Number 12 Prospect: C - Caleb Joseph

Tony-OH

I'm not sure what the Gamboa analogy has to do with anything I've posted on Joseph. I'm going by scouting reports, what I've read, and the numbers. I don't think I've declared him the future #3 hitter of the Orioles. By the same token, I think he might be underappreciated for what he accomplished this year, EVEN as he turned 23 during the season. His last month was really poor and really took a lot of steam off of his overall numbers. I'm not sure anyone has gotten too excited about Joseph (this is how I took your Gamboa remark) but if they have feel free to point it out.

Not taking the bait, sorry.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny. You quote a post of mine and throw in the analogy about Gamboa. Now when I ask what you meant by it, you say I'm baiting you. You originally quoted my post, not the other way around. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. Moving on!!!! :)

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I quoted your post, which was entirely statistically based. I said statistics are often relied upon too much with minor leaguers, and used Gamboa as a similar example where stats don't tell the story. You went to your subtle tossing of the gauntlet framing it as if I was putting words in your mouth and should look up examples of people getting "excited" about Joseph. You've been on these boards every once in a while this summer -- I'm sure you haven't noticed ANY hype/excitement around Joseph, right? This is classic RZ... :) I'll hang up and listen to your answer. :)

My two posts prior to your Gamboa reference were MOSTLY statistically based. I have read the scouting reports and did reference them in my first post. It seems odd that you are comparing Gamboa and Joseph. I think Joseph is a legitimate prospect whereas Gamboa will likely have trouble sticking in the majors (if he makes it) with marginal stuff. If you don't think Joseph is a legitimate prospect why not just come out and say it and give your reasons? I don't recall too many people having unrealistic expectations of Joseph. Maybe you remember more?

BTW, I think you are a smart guy and are very knowledgeable and add a lot to the board. I just don't understand why you get so defensive and sensitive. It's like it is beneath you to be questioned on something.

I think a review of my posts shows I have no issue with being questioned. I think you tickle me just the right way to get me going -- maybe not your intention, but for whatever reason I have trouble understanding where you are coming from with some of your posts directed at me. I think you bring a lot to the board, too -- particularly your interest in discussing MiL players and standing by your take on kids, even if it isn't always the industry consensus (I can respect that).

I like Joseph - thought he had a fair shot to be a useful back-up catcher when he was at Lipscomb. I still think he could potentially carve-out some sort of ML career.

Archived