MLB Amateur Draft Combine... Feasibility?

I know I've read others mention this, but it's been a point of interest for me for years... and that is the hope that MLB can institute a NFL-like Player Combine before the draft.

I'd love to get thoughts from our posters on the feasibility of such a project and whether you'd like to see it come to fruition if things could be worked out.

EDIT: I'd think that -roughly- it would work with the top 300 or so (Top 10-round) prospects, determined via the MLB Scouting Services.

I know I've read others mention this, but it's been a point of interest for me for years... and that is the hope that MLB can institute a NFL-like Player Combine before the draft.

I'd love to get thoughts from our posters on the feasibility of such a project and whether you'd like to see it come to fruition if things could be worked out.

I think the summer circuit effectively accomplishes this for HS players, I think. The SPARQ Testing at the Area Code Games each year also gives raw athletic tool grades/scores for the top HS prospects in the class. I think because the pool of draft eligible players is so large, it wouldn't be feasible to try and get them all in one place. The NFL drafts around, what, 230 players -- all collegiate? Baseball drafts close to 1500 players distributed across HS/college/Indy Leagues, and US/Canada/PR.

I think the summer circuit effectively accomplishes this for HS players, I think. The SPARQ Testing at the Area Code Games each year also gives raw athletic tool grades/scores for the top HS prospects in the class. I think because the pool of draft eligible players is so large, it wouldn't be feasible to try and get them all in one place. The NFL drafts around, what, 230 players -- all collegiate? Baseball drafts close to 1500 players distributed across HS/college/Indy Leagues, and US/Canada/PR.

Yes, I should have been more specific... in that I'd not desire to have 1500 kids there, but have the top 300 or so (Top 10-round prospects). Edited the OP... good point.

Yes, I should have been more specific... in that I'd not desire to have 1500 kids there, but have the top 300 or so (Top 10-round prospects).

Not sure it works given draft timing. The NFL combine is after the college season and before the draft. The MLB Rule 4 takes place while the college season is still going on (though most HSers are done by that point).

I guess you could try and schedule it pre-season, but then you are getting players before they've reached in-season shape. I think the timing ultimately does you in with trying to set it up.

Not sure it works given draft timing. The NFL combine is after the college season and before the draft. The MLB Rule 4 takes place while the college season is still going on (though most HSers are done by that point).

I guess you could try and schedule it pre-season, but then you are getting players before they've reached in-season shape. I think the timing ultimately does you in with trying to set it up.

Good points regarding the college season running later...

The draft took place June 9-11th.

The CWS ended June 24th.

The MLB All Star Game was July 13th.

Just spit-balling here, but why not have the combines a week after the CWS is over, and finished in plenty of time to be done just before or a part of the All-Star Game festivities? A 'potential stars' highlighted during the 'current stars' kind of thing...

Good points regarding the college season running later...

The draft took place June 9-11th.

The CWS ended June 24th.

The MLB All Star Game was July 13th.

Just spit-balling here, but why not have the combines a week after the CWS is over, and finished in plenty of time to be done just before or a part of the All-Star Game festivities? A 'potential stars' highlighted during the 'current stars' kind of thing...

With the Futures Game somewhat lacking in interest, I'm not sure you can roll a HS/college showcase into the All-star festivities and get interest. One step in the right direction, though, could be for the National Alliance of College Summer Baseball (NACSB) to try and organize an all-star weekend, rather than having each league run their own. That could potentially put the top college players from 8 different summer leagues in the same place.

Or, end those eight summer leagues two weeks early and have the champion from each league meet at a central location and have a tournament/showcase to crown the NACSB Summer Champion. It would be a big scouting event -- I'm not sure what level of interest there would be from the casual fan.

Hhhhmmm....

In baseball I don't think it's really needed. Summer league play seems to do the trick and besides even if there was a BB combine... Are major league clubs really going to learn anything from it? Seems to me they are set up to evaluate the way things are now. If suddenly the system would be altered... wouldn't it throw many clubs off in their evaluation?

Maybe I am very of based here but if there was a combine wouldn't it be an injury risk for the pitchers. I can see a guy coming into the combine and trying his hardest to put up eye-popping numbers on the radar gun. If I were a pitcher and had the opportunity to go from a late 1st rounder to close to top 10 by throwing as hard as I can I might be inclined to do so.

Just a thought.

I guess my issue is that this already exists with summer HS showcases and college scout days. I don't think there is a lack of info for pro teams when making decisions on players. It could be a cool fan event, I guess, but again I'm not sure the casual fan will care much about the amateur players.

I'm trying to think if there is anything gained by having HSers and college players together at the same place, but you're really comparing apples and oranges, no?

I could see small colleges/JCs benefiting, but I think everyone else is pretty well covered, already. Again, unlike football, scouts generally have around 40-60 chances to see college players in the spring, and another 15-30 chances to see them over the summer (many times with wood bats). HSers can play 20-40 games and almost daily over the summer.

Yes. It should be done.

The draft is a huge revenue generator for the NFL and NBA.

Work around the systems in place and do it--it doesn't even have to be a real "resource" for teams in picking. It should mainly be a promotional tool--for fans to get a better idea who is in their system.

I actually think MLB is really missing out on potential minor league interest...people love picking the "next big thing." MLB channel should have live look-ins on minor league ABs, regular farm reports on each team....

Plus the tech is there to make an MLB draft pretty cool...BP off cranked up machines...radar guns, Pitch FX...

.............The draft is a huge revenue generator for the NFL and NBA.

Work around the systems in place and do it--it doesn't even have to be a real "resource" for teams in picking. It should mainly be a promotional tool--for fans to get a better idea who is in their system.

I actually think MLB is really missing out on potential minor league interest...people love picking the "next big thing." MLB channel should have live look-ins on minor league ABs, regular farm reports on each team....

Plus the tech is there to make an MLB draft pretty cool...BP off cranked up machines...radar guns, Pitch FX...

You have a point. Baseball could use some positive hype... As for draft revenue..... I suspect it wouldnt be anything so successful as the NFL Draft.

I also do agree that minor league baseball is something that should get more dollars for the club. Anyone want to do a price comparison between a Camden yards game and a Bowie game? I am guessing it's at least a cheaper date.

As for coverage I also agree that I am just as interested in every Arrieta start in AAA as I am every 3E start in Baltimore...

Maybe to get around the numbers issue, have 4 or 5 regional combines on separate days sot he scouts can get to all of them. I realize this is similar to a showcase, but this could include your NCAA, Indy, and foreign draftees.

Maybe to get around the numbers issue, have 4 or 5 regional combines on separate days sot he scouts can get to all of them. I realize this is similar to a showcase, but this could include your NCAA, Indy, and foreign draftees.

When would you hold them? I think the timing of the draft is problematic in making any of this worthwhile.

Archived