A Very Early Look at the Top 2010 Draft Prospects

When it's all said and done you won't mind. There are a lot of guys I like a lot better.

But you don't understand. Since Boras is his advisor and he will likely command top-dollar, hold out until the deadline, and push back his development, maybe even not sign at all, this makes him a "premium" talent, the type of player that we MUST have in order to contend.

But you don't understand. Since Boras is his advisor and he will likely command top-dollar, hold out until the deadline, and push back his development, maybe even not sign at all, this makes him a "premium" talent, the type of player that we MUST have in order to contend.

Well you just described most of the "top talents" (per industry sources) that BAL drafted this year. I know there were grumblings from the organization that they were looking to bring in guys early and get some innings under their belt, but really Hobgood is the only top selection who got meaningful time in, and even his was vastly limited due to his prior engagements (Gatorade Awards ceremony). I'm thrilled he got his feet wet -- I'm not complaining about him (just to be clear).

So pitchers have to adjust from the NCAA ball to the MiL ball, and then again adjust from the MiL ball to the MLB ball.

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense.

It's an issue of cost. I also think the differences are slightly overblown. Plenty of people have no issue with the change.

It is not exactly the same, but I don't recall the specific differences. Sorry.

I think I remember . . . college and MLB balls are made in china while minor league balls are made in . . . the dominican, i think. College baseballs have broader and wider seams with a density similar to major league baseballs. Minor league balls have thinner, less pronounced seams and are less dense than college or major league balls. Major league balls have the minor league seems but are more pronounced . . . they also are more dense.

In terms of trajectory . . . the density overrides most of it. Balls for college and major league games travel about 5-7% further than a minor league ball. I have no seen much in terms of flight pattern of a pitch. Conventional wisdom would suggest that broader and more pronounced seams would slightly decrease velocity and increase movement.

I too thinkthe differences are overblown. Shoot, even in HS, every ball is differnet. Crawdad just specified that some balls have wider seams and others thinner and stick out more, but like I said, every ball is different, some have higher threads, its just something that you get used to and adjust to, just like the different pitchers mounds around. Some seem higher at a different angle. Some are steep as you pitch, some seem more flat, its all just stuff that a pitcher has to get used to adjusting to. IMO it was a bigger adjustment getting used to the differing mounds rather than the different balls.....

I too thinkthe differences are overblown. Shoot, even in HS, every ball is differnet. Crawdad just specified that some balls have wider seams and others thinner and stick out more, but like I said, every ball is different, some have higher threads, its just something that you get used to and adjust to, just like the different pitchers mounds around. Some seem higher at a different angle. Some are steep as you pitch, some seem more flat, its all just stuff that a pitcher has to get used to adjusting to. IMO it was a bigger adjustment getting used to the differing mounds rather than the different balls.....

Balls are largely similar these days with machine pressing they use by manufacturer, but not between manufacturers. It depends largely on resource supply. You can take a ball without any marking and figure out pretty quickly whose ball it is and where it was made . . . as long as you have the measured specs. For instance, the minors and majors use the same guidelines, but the balls are different. Does that mean you have a better curveball with one as opposed to another? I have no clue. Does the variety of baseballs overcome the variety in pitching conditions? Weather certainly affects things . . . beyond that . . . I don't know.

Archived