2010 Draft Class: Pre-season Positional Rankings

I just wrapped-up the 2010 Draft Class Pre-season Positional Rankings. Links to all seven pieces below for those interested in a look at some of the top names to follow this spring:

Top 15 Catchers (posted 12/14/2009)

Top 15 First Basemen (posted 12/16/2009)

Top 15 Second Basemen (posted 12/21/2009)

Top 15 Third Basemen (posted 1/4/2010)

Top 15 Shortstops (posted 1/8/2010)

Top 30 Outfielders (posted 1/25/2010)

Top 50 Pitchers (posted 1/27/2010)

Thanks again. Justin O'Conner sounds interesting at catcher, any more info on him (also, are there two Justin O'Conners from Indiana HS - another at SS from Cowan HSwhile the catcher is from Muncie HS - if so, any info on him as well)? Does Sabol really profile to stay at catcher (I heard he was better suited for the OF).

Thanks again. Justin O'Conner sounds interesting at catcher, any more info on him (also, are there two Justin O'Conners from Indiana HS - another at SS from Cowan HSwhile the catcher is from Muncie HS - if so, any info on him as well)? Does Sabol really profile to stay at catcher (I heard he was better suited for the OF).

Muncie is O'Conner's hometown. Cowan is the HS. Did I mix the two at C or SS?

I saw Sabol catch a fair amount -- he's an excellent athlete that certainly shouldn't be ruled-out as a catcher. I think some look at his listed size (6-2/205) and write him off without realizing he runs a sub-6.6 60-yard dash, and is extremely agile (athleticism runs in the family -- Troy Palamolu is his cousin).

He also showed sub-1.9 pop times, which is "above-average" for a ML catcher. He'll need to work to refine, but I don't know of a good reason to state now that he isn't going to catch.

Curious where you have heard otherwise -- the scouts I was standing with in Jupiter liked the way he moved.

Re: O'Conner -- PG and BA I believe both have him now listed as a catcher, so it looks like it's official. His skill set profiles perfectly there. Arm strength + super-quick release play well. He also shows good footwork. Put it this way, without seeing him log an inning behind the plate I am comfortable listing him as among the top catchers in the class. That's how much I believe in his skills translating at catcher.

It was actually an evaluator for an american league organization that let me in on him working out at catcher, and that particular evaluator agrees he'll not only be able to make the transition, but will thrive there.

I guess we'll see...

Muncie is O'Conner's hometown. Cowan is the HS. Did I mix the two at C or SS?

I saw Sabol catch a fair amount -- he's an excellent athlete that certainly shouldn't be ruled-out as a catcher. I think some look at his listed size (6-2/205) and write him off without realizing he runs a sub-6.6 60-yard dash, and is extremely agile (athleticism runs in the family -- Troy Palamolu is his cousin).

He also showed sub-1.9 pop times, which is "above-average" for a ML catcher. He'll need to work to refine, but I don't know of a good reason to state now that he isn't going to catch.

Curious where you have heard otherwise -- the scouts I was standing with in Jupiter liked the way he moved.

Under SS - O'Conner was from Cowan HS and under catcher, from Muncie. I didn't think there were two, so thanks for clearing that up. As for Sabol, it was in the summer that some were stating do to his size and his athleticism, his skill set was better suited for the OF. But, if he has those type of pop times and with the agility that he has, I agree with you, way too early to put him somewhere else.

Re: O'Conner -- PG and BA I believe both have him now listed as a catcher, so it looks like it's official. His skill set profiles perfectly there. Arm strength + super-quick release play well. He also shows good footwork. Put it this way, without seeing him log an inning behind the plate I am comfortable listing him as among the top catchers in the class. That's how much I believe in his skills translating at catcher.

It was actually an evaluator for an american league organization that let me in on him working out at catcher, and that particular evaluator agrees he'll not only be able to make the transition, but will thrive there.

I guess we'll see...

Thanks for the info - looks like a pretty athletic catching group.

Under SS - O'Conner was from Cowan HS and under catcher, from Muncie. I didn't think there were two, so thanks for clearing that up. As for Sabol, it was in the summer that some were stating do to his size and his athleticism, his skill set was better suited for the OF. But, if he has those type of pop times and with the agility that he has, I agree with you, way too early to put him somewhere else.

Thanks - now updated.

Archived