Draft Watch

birdsncrabs

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five games to overcome a 2-game lead. Can we do it? I think we will have to lose all 5 games to have a chance because I think Tampa Bay gets the first pick in the event of a tie. If that is the case, even if we lose out, Tampa Bay needs to go 3-2 over their last 5.

Five games to overcome a 2-game lead. Can we do it? I think we will have to lose all 5 games to have a chance because I think Tampa Bay gets the first pick in the event of a tie.

I don't we'll suck it up worse than Tampa, but it'd be nice to leapfrog Florida and Pittsburgh for that number 2 pick. There were rumors that all things being considered Tampa would favor a pitcher, so Alavarez might very well fall to number 2. Who knows what it'll be like at that point, though.

Don't the Devil Rays have Even Longoria in their farm system. He was the 3rd pick in 2006 and plays third. If they get the 1st pick would they still take Alverez even though they have Longoria in their system? I guess I'm asking, is Pedro actually that good?

The general opinion (with which I agree) is that in a draft you simply go after the best available talent. Since drafts are a bit of a crapshoot and you never know how a player will develop, it's best to stock your system with the best talent, rather than scatter it around at various positions. If you are fortunate to have the problem of a logjam of young ML ready talent, you can then make trades from a position of strength to acquire what you need.

Some people will, however, make the distinction between pitchers and hitters if the talent level is roughly equal, which is why Tampa may be inclined to pass on Alvarez in favor of a top notch pitching prospect such as Aaron Crow.

The general opinion (with which I agree) is that in a draft you simply go after the best available talent. Since drafts are a bit of a crapshoot and you never know how a player will develop, it's best to stock your system with the best talent, rather than scatter it around at various positions. If you are fortunate to have the problem of a logjam of young ML ready talent, you can then make trades from a position of strength to acquire what you need.

Some people will, however, make the distinction between pitchers and hitters if the talent level is roughly equal, which is why Tampa may be inclined to pass on Alvarez in favor of a top notch pitching prospect such as Aaron Crow.

Agreed and well said.

The unfortunate potential scenario developing is that while we win a tie-breaker with Florida, we do not with Pittsburgh. Ah well, still 5 days remaining. :D

Yes. In the event we tied with any of these teams, we would draft ahead of FLA and CWS but behind KC, Pitt, and TB.

Then the O's need to just go ahead and lose the rest of the games this season. It's been an embarassment already as it is. They can finally doing something good for this organization. There is a huge difference in talent level from the #2 pick to the #5 pick.

Remaining schedules (in the current draft order):

1. TB (65 wins) - 2 vs. NYY, 3 at TOR

2. PIT (67) - 2 vs. ARI, 3 vs. STL

3. BAL (67) - 2 vs. TOR, 3 vs. NYY

4. FLA (67) - 2 vs. CHC, 3 at NYM

5. KC (68) - 2 at CWS, 3 vs. CLE

6. CWS (68) - 2 vs. KC, 3 vs. DET

7. HOU (69) - 2 at CIN, 3 vs. ATL

Root for KC against the White Sox since we win the tiebreaker over the Sox but not over the Royals. And because it will be fun to see Ozzie and Kenny in last place. ;)

There is a huge difference in talent level from the #2 pick to the #5 pick.

I think that is what people who don't really care about our draft position don't realize. The draft used to be about signablity. We've seen this year with baseball awash in cash that most teams are going to sign their top picks no matter what. So the chances of a Wieters falling to us at 5 or 6 are even slimmer next year as teams are focusing more and more on the draft to build their organization.

Archived