have such issues.   I'm sure in a forum as populated as this one, there could be others going through what I am.  It is what it is... it's life, and I hope you're all doing your best with it. 
    • Estrada and Tejada both continued their recent surges today.  Estrada was 2 for 4 with a double, while Tejada was 3 for 3  with a homer.  Tejada has his OPS up to .737, not bad for a league where .654 is average.  Estrada is at .628 and climbing.  
  • Popular Contributors