1st Round Pick - Matt Hobgood - RHP - HS

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what Stotle said about Hobgood:

1:5 BAL - Matt Hobgood, RHP, Norco HS (CA). Not a huge fan of the pick, as we had Hobgood down in the Mid- to Late-1st Round range. We'll have more on Hobgood this evening -- to Jordan's absolute credit the raw materials are there for Hobgood to be a Joba Chamberlain-type talent. It will be interesting to see if he can follow Joba's lead with regards to trimming down some and attacking the pro lifestyle with vigor. Remember, Chamberlain didn't start to whip himself into shape until after a knee injury and three years of college. Jordan trusts his scouts, and I've liked his picks in the past, so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me -- I'd be curious to know why Wheeler was not the selection

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/gatorade-national-baseball-player-of-the-year-matt-hobgood,853497.shtml

California senior named nation's top high school performer

NORCO, Calif., June 8 /PRNewswire/ -- In its third decade of honoring the nation's best high school athletes, The Gatorade Company, in partnership with ESPN RISE, today announced senior pitcher and first baseman Matt Hobgood of Norco High School (Norco, Calif.) as its 2008-09 Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year.

Hobgood becomes only the third student-athlete from California ever to win Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year recognition, joining Florida Marlins catching prospect Kyle Skipworth (2007-08, Patriot HS/Riverside) and former NFL quarterback and Major League Baseball reliever Chad Hutchinson (1994-95, Torrey Pines HS/San Diego).

The award, which recognizes not only outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the field, distinguishes Hobgood as the nation's best high school baseball player. A national advisory board comprised of sportswriters and sport-specific experts from around the country helped select Powers from more than 478,000 high school baseball players nationwide. Hobgood is now a finalist for the prestigious Gatorade Male High School Athlete of the Year Award, to be presented at a special afternoon ceremony prior to The ESPY Awards in July.

The 6-foot-4, 250-pound senior right-handed pitcher and first baseman led the Cougars to a 25-5 record and the CIF-Southern Section Division I quarterfinals, where they fell to Mater Dei High, 7-4. Hobgood compiled an 11-1 record, a 0.92 ERA, and 101 strikeouts in 68.1 innings this spring, issuing just 26 walks. He also batted .475 with 21 home runs and 55 RBIs, amassing a 1.88 slugging percentage for Norco in 2009. The 2008 Los Angeles Times Player of the Year, Hobgood hit a game-winning two-run home run in the second round of the playoffs against Temecula Valley, also hurling a scoreless inning of relief in the eighth and striking out the side in the process. Hobgood won Norco's opening-round postseason game by pitching a complete-game one-hitter and hitting a pair of home runs against Brea Olinda High. Opposing batters hit just .151 against Hobgood this year, while he has hit safely in 24 of Norco's 30 games.

Hobgood has set school records in career pitching victories, games pitched, innings pitched, shutouts and strikeouts. Offensively, he has set school single-season and career records in home runs and RBIs. With his 39 career home runs, Hobgood also broke the Inland Empire record of 36, set by former Centennial standout Mike Stodolka in 2000.

Looks like we aren't slumming here.

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet.

Anyone wanna hear Hobgood speak? Seems like a pretty cool guy. :)

http://www.hsgametime.com/inlandsoutherncalifornia/videopage.html?nvid=361395

I'm not an "intelligence" snob when it comes to baseball, but he definitely sounds sharper than Wheeler did when they were interviewing him on TV. Granted, he was probably a lot more nervous, being on natl. TV.

Makeup wise, I can't find a fault with this guy. I really like everything he's said so far.

Cheerleaders in the dugout is a nice idea. :scratchchinhmm:

Does Wheeler throw a heavy sinker like Hobgood does?

If not, perhaps that was why they liked Hobgood slightly more...knowing that in OPACY, you need to keep the ball down.

Couldn't agree more!! Bergesen, Britton, and now our 1st rounder. Anybody see a pattern here? Throw Strikes. Work quick. Keep the ball on the ground in Camden Yards. Let the defense do their job. I like that type of pitcher in our park. Just some thoughts.

Looking at some of the video and pictures he certainly doesn't look like he is 240. If he is 240 it's certainly not a sloppy 240, he's a pretty powerfully built kid. I'm not saying he is in great shape or doesn't need to shed some pounds but he certainly doesn't look like he should be considered fat or out of shape.

Archived