Adam Jones wins Gold Glove

jerios55

And many of the so-called "optimistic" people are the ones complaining. Amazing.

There might be other, more nefarious, reasons why people are always down on Adam Jones here, but I won't get into it.

MSK

This is highly loaded. And typically passive-aggressive.

Many folks who are down on Adam's defense are likewise down on Nick's defense and Nolan's defense and high on Pie's defense and high on Izturis's defense. So, yeah, you know, point out your BS "nefarious reasons" for all of us.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to Adam. He may not have "deserved" it, but I don't care, it's nice to see our guys get some recognition. I do agree with SG that I hope it doesn't cause him to think that he is playing appropriately shallow. What I can't figure out is why the coaches allowed him to keep playing that shallow. As to MSK's "veiled" comments, what a crock.

Congrats to Adam. He may not have "deserved" it, but I don't care, it's nice to see our guys get some recognition. I do agree with SG that I hope it doesn't cause him to think that he is playing appropriately shallow. What I can't figure out is why the coaches allowed him to keep playing that shallow. As to MSK's "veiled" comments, what a crock.

Hah. I think I gave him positive rep when I meant to give him negative. I'm an idiot.

Who Is everyone?

Really? You seriously don't remember a year ago when people (everyone here, local media, various larger media outlets) were high on his defense, and how disappointed everyone was throughout the year? People don't get this disappointed about a guy who didn't have a reputation preceding him. He gets an All Star nod this year, and the managers start to learn about him. We all know that Jones played better CF in the past than he did in 2009.

And many of the so-called "optimistic" people are the ones complaining. Amazing.

There might be other, more nefarious, reasons why people are always down on Adam Jones here, but I won't get into it.

MSK

:bs:

Yeah, don't get into it. Because you're wrong.

Jones' defense was poor this season. The stats confirm what people who watched this team thought was the case all season. That's what this is about...nothing more. If Jones gets the award, good for him. But it would be a bad choice. He was among the worst CF in the game in 2009.

Before everyone starts bashing Jones on his defense, please remember he was playing through significant pain most of the year. To those who actually watched the games, it was not uncommon to see Jones limping after every fly ball or running out a ground ball, and getting up gimpy after sliding into a base or for a fly ball. To say that injuries did not have an effect would be blind.

Absolutely true. His wheels were suffering through most of the year. Some leg injuies and the added weight played a role. The distinct possibility that he'll get even bigger over the next few years makes me think he's headed for a corner spot.

I don't consider myself ignorant of the latest defensive metrics, and I didn't get to see as may games in 2009 as I would've liked. Nevertheless, it seems to me that people sometimes overcomplicate things.

Consider this. Adam Jones played 1005 innings in centerfield last season. If you look at every AL centerfielder who played at least 800 innings at the position, let's see how many outs they recorded per nine innings.

In ascending order

2.37 - Vernon Wells

2.49 - Jacoby Ellsbury

2.50 - Marlon Byrd

2.54 - Melky Cabrera

2.63 - Curtis Granderson

2.79 - BJ Upton

2.81 - Rajai Davis

2.85 - Torii Hunter

2.90 - Grady Sizemore

3.00 - Franklin Gutierrez

3.18 - Carlos Gomez

3.21 - ADAM JONES

Jonesy caught more balls per nine innings than any of his peers. You ca argue about how many balls were hit near enough to him, or over his head or whatever, but the fact remains. He did it.

I'm sure Gutierrez was magnificent. Didn't see enough of him to honestly opine. But Jones caught more balls per nine innings, gunned down more baserunners and committed fewer errors.

Frankly I'm happy for Adam Jones earning a Gold Glove if indeed the reports are true, and emphasis on "earning".

MSK

I wish I knew exactly what it is that you are implying. But I have a good idea, and that sir, I do not like.

I'm happy for the kid, but let's face it: The gold glove selection process is widely acknowledged as a joke.

If Jones didn't make the All Star team last year, there's no way he would have won a gold glove.

But he did, and he did, so good for him. When's the last Baltimore Orioles outfielder to win a gold glove?

I'm happy for the kid, but let's face it: The gold glove selection process is widely acknowledged as a joke.

If Jones didn't make the All Star team last year, there's no way he would have won a gold glove.

But he did, and he did, so good for him. Who's the last Baltimore Orioles outfielder to win a gold glove?

Archived