The top HS picks for 2010

Well, I am doing my pre draft research so I can be sure to have as much knowledge on the 2010 drafft as possible. I do have a question to some of teh drafat gurus around. Its no secret that the HS class of this year coming up, especially the arms looks to be pretty special. My question is, who looks to be the top dog out of all of these kids?

We have:

Jameson Tailon who is my early favorite. His stuff seems to be about as good as AJ Cole, but IM what separates him from what I can see if his projectability. The kid is 6'7 and already is touching 98 MPH. He also has a power curve thats proejcted as a plus pitch and no mention of a 3rd pitch.

AJ Cole who seems to have the same TOR quality stuff as Tailon does, a mid 90 fastball that also touched 98 and a plus curve ball. Also hes working on a change up. Hes listed at 6'5 and also has projection left, but not as much as Tailon IMO.

Cam Bedrosian IMO is #3 IMO. He throws a fastball that touches mid 90's, potential plus slider and developing change.....

So obviously these are all very basic reports. I do not know how any of their command is or mound presence, pitchability or any other intangibles. Who is the top dog? Which one of these guys was said to be the best HS draftee pitcher since Beckett/ Porcello?

And also Ill add this to the discussion since Im in the mood to discuss 2010 draftees, as it stands right now, who are you in favor of drafting? I am really liking Taillon. I only hope that hes available to us where ever we are going to be picking at. The kid is filthy and already has as good or better stuff as the 2 college guys wed be choosing from, Pomeranz and Ranaudo. Cole would be a nice consolation prize as well, but if we did take Taillon, Id bet hed pass Hobgood as far as development-wise and would make the ML quicker......

From what I've been reading on here, next year's draft seems to be much deeper than the one we just finished up.

With the fourth pick (as it stands now), and players such as Harper, Taillon, Cole, Ranaudo and Pomeranz to pick from, I can't say I'll be disappointed with anybody we select.

From what I've read, Cole is my favorite. If we are putting a HS arm in the same class at Beckett and Porcello, they need to be able to reach the bigs within 2 years, and that's not happening with only two pitches. At the same time, Taillon's numbers make you drool and it would be great to add an arm like that with that kind of projection to the system.

From what I've been reading on here, next year's draft seems to be much deeper than the one we just finished up.

With the fourth pick (as it stands now), and players such as Harper, Taillon, Cole, Ranaudo and Pomeranz to pick from, I can't say I'll be disappointed with anybody we select.

From what I've read, Cole is my favorite. If we are putting a HS arm in the same class at Beckett and Porcello, they need to be able to reach the bigs within 2 years, and that's not happening with only two pitches. At the same time, Taillon's numbers make you drool and it would be great to add an arm like that with that kind of projection to the system.

Im not sure if Taillon only has 2 pitches, but it only mentions 2 in the write up I just read about him. Its just ridiculous hes as good as he is right now and still has projection left.

And I agree, theres a lot more depth in the case of premium talent at the top.

Even more important is who will fall to later rounds and might be a great pick for rounds 2- 10.

At this point and time its a bit tougher to guage this as much because a lot of kids in the 2-10 range can come back out in 2010 throwing 5 MPH harder and making a 10th rounder a 1st rounder. Im not so sure on the depth, but 09 had very good depth in the latetr rounds for sure...But a pick like Taillon for me means more than 5 or 6 second rounders.

It's really early to tell with HS kids, but for me the top pitchers are Cole, and then Bedrosian, and hitters are Harper and then Castellanos. I try to wait until April/May before I make a real solid decision on HS kids though because they can do so much more or less over one season. Yordy Cabrera is also starting to look pretty solid to me but I need to see more of him at SS. Sprinkle in Bentz and Renaudo (who I think is a little overhyped) and it's shaping up to be a solid draft this year.

It's really early to tell with HS kids, but for me the top pitchers are Cole, and then Bedrosian, and hitters are Harper and then Castellanos. I try to wait until April/May before I make a real solid decision on HS kids though because they can do so much more or less over one season. Yordy Cabrera is also starting to look pretty solid to me but I need to see more of him at SS. Sprinkle in Bentz and Renaudo (who I think is a little overhyped) and it's shaping up to be a solid draft this year.

So youd take Bedrosian and Cole over Taillon at this point? Which one of these HS kids was being referred to as the best HS arm since Porcello/Beckett?

Nevermind- Thats AJ Cole being thrown around with Beckett and Porcello...

And Im guessing what separates Cole from Taillon is that Taillon lacks the 3rd pitch which isnt mentioned in any writeups on him. They both have projection left, but Bedrosian looks to have very little projection left....

