If the Yanks win the World Series, won't that make MLB a joke?

FollyFollyToo

I mean, seriously. Won't it be bad for the sport if they win? It would be like if there was no salary cap in the NFL, and the Colts had Peyton Manning, Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, and Adrian Peterson on the same team, along with all of the best offensive and defensive linemen in the league. There would be no competetion. I have a feeling that Bud Selig is secretly rooting against the Yankees, because even though they will bring in the ratings, their success will ultimately be an embarrassment for MLB. Plus, I hate them and can't wait for Brian Matusz to no-hit them 3 times in one season.

Nah. Teams have bought rings before. In the past, teams that did that couldn't sustain it. So, for the MFY's to make MLB joke, it will require (1) they win it, which they haven't yet since they started splurging, and (2) they maintain a level of dominance. Whether we're going there or not remains to be seen. The MFY's are certainly trying to take us there, that's for sure, and nobody in a position of influence seems to care.

Nah. Teams have bought rings before. In the past, teams that did that couldn't sustain it. So, for the MFY's to make MLB joke, it will require (1) they win it, which they haven't yet since they started splurging, and (2) they maintain a level of dominance. Whether we're going there or not remains to be seen. The MFY's are certainly trying to take us there, that's for sure, and nobody in a position of influence seems to care.

This depends on what one's theory about the playoffs is.

If one believes that the most important thing is getting to the playoffs, because so much after that point has to do with luck and who is and isn't hot, than the Yankees are already practically "buying rings". Unlike a team like Atlanta that dominated through player development, trades and the occasional big signing, the Yankees (though they created their original base from within) can outspend their mistakes and buy their way to the playoffs every year. And once they reach that point, anything can happen.

If one believes that the most important thing is getting to the playoffs, because so much after that point has to do with luck and who is and isn't hot, than the Yankees are already practically "buying rings". Unlike a team like Atlanta that dominated through player development, trades and the occasional big signing, the Yankees (though they created their original base from within) can outspend their mistakes and buy their way to the playoffs every year. And once they reach that point, anything can happen.

Right, but when they win the World Series it makes it that much more obvious. We all know that anything can happen in a short series. And I just think that Selig hopes that the underdogs win, because it means he can keep selling the idea that salary differential is inconsequential when it comes to who's winning rings. I think it might be best if the Yankees win the next 5 World Series. It would be painful for all of us, but it might be good in the long run.

I don't mind if the MFY's are richer than anybody, but I think it's reached the point where it's way out of proportion to anything sensible or decent. The range factor between rich and poor has gotten way out of hand. Personally, I think it's emblematic of what's gone wrong with society-in-general lately, it's just the baseball example of it. At both the macro and micro levels, I think it's sick and wrong and short-sighted.

Having said that, I don't buy the idea that once you make it to the playoffs, it's just a crap shoot. While it can be a crap shoot, I don't think it normally is. I think it's normally not. I don't think it's just an accident that the Braves fell short when they got there. I don't think that just making the playoffs is "practically the same" as getting rings. I realize that's heresy around here, but that's what I think anyway. However, given that the MFY's are so indecently rich, I think they may well be able to attain sustained dominance in a way that the Braves couldn't/didn't. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

The Yankee$ started "buying rings" in the 1920s! The revenue gap between them and everybody else was just much less obvious back then because of the reserve clause and the haphazard way in which MLB assembled itself over the first 20 years or so of its existence.

Archived