Someone Sign Sal Fasano Now

CrimsonTribe

If the Rockies and O'Dowd are aware of this situation, as the article suggests, they could have brought Fasano up when the rosters expanded. But, they were in the chase for a division title at the time, so it's understandable why they didn't if they didn't believe he would help the team. Well, the Rockies are now pretty much guaranteed the NL wild card slot, and they could still call him up, I guess.

I feel for Fasano, and I truly hope some team will reach out, do the right thing, and pick him up for the last few games of the season to help him and his son. But, life isn't always fair, and as the Rolling Stones once sang, "you can't always get what you want."

Gosh, you'd think that even a team couldn't sign him for just a day that some of the players might get wind of this and pool some of their multi millions and get Sal's son his surgery.

It would be a good thing that the Orioles could do for someone who spent some time here.

Having a son with serious health problems- this story is disheartening. The Yanks can spend billions of dollars on a stadium and 500 million on 3 players but this guy has to worry about paying for a heart surgery for his son.

The Rockies should do the right thing.

The right thing would have been for Fasano to purchase the COBRA insurance rather than gamble on the kindness of a Major League franchise. That said, I really hope a Major League team picks him up.

I agree to an extent but really how much of a gamble was it that he would spend at least one day on a major league roster?

Question: Would he get the same type of health care if he just had a job with a team? Maybe he should retire from playing and try to become a coach somewhere...

I agree to an extent but really how much of a gamble was it that he would spend at least one day on a major league roster?

Question: Would he get the same type of health care if he just had a job with a team? Maybe he should retire from playing and try to become a coach somewhere...

I wondered about coaching myself.

Clearly it was a gamble in that it actually happened. Don't you think it was worth paying the $20,000 for even a one percent chance that he wasn't going to be on a big league roster? As I posted on the Wieters extension thread, it all comes down to risk aversion. Many healthy people try to save money by not purchasing insurance and then have something happen to them. They are able to spend more on other things than a person in a similar situation who does spend money on health insurance. It is a risk and you are aware of it going in. These people that don't purchase health insurance don't get bailed out by a Major League franchise.

Health insurance is not currently a right in our country. Children are somewhat protected, but not to the extent to pay all the bills that Fasano's son has accrued. Not to get too political but there are people who believe that health care should be a fundamental right and other people who believe it shouldn't be. We have a voice in our democracy to support one opinion or the other.

The right thing would have been for Fasano to purchase the COBRA insurance rather than gamble on the kindness of a Major League franchise. That said, I really hope a Major League team picks him up.

In re-reading the article, it's obvious that Fasano believed he had a promise that he would be called up at some point during the season...and it sounds like it was going to happened but he got injured. Still, as you state, he elected to gamble.

Archived