So youd take Bedrosian and Cole over Taillon at this point? Which one of these HS kids was being referred to as the best HS arm since Porcello/Beckett?

Nevermind- Thats AJ Cole being thrown around with Beckett and Porcello...

And Im guessing what separates Cole from Taillon is that Taillon lacks the 3rd pitch which isnt mentioned in any writeups on him. They both have projection left, but Bedrosian looks to have very little projection left....

I mean, it's far out, these kids can develop a new pitch in a span of a few weeks at this level, who knows what they are working on and haven't shown yet? But yeah, every year there are guys with great arms, two above average pitches, and guys jump all over them.

Cole looks pretty elite to me so far, when it's on, his curve is money and a great compliment to a hard fastball with good movement. That's two potential plus pitches for me, which is a great start from an 18 year old. Bedrosian has a pedigree, and poise, which goes far with me. You can't teach the mental side of the game, and he's good there, while he might not be as spectacular as the other two, I think his 92-95 fastball and a breaking ball that is almost 20mph different is going to be good. Tallion looks like he could have a plus slider to go with a 95mph fastball with good control, but the curve is a work in progress aka, needs some work, and the fastball was pretty straight. ML hitters will hit a well commanded fastball if it doesn't move much. I reserve the right to do a 180 on these guys come draft time, which is why I generally don't get too into them yet, but that's my early read.

I mean, it's far out, these kids can develop a new pitch in a span of a few weeks at this level, who knows what they are working on and haven't shown yet? But yeah, every year there are guys with great arms, two above average pitches, and guys jump all over them.

Cole looks pretty elite to me so far, when it's on, his curve is money and a great compliment to a hard fastball with good movement. That's two potential plus pitches for me, which is a great start from an 18 year old. Bedrosian has a pedigree, and poise, which goes far with me. You can't teach the mental side of the game, and he's good there, while he might not be as spectacular as the other two, I think his 92-95 fastball and a breaking ball that is almost 20mph different is going to be good. Tallion looks like he could have a plus slider to go with a 95mph fastball with good control, but the curve is a work in progress aka, needs some work, and the fastball was pretty straight. ML hitters will hit a well commanded fastball if it doesn't move much. I reserve the right to do a 180 on these guys come draft time, which is why I generally don't get too into them yet, but that's my early read.

Nice, so it looks as though these 3 HSer's are all gonna be better prospects right off bat than Matzek, 09's top HS pitcher. I am right now leaning toward one of these HS arms or Brentz

Nice, so it looks as though these 3 HSer's are all gonna be better prospects right off bat than Matzek, 09's top HS pitcher. I am right now leaning toward one of these HS arms or Brentz

Hmmm....I'd put Matzek right there with them, ahead of Tallion, behind Cole and probably ahead of Bedrosian.

Brentz could be Jason Bay, could be Reimold, or could be Matt Stairs. I'm not 100% sure on him yet, I do like him, I just have a big note next to him, see him live first.

Brentz seemed to kinda come out of nowhere last year....It will be interesting to see if he can come close to matching what he did in 09. I just really like the top 5 this coming up draft. Theres gonna be a little bit of everything in it. Safe high ceiling college arms, some advanced college bats with plus power, very high ceiling HS arms.....cant wait to follow it.....

I think most scouts you'd talk to would say Taillon is even with, or a notch ahead of, where Matzek was last year. Cole and Bedrosian a notch behind. Probably Whitson, as well as perhaps 1 or 2 more arms, ahead of Bedrosian.

Hmmm....I'd put Matzek right there with them, ahead of Tallion, behind Cole and probably ahead of Bedrosian.

Brentz could be Jason Bay, could be Reimold, or could be Matt Stairs. I'm not 100% sure on him yet, I do like him, I just have a big note next to him, see him live first.

I think most scouts you'd talk to would say Taillon is even with, or a notch ahead of, where Matzek was last year. Cole and Bedrosian a notch behind. Probably Whitson, as well as perhaps 1 or 2 more arms, ahead of Bedrosian.

Allstar vs. Stotle, Cole vs. Taillon smackdown! Discuss!

Allstar vs. Stotle, Cole vs. Taillon smackdown! Discuss!

I like Cole a whole lot. Taillon has just been really special each time I've seen him. Most recently, in the Under Armour and Aflac games he went 3 IP, 7 Ks, 0 BB, 0 H, mid-90s with his fastball and two good breaking balls. Big workhorse build and solid mechanics.

Archived