1st Round Pick - Matt Hobgood - RHP - HS

Jim Callis from the BA Chat:

Jim: The first seven picks unfolded as were heard they would Monday afternoon. Hobgood was in the mix for a lot of teams, as a nice package of abilty and signability. He wasn't one of the five elite HS arms (Matzek, Turner, Wheeler, Purke, Miller), but he was close and he would sign very easily. My guess is Wheeler wanted something over slot and Hobgood agreed to something under slot.
John: Then we have to ask about, well, the instant analysis of "losers" seems ridiculous to say but it is what it is. What teams left you wanting a bit more?

Jim: I don't want to use the word losers either. I'll start with the Pirates. I believe they'll sink their savings into boosting up later picks, but I don't love Tony Sanchez at No. 4. Great defense, not sold on the bat. The Orioles could have spent on a better pitcher, but Hobgood is pretty good.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2009/268323.html' rel="external nofollow">

Pre-draft.

If his terrific stuff combined with a more projectable build, he would probably be drafted even higher, but as it stands he should go no later than the second or third round.

Hobgood not being one of the five top high school arms and possibly going in the third is more than discouraging, but again, I've never seen the guy pitch, and Joe Jordan has and was extremely impressed.

It just frustrates many O's fans that there are many rumors floating around that we took a guy who was willing to take less instead of going for, according to most sources, a greater arm is Matzek or Wheeler.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m no scout, but a kid who throws a mid 90’s fastball with good movement and supposedly has the best curveball in HS seems like a top 10 pick to me. He has a clean delivery from everything I read, and could be an innings eater with his solid frame. Also, people rave about his makeup. What’s not to like?

His changeup probably sucks like most HS kids, but they can teach him to throw that. I read that his command is so-so, but we'll have to see how that unfolds as he progresses through the minors.

Not to de-rail this thread but where do you get that?

Strasburg, Ackley and Tate all went 1-2-3. And all were Boras clients.

Turner went 9th, Green only dropped to #13 and K. Davis went #39

It was a banner day for Boras clients all around IMO, probably Boras' best showing in the draft ever.

Yeah, it was really the HS pitchers that shot themselves in the foot. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of them not sign and come back in 2 years. If you were Matzek and not getting the $7 mil you want would you want to sign and play in COL?

Back on topic though. After sleeping on it, I'm still not a fan of the Hobgood pick at #5, not with Wheeler sitting there who might have taken a bit over slot, but would have signed, and the fact that they preached, BPA BPA and then take the easiest sign. Just too many issues for me, having conditioning problems, only having 2 pitches, and being about 6th on the list of HS pitchers just does not work for me, but it's Joe's draft, I hope he gets the last laugh.

In January 2005, his father, Rick, died of colon cancer at 48, leaving his wife, Becky, four daughters and Matt.

This kid is going to sign, if for no other reason than to help his family out

Yeah, he is probably the easiest sign in the first round, either him or Storen.

Yeah, it was really the HS pitchers that shot themselves in the foot. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of them not sign and come back in 2 years. If you were Matzek and not getting the $7 mil you want would you want to sign and play in COL?

Back on topic though. After sleeping on it, I'm still not a fan of the Hobgood pick at #5, not with Wheeler sitting there who might have taken a bit over slot, but would have signed, and the fact that they preached, BPA BPA and then take the easiest sign. Just too many issues for me, having conditioning problems, only having 2 pitches, and being about 6th on the list of HS pitchers just does not work for me, but it's Joe's draft, I hope he gets the last laugh.

Yea..this kid sounds like he could be a good one but I don't think there is much doubt, outside of the Orioles offices, that the Orioles passed on a lot of guys with better talent.

Again, I am not going to say it was a bad pick but I felt they should have gone another direction.

I'm ok with what I've read here so far, but mostly I trust Jordan and his team to do their jobs. I care more about them using their knowledge and observations to get the best players moreso than what Baseball America or the like says. Lately they seem to have had more hits than misses, IMO.

I'll be sure to catch this kid pitching at Bluefield and get some observations and perhaps video for everyone.

Yea..this kid sounds like he could be a good one but I don't think there is much doubt, outside of the Orioles offices, that the Orioles passed on a lot of guys with better talent.

Again, I am not going to say it was a bad pick but I felt they should have gone another direction.

Completely agree. It's hard to look at any HS kid and say no way, that was just stupid, because they have so much growing and developing to do, he could end up being an absolute stud, just from where they are now I think a few others had more projection in them.

Jim Callis from the BA Chat:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2009/268323.html' rel="external nofollow">

Pre-draft.

Hobgood not being one of the five top high school arms and possibly going in the third is more than discouraging, but again, I've never seen the guy pitch, and Joe Jordan has and was extremely impressed.

It just frustrates many O's fans that there are many rumors floating around that we took a guy who was willing to take less instead of going for, according to most sources, a greater arm is Matzek or Wheeler.

So because Callis says this is true it's true? Didn't Jordan come out and say he liked Hobgood the best out of the high school arms? Why do you think Jordan is lying to us? What has given you ANY indication that Jordan does not speak the truth? He's been very straight with his answers all along and only time will tell whether his selection will be a good one, but it's clear to me that Hobgood was not just a signability pick.

So because Callis says this is true it's true? Didn't Jordan come out and say he liked Hobgood the best out of the high school arms? Why do you think Jordan is lying to us? What has given you ANY indication that Jordan does not speak the truth? He's been very straight with his answers all along and only time will tell whether his selection will be a good one, but it's clear to me that Hobgood was not just a signability pick.

The question isn't is Jordan lying, the question is, is he right in his assessment?

Most disagree with him, so we shall see.

Ultimately though, it seems Jordan just rated this kid higher than everyone else and felt he was the way to go...Obviously, they were ready to take Ackley if he fell, so we know they would have spent money and dealt with a Boras client.

Tony, it's just a case of people believing what they want to believe no matter who else says anything to the contrary.

I don't get why people put more stock into what Callis and what writers say over Joe Jordan.

You seem to be forgetting, Tony. Baseball America, Scouts, Inc., etc. are the bastions of truth in the baseball universe. They know more than the amateur scouts that are actually emmployed by MLB teams.

The question isn't is Jordan lying, the question is, is he right in his assessment?

Most disagree with him, so we shall see.

Ultimately though, it seems Jordan just rated this kid higher than everyone else and felt he was the way to go...Obviously, they were ready to take Ackley if he fell, so we know they would have spent money and dealt with a Boras client.

Who are the "most" that disagree with him? 3-4 internet sites?

Playing devils advocate, it was almost a certified lock that Ackley would be taken in the first 4 picks. If everyone was 100% sure Strasburg would go #1, everyone could have been 100% sure that Ackley would have gone 1-4, no problem.

That said, Jordan making that quote is playing it safe.

On the flip side of that Jordan seems to be a guy of his word and Ackley fallen for some inexplicable reason, I think we would have taken him, too.

Archived