Asterisk *

24fps

The public has spoken. At least a small but vocal minority has.

Mark Ecko, the owner of Barry Bonds’ 756 home run ball has decided, after an on-line vote, to present the ball to the Hall of Fame with a large asterisk permanently branded on it’s cover.

I, for one, have no doubt that Bonds has done steroids for a long time and consequently his home run record is tainted. This is a view shared by many and I have no problem stating my position about it on a message board.

The permanent defacing of a historical artifact has me a little concerned, however. After all, Bonds has yet to be formally convicted of anything, suspicions notwithstanding. The ball is Mark Ecko’s to do with as he pleases. His decision to brand it with an asterisk I think is unwise. It is certainly premature.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070926&content_id=2231076&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The public has spoken. At least a small but vocal minority has.

Mark Ecko, the owner of Barry Bonds’ 756 home run ball has decided, after an on-line vote, to present the ball to the Hall of Fame with a large asterisk permanently branded on it’s cover.

I, for one, have no doubt that Bonds has done steroids for a long time and consequently his home run record is tainted. This is a view shared by many and I have no problem stating my position about it on a message board.

The permanent defacing of a historical artifact has me a little concerned, however. After all, Bonds has yet to be formally convicted of anything, suspicions notwithstanding. The ball is Mark Ecko’s to do with as he pleases. His decision to brand it with an asterisk I think is unwise. It is certainly premature.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070926&content_id=2231076&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Premature of what? Bonds admitted to using steroids. The only question remaining is whether or not that matters to you.

Pretty much every baseball record could have an asterik next to it for some reason or another.

This steroid stuff is just ridiculous...People need to get a new hobby.

Beyond ridiculous...If the Indians win the World Series, will Rafael Betancourt's World Series ring have an asterisk?

Of course. Not only that, but Betancourt's children's children's children will be banished to the Untouchable Caste.

Absolutely they will..I want to see FOX or whomever put an asterisk next to every one of Betancourt's stats as well. And when they show Guillermo Mota's ERA I want a huge asterisk next to the 6.34 or whatever it is.

You know what, let's also start putting asterisks on the back of every Baseball card, hell, let's put one on all of their jerseys too. Any team that has a suspected steroid user on it should have a permanent asterisk put onto their team logo, you know, for marketing purposes. The fans will eat those up. It'll be like the White Sox caps when Dre and Snoop starting wearing them in '91.

Is that ball really that big of an historical artifact?

Is Aaron's 715th or 755th ball more important?

Is McGwires 62nd or 70th ball more important?

Is Bonds' 71st or 73rd ball more important?

Is Bonds' 755th or nth ball more important?

The ball's ultimate historical value is a question for the Hall of Fame, as I know of no objective metric everyone agrees on.

However, it is without question that it has some historical value. One of my specific questions in this thread is whether this decision to deface the ball alters it's historical value and poses the risk of unintended consequences.

I think it does and furthermore it requires the Hall of Fame to take a position it is inappropriate to make at the moment. To display it with an asterisk - even if it is hidden - tacitly endorses the point of view that the asterisk is deserved.

If it were my decision to make at the Hall of Fame, I would politely decline the bequest if the ball were in any way altered.

I want to know when they're going to affix the asterisk to the Yanks' 2003 AL Pennant? That'll be nice flying over the new Yankee Stadium. Maybe they can raise the asterisk on opening day '09. Or how about the asterisk on the '89 A's World Series trophy? Or the asterisk on Gaylord Perry's HOF plaque? And Whitey Ford's?

The asterisk factory needs to kick it into high gear.

Premature of what? Bonds admitted to using steroids. The only question remaining is whether or not that matters to you.

I probably should have used the term PED's rather than steroids, but my point still holds.

It is premature because the Mitchell commision is ongoing. Also because Bonds' use of PED's to what degree and for how long remains to be determined. While MLB has taken responsible steps to prevent illicit drug use now and in the future, it has yet to fully address it's role (if any) in the past.

Finally, we need the player's perspective presented more credibly than from Jose Canseco. I belive more players will weigh in on the issue although it may be years before we have any real perspective.

Yes, it does matter to me, although I respect the point of view of those who don't care as much.

Archived