1st Round Pick - Matt Hobgood - RHP - HS

Am/was disappointed that they didn't pick Matzek, but am surprised how agile Hobgood seems

In the second video he has the same mannerisms of Joba or Clemens, right down to the tugging on the pants. This guy looks like a stud to me.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This must be what it feels like to be a Pirates fan when they passed on Wieters to take Moskos. Sucks.

You'll need to point out the Wieters on the board when we drafted. This is - to summon SG - "beyond absurd/foolish/whathaveyou".

For those people worried about his weight. You have to remember he is just getting out of HS. Few if anyone is at top physical shape at the end of highschool. THis guy has not yet been a professional with unlimited time to worry about hitting the gym and getting in top physical shape. Guys who come out of HS in top physical shape are freaks of nature usually. Hobgood has probably had to worry about some of that other stuff that HS involves like class and a social life.

If his makeup is as good as they say it is then he will be in good shape by the time he plays a full professional season. Count on it.

He looks like he needs to lay off a cheeseburger.

Dude what are you talking about? He is a stalky kid but he doesn't look sloppy. Jeez, lay of the kid. He hasn't done anything but pitch and get drafted. Personal attacks are soooo not necessary or warranted.

Few if anyone is at top physical shape at the end of highschool.
Almost everyone who gets selected in the first round of any professional draft is a picture of perfect physical shape at the end of high school.

Him being in high school is no justification for his poor shape. Obviously, though, if the Orioles are willing to draft him this high, they think he will put the work in to get into better shape. He'll never be thin, but he can't be David Wells either.

I see a big kid...but I don't see someone who looks like he struggles with his weight.

I suppose I'm a little bitter with the pick, cause maybe your right about that picture specifically... But regardless I'm going to worry about any player drafted at #5 that weighs almost 250 lbs.

Just really not happy about this pick right now. Hopefully I'll have my foot in my mouth a year from now.

The O's put a lot of emphasis on makeup -- as they should, in my opinion. I'm reading a bunch of posts comparing Hobgood to Ponson, and I ask: wouldn't a pitcher with the talent and repetoire of Ponson, but off-the-charts makeup, be a pretty damned good pitcher?

That is a fantastic point, even by Frobby standards.

In my mind he leaps ahead of Britton, Zagone, Bundy, and Noel (know he has the visa issues)... I could have Spoone close to him if Spoone ever shows a return to health.

Where do you think Wheeler or Matzek would be had they been drafted?

Probably 4th. Or 5th, after Patton.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2887-Oakland-As-Examiner~y2009m6d9-First-eight-picks-locked-up-Baseball-America-says-the-order-is-clear-as-draft-begins

Pick #5: The Baltimore Orioles California HS righthander Matt Hobgood. Hobgood is known for his signability, i.e., he won't break the bank. MVN's mock draft had him 26th. So O's played it safe.
Pick #7: The Atlanta Braves Vanderbilt lefthander Mike Minor. Minor wasn't even the best left-hander on the board. That goes to Tyler Matzek who is falling because he made it clear he wants record-setting money. The Braves clearly aren't interested in paying record-setting money in 2009. Is a message being sent to agents and players?

http://masnsports.com/2009/06/another-draft-take.html Scoped right & scooped

Archived