Adams sent home

3M9

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that big of a surprise.

It really is to me. There are two guys in Frederick that I have heard all of these allegations of personality thrown to, and Adams is not one of them. I've heard that he is a hard worker and is not out there showboating, but now since there was some closed door reason he was sent home people are drawing conclusions about the rest of the time?

Maybe Adam could tell me otherwise, but everything I have heard about him to this point is pretty much opposite of the conclusions being drawn in this thread. Could we just agree to say he had a very inappropriate outburst most likely aimed at the wrong person, and it was a one time thing? Just because something happened once doesn't mean that is what he was like every day (we would have heard about it by now).

Just know that players, especially HIGH draft picks, are not sent home because of a single (or even a few) outbursts. This was something building over a long period of time. Adams is a religous "work out" type of guy, but this isn't a body building business. His defense is horrendous and he does NOT work hard at that by any means.

Bottom line, he's likely got one shot left...

It really is to me. There are two guys in Frederick that I have heard all of these allegations of personality thrown to, and Adams is not one of them. I've heard that he is a hard worker and is not out there showboating, but now since there was some closed door reason he was sent home people are drawing conclusions about the rest of the time?

Maybe Adam could tell me otherwise, but everything I have heard about him to this point is pretty much opposite of the conclusions being drawn in this thread. Could we just agree to say he had a very inappropriate outburst most likely aimed at the wrong person, and it was a one time thing? Just because something happened once doesn't mean that is what he was like every day (we would have heard about it by now).

This is merely speculation, but I believe Adams is frustrated by injuries, his problems playing 2B, and his lack of progression. He said something he shouldn't have said to Hebner, who is hardly a forgiving guy (as well as an awful manager, even for a minor leaguer). That's likely where his year ended.

Just know that players, especially HIGH draft picks, are not sent home because of a single (or even a few) outbursts. This was something building over a long period of time. Adams is a religous "work out" type of guy, but this isn't a body building business. His defense is horrendous and he does NOT work hard at that by any means.

Bottom line, he's likely got one shot left...

I guess I can quit looking for his stats on MiLB. Another one bites the dust.

The problem the O's continue to have is that rather than "teach" these kids what maturation is all about, they simply "reward" them w/ playing time and promotions.

Both Tyler Henson, Billy Rowell and Ryan Adams have been in professional ball for four years and are all at A-Ball. I don't see how you can say that either of them have been rewarded with playing time or promotions. Berken, Britton, and Davis from the same draft year have performed well and been promoted. Pedro Beato finally got out of Frederick mid-way through this year, and that was probably more due to a system need than his performance - but, he's the only player that I would say has been promoted beyond what his performance merits.

Adams consistently does the following: 1) doesn't run hard on plays 2) will NOT make adjustments in the field...doesn't take coaching or doesn't get it 3) misses signals 4) takes plays off 5) doesn't have a CLUE as to how to play the "team" game...meaning advancing runners for the sake of the team, etc.

Adams set a SALLY league record for errors (and that's w/ the organization using him as a DH as much as possible so as to help him avoid that dubious record) yet STILL gets advanced to Hi-A. Nice reward

Rowell cannot catch a cold, played an entire season and didn't have to have his uniform washed, misses signals ALL THE TIME, has no clue about team baseball, lets his pitchers down ALL THE TIME yet won't take ownership, won't even talk to them, complains loudly about field conditions being the problem, is an awful teammate, and much more yet gets promoted to Frederick. Granted, repeated at Frederick but is IN THE LINEUP EVERY NIGHT. Nice reward for awful effort.

Behaving any way you want and being in the lineup, regardless of that, is a REWARD. You might not agree, but that's the case.

Finally, not sure how you come to conclusion Hebner is an awful manager. When you have the WORST defense in the league, not much you can do about it.

Adams consistently does the following: 1) doesn't run hard on plays 2) will NOT make adjustments in the field...doesn't take coaching or doesn't get it 3) misses signals 4) takes plays off 5) doesn't have a CLUE as to how to play the "team" game...meaning advancing runners for the sake of the team, etc.

