The top HS picks for 2010

Allstar vs. Stotle, Cole vs. Taillon smackdown! Discuss!

Meh, we don't always agree on everyone, if we did it'd be pretty boring around here. It's still pretty far away from decision time, so you'll see a lot of differing opinions. I like Cole a bit than Taillon, he likes Taillon a bit more than Cole. I was really high on Matzek last year, more than most, and I don't like projecting HS kids before they are into their senior years, too much change physically, mentally and emotionally for me. It could end up being any one of 4 or 5 arms at the top of the HS pitcher list by the time it's all said and done.

Plus he's got an advantage over me so far, I didn't see the Aflac game, he's got more data.

I like Cole a whole lot. Taillon has just been really special each time I've seen him. Most recently, in the Under Armour and Aflac games he went 3 IP, 7 Ks, 0 BB, 0 H, mid-90s with his fastball and two good breaking balls. Big workhorse build and solid mechanics.
Meh, we don't always agree on everyone, if we did it'd be pretty boring around here. It's still pretty far away from decision time, so you'll see a lot of differing opinions. I like Cole a bit than Taillon, he likes Taillon a bit more than Cole. I was really high on Matzek last year, more than most, and I don't like projecting HS kids before they are into their senior years, too much change physically, mentally and emotionally for me. It could end up being any one of 4 or 5 arms at the top of the HS pitcher list by the time it's all said and done.

Plus he's got an advantage over me so far, I didn't see the Aflac game, he's got more data.

Boooring. I was hoping you guys would run with it and get all uppity on each other.

Just kidding, I know it's early and these guys really aren't that far apart from each other. I just wanted to hear you both opine more about Cole and Taillon because I respect both of your opinions.

To me, the development of Taillon's slider and changeup will go along way to determining his ceiling. Right now I couldn't pick between him and Cole, but I've only seen video.

Boooring. I was hoping you guys would run with it and get all uppity on each other.

Just kidding, I know it's early and these guys really aren't that far apart from each other. I just wanted to hear you both opine more about Cole and Taillon because I respect both of your opinions.

To me, the development of Taillon's slider and changeup will go along way to determining his ceiling. Right now I couldn't pick between him and Cole, but I've only seen video.

I know what you were fishing for ;) Fact is 80% of the time we agree anyway, so it's really not that much fun to see us go back and forth. Usually closer to draft time since he's much better at keeping up on these guys further away from the draft and I try to withhold opinion until the spring.

I'm still trying to get around to watching the UA game again and making some more thorough notes, I got caught up watching the game and missed a chunk, luckily I DVR'ed it :) (Sorry Stotle, not having much luck figuring out how to get the file off my DVR either, I'll let you know when I figure out another way to make a copy).

I know what you were fishing for ;) Fact is 80% of the time we agree anyway, so it's really not that much fun to see us go back and forth. Usually closer to draft time since he's much better at keeping up on these guys further away from the draft and I try to withhold opinion until the spring.

I'm still trying to get around to watching the UA game again and making some more thorough notes, I got caught up watching the game and missed a chunk, luckily I DVR'ed it :) (Sorry Stotle, not having much luck figuring out how to get the file off my DVR either, I'll let you know when I figure out another way to make a copy).

No worries. I may try to get a tape from the UA guys. I just wanted a version to break down on tape as I only got video of the pitchers on my camera.

No worries. I may try to get a tape from the UA guys. I just wanted a version to break down on tape as I only got video of the pitchers on my camera.

Gotcha, I was just trying to find someone with a component DVD recorder (like a digital VHS) and I could do it, but haven't had much luck yet. Let me know if you get a copy, I'll keep trying til then.

So tell me what you thought of Harper from Aflac. I saw him in person in June, but only in a workout/practice.

Gotcha, I was just trying to find someone with a component DVD recorder (like a digital VHS) and I could do it, but haven't had much luck yet. Let me know if you get a copy, I'll keep trying til then.

So tell me what you thought of Harper from Aflac. I saw him in person in June, but only in a workout/practice.

His swing is longer than it was this spring. Still has incredible bat speed. Was pressing some but also ran into a couple of great pitches from Bedrosian and Smelter.

Defensively he was his normal self from an arm strength/accuracy standpoint. Needs to clean-up receiving but can be a plus defender in his lateral movements and blocking.

That's the short version but covers a lot of the big points, I think.

Archived