Adams sent home

3M9

Good God. Sounds like the young Montanez. Montanez spent the better part of a decade sleepwalking his way thru the minors. Sad to hear this stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just strange when these things come out of left field, and if he had been a problem in or around the clubhouse, it would have come out before now.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't worry too much. Just strange when these things come out of left field, and if he had been a problem in or around the clubhouse, it would have come out before now.

Why so sure of this? How many teams have we heard about clubhouse problems only after they have been overcome or resolved through trade/release?

He was talking about him moving up to Bowie and said that repeating Frederick didn't make any sense for his development, he also said that as a kid just about to turn 21 it is way too early to give up on him. It was in a Sun article right after he went to Frederick last week sometime.

MacPhail never mentioned moving him up to Bowie.

From the http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/sports/display.htm?storyID=94197

Rowell, the Orioles' top pick in the 2006 draft, is batting .225 with the Keys this year after hitting just .248 last year.

"I would think he would benefit from a change of scenery," MacPhail said. "His bat hasn't come around like we hoped when we drafted him. He's still young."

Rowell will be 21 on Sept. 10.

All I can take away from that quote is that he won't be at Frederick again next year. He can go up (Bowie), down (Delmarva), or out (trade/release).

I heard that Billy was told that he's going to AA next year (that's from a couple weeks ago). That would be typical for the O's organization and another example of rewarding poor attitude and performance.

Irregardless of age, Rowell is the WORST player on the entire roster for the Keys. Worst attitude on the team as well. He'll be 21 in a couple weeks. If he were in college, he'd be a SR this year. SR's in college are LEADERS, dedicated workers, etc. Rowell is none of those.

Rowell has more errors, as an individual, than most entire OF's have. His attitude is awful, his OPS is virtually LAST of all "qualified" players in the league...and they're discussing moving him to AA?!

MacPhail never mentioned moving him up to Bowie.

From the http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/sports/display.htm?storyID=94197

All I can take away from that quote is that he won't be at Frederick again next year. He can go up (Bowie), down (Delmarva), or out (trade/release).

Ok, maybe I just inferred it, because he pretty clearly says that won't keep him there, but when saying he's still young, I got the impression they weren't giving up on him. I don't think that will happen until he's rule 5 eligible.

I'd venture a guess, hopefully I'm incorrect, that he'll be moved to AA, play EVERY day again, cause the same issues and take another team down the drain for one more year.

The issue is that a player like Rowell, or Adams for that fact, cause so many "unseen" problems but management ignores them because they have so much money tied up in them. This impacts the careers of several guys around them and it impacts "winning" which is something that is LEARNED. It doesn't just happen. We have a lot of "losing" giong on and that carries over to the big leagues. It would serve the O's much better to let that infection go to another organization, $ or not, and let them deal w/ it.

I heard that Billy was told that he's going to AA next year (that's from a couple weeks ago). That would be typical for the O's organization and another example of rewarding poor attitude and performance.

Irregardless of age, Rowell is the WORST player on the entire roster for the Keys. Worst attitude on the team as well. He'll be 21 in a couple weeks. If he were in college, he'd be a SR this year. SR's in college are LEADERS, dedicated workers, etc. Rowell is none of those.

Rowell has more errors, as an individual, than most entire OF's have. His attitude is awful, his OPS is virtually LAST of all "qualified" players in the league...and they're discussing moving him to AA?!

It won't be rewarding him much if he can't hit there either. It might mean more that he is being viewed more as organizational filler.

It won't be rewarding him much if he can't hit there either. It might mean more that he is being viewed more as organizational filler.

I don't know why you would use someone widely viewed as a clubhouse chlamydia as organizational filler. Those positions should be occupied by guys who aren't going anywhere because of their limited talent but are happy and grateful to have the chance to play baseball for money on any level and aren't going to be anything but a positive influence on their teammates who might be going up to the big club. As long as Rowell is still around, it's because they haven't given up on the chance of him getting his act together and being valuable in the future.

Rowell cannot catch a cold, played an entire season and didn't have to have his uniform washed, misses signals ALL THE TIME, has no clue about team baseball, lets his pitchers down ALL THE TIME yet won't take ownership, won't even talk to them, complains loudly about field conditions being the problem, is an awful teammate, and much more yet gets promoted to Frederick. Granted, repeated at Frederick but is IN THE LINEUP EVERY NIGHT. Nice reward for awful effort.

Behaving any way you want and being in the lineup, regardless of that, is a REWARD. You might not agree, but that's the case.

I don't have full access to the Keys (do you?), but from what I've seen, Rowell has been working very hard this year. Multiple times when I got to games early, he was the first on the field to warmup. I've never seen him not put effort into a game. It doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but not putting in effort isn't a daily problem.

He hasn't played well on the field, but I think the other stuff may be overblown.

I don't have full access to the Keys (do you?), but from what I've seen, Rowell has been working very hard this year. Multiple times when I got to games early, he was the first on the field to warmup. I've never seen him not put effort into a game. It doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but not putting in effort isn't a daily problem.

He hasn't played well on the field, but I think the other stuff may be overblown.

Thanks for this prospective - I've only heard the same from Stockstill. As a side note, perhaps the "change of scenary" is also getting away from Hebner. I have heard from others that Richie is not that good with young players who may "challenge" his "authority". If this is true, both Adams and Rowell should benefit by going to play under Komminsk - a really fine manager. If no improvement, then it is time to think bust.

As for Billy being on the field before everyone else, that certainly doesn't mean he's "working hard". It means he doesn't care about being part of a "team" so he does his own thing. He constantly misses signals, he can't hit/run, he can't bunt, he honestly STRUGGLES to catch fly balls. MANY soft fly balls land in front of him because he will NOT put in any effort to catch them. He walks to balls that are hit for goodness sakes.

As for Adams and his "being nice"...that's great. He SHOULD be nice - all of the players should be nice to fans (those that are responsible for their paychecks). However, if you watch the game closely he does not do "team" things. He does "individual" things. And,he doesn't do them very well (for a HIGH draft pick).

As for my "insight"...yes, it's more than simply watching a game. I played the game in college, have been a student of the game for some time, scouted professionally for 10 years and know many of the players.

As for my "insight"...yes, it's more than simply watching a game. I played the game in college, have been a student of the game for some time, scouted professionally for 10 years and know many of the players.

That is helpful to know, thanks. Do you go to all the Keys home games? Sounds like you go to a lot, anyway.

You know, now that you mention it, Rowell was one of a handful of position players who were present at Spring Training days earlier than he was required to be, when otherwise only pitchers and catchers had reported. When we saw him, he was working on his bunt technique, and he seemed eager to take direction rather than otherwise. I remember thinking what a good sign it was that he had shown up early, seemingly eager to get help.

Just another data point.

Archived