Adams set a SALLY league record for errors (and that's w/ the organization using him as a DH as much as possible so as to help him avoid that dubious record) yet STILL gets advanced to Hi-A. Nice reward

Rowell cannot catch a cold, played an entire season and didn't have to have his uniform washed, misses signals ALL THE TIME, has no clue about team baseball, lets his pitchers down ALL THE TIME yet won't take ownership, won't even talk to them, complains loudly about field conditions being the problem, is an awful teammate, and much more yet gets promoted to Frederick. Granted, repeated at Frederick but is IN THE LINEUP EVERY NIGHT. Nice reward for awful effort.

Behaving any way you want and being in the lineup, regardless of that, is a REWARD. You might not agree, but that's the case.

Finally, not sure how you come to conclusion Hebner is an awful manager. When you have the WORST defense in the league, not much you can do about it.

It would appear, based on what you have written in this thread, that you go to a lot of Keys games and follow the team very closely. So, just curious -- who do you like on this team? Who in your opinion has a big league future?

Honestly, I had never heard any negative words about Adams' attitude or demeanor until this thread came along. Obviously the guy does have issues, if the team sent him home. But I think his bat last year at Delmarva was too good to leave him there even if his fielding was poor. You can continue to work on fielding no matter where you are in the system, but if you are at a level that is too easy for you as a hitter, you are wasting time at that level.

I'm inclined to say the same about Rowell at Delmarva. He had a pretty good OPS there, especially for an 18-year old. I thought his promotion was warranted. But, he's certainly floundered the last 2 years. It would be tough to give up on a no. 1 pick who is still only 20 years old, but it's tempting.

Who do I like on the Keys?

Britton...stays healthy, will be a big leaguer for someone

Florimon...if he can overcome his mental lapses, maintain offensive growth

Angle...if he stays above the ball at the plate, he's a very good OF

Henson...tools, but until he changes his swing, he won't accomplish what he's capable of - but he IS capable of being a "guy"

Tucker...age is considered an issue, but he can play EVERY position, hits from both sides of the plate...could be a great "utility" player which every org. needs.

Waring...big league power, very good arm, but not great range - may need to move to first. Cut down on K's (swing is a little long)

Gleason...great "competitor", just needs to learn to control it and improve change up

Finally, there is much more to be learned than just "OPS". I agree w/ you that defense can supposedly be "learned" at any level. However, if a player displays so many "non-measurable" things so poorly then do NOT reward him. Make him replay at Delmarva, show a much improved (not like his OPS was amazing) OPS, but more so show that he can "compete" (make adjustments, learn how to play the team game, be a good teammate, get uniform dirty, etc.). Don't play him EVERY day just because you paid him a ton of money. Make him EARN the money.

I am sure most have seen this article:

http://masnsports.com/2009/08/os-suspend-minor-leaguer-adams.html

I find Stockstill's statements diplomatic, to say the least. Stockstill was very circumspect in his comments about Adams and Mariotti. Not a bad thing in these circumstances, I guess.

"Ryan is a young man that is full of energy. I wouldn't say we've had any problems in the past. He is gung ho and goes 100 percent. There's always a possibility of people butting heads in baseball. I wouldn't say we've had any problems in the past."

I hope it is a wake up call for Adams.

AM's comments on a change of scenery seem to mean a new organization moreso than a move up or down in the organization. I'd guess that Rowell is released or traded for peanuts after the season.

When/where did AM make those comments? I missed them. thx.

Good God. Sounds like the young Montanez. Montanez spent the better part of a decade sleepwalking his way thru the minors. Sad to hear this stuff.

When/where did AM make those comments? I missed them. thx.

He was talking about him moving up to Bowie and said that repeating Frederick didn't make any sense for his development, he also said that as a kid just about to turn 21 it is way too early to give up on him. It was in a Sun article right after he went to Frederick last week sometime.

I do remember a Joe Jordan interview after Adam's second season in which he talked or hinted about Adams being a little stubborn about taking instruction. That's my memory. I don't remember hearing much more than that though. The Rowell comments are just more confirmation about comments that were made even before he was drafted. Take away the alleged attitude problems of Adams and you're left with a guy who can't field like a middle infielder or hit enough for another position. I wouldn't say the book is closed on Adams but his bat is going to have to take a quantum jump for him to have a ML future. Rowell is toast. AM's comments on a change of scenery seem to mean a new organization moreso than a move up or down in the organization. I'd guess that Rowell is released or traded for peanuts after the season.

I took the change of scenery as in forcing him into Bowie's lineup and then leaving him exposed in the rule 5 if he didn't show any improvement.

Archived