Should we go for another arm, or target a SS?

As for the loss of the 2nd round pick, we will just have more money to pick high potential guys like Coffey (22), Arrieta (5), and Beal (14). We have some great scouts, I'm sure this draft will be just as effective as the past couple.

Yes, but the overslot opportunities after Round Two will probably be pitchers. Especially if you are talking about good 20-21 YO bats who can quickly be moved into the upper levels of the system, which is the big deficiency.

I like the idea of loading up on arms, but at some point the imbalance becomes a problem. That point is reached, in part, when legitimate prospects are held back because there's no slot in the rotation at their proper MiL level. IMO that is likely to be the case at Delmarva this season, and possibly at Norfolk as well in the latter half of the season. (EDIT: Looking again at the depth chart, things could fill up in a hurry at Aberdeen and Bluefield too).

That doesn't mean they should overdraft in Round One to get a hitter. If Taillon is available, and Harper isn't, then at this point Taillon seems to be the way to go. But the Gonzalez signing is probably going to mean that they will add no legit bat to the upper levels this season.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Below are the top college ss prospects per BA's Early Draft Preview, and I 100% agree that we have a huge hole in the middle infield in our organization. That being said this is baseball, and in baseball you always draft BPA. In football the weight of drafting for position matters because you build through the draft and draft day trades alone (picks for picks, moving up and down to get who you want) and those players have an instant impact in the first 2 years. Quaterbacks, in my opinoin are the only position you develope in the NFL, with WR a lesser degree. Baseball is completely different, all players are developed, and all players are much less of a sure thing (I don't have the facts in front of me).

This difference, not completely but for the purpose of my argument, is the reduced tradability of draft picks in baseball (obviously you can't trade them at all) and the increased tradability of players (come on everyone, who doesn't love a four team deadline deal). I'm not saying in baseball you don't build through the draft, but you can also build through trades to obtain imediate impact players (see Eric Bedard). This is the exact opposite of football. Picks are easy to trade, but first round rookies/second year players with huge bonuses that extend for several years aren't.

If the Orioles had the ability to trade down to about 8 and take a Colon and pick up another couple of picks in the process I am all for it, depending on how Joe Jordan values the players on the board ofcourse. Since we can't there is no discussion. Take who ever is on the top of the board. If it is a pitcher and he has a stopng end of the summer, maybe you trade Zack Britton next offseason for some other teams IMEDIATE IMPACT SS (much differenet than a drafted SS).

Well, that was a longwinded and mabe semi incoherent way of saying i want Taillon, Harper or Ranaudo right now. Or, when the draft rolls around, whoever gets into my top 3.

Shortstops in BA College Top 100

6. Christian Colon ss Jr. R-R 6-1 190 Cal State Fullerton

10. Rick Hague ss Jr. R-R 6-2 185 Rice

12. Jedd Gyorko ss Jr. R-R 5-10 195 West Virginia

41. Derek Dietrich ss/3b Jr. L-R 6-1 195 Georgia Tech

87. Josh Rutledge ss Jr. R-R 6-1 190 Alabama

Other (draft eligeble) shortstops who rank in the top 50 in their class:

Juniors

Ross Wilson, 2b/ss, Alabama R-R 5-11 185

Seniors

Tyler Cannon, ss, Virginia B-R 6-0 205

Joey Bergman, ss/3b, College of Charleston L-R 6-0 200