ACC Tourney thread

Thanks for that. But reviewable or not' date=' I think that was bad officiating. Even when watching it live it didn't seem to me like Favors dunked it before the buzzer. I don't know if the officials are trained to just give it to the shooter when in doubt. But clearly right after it was over during the timeout even they didn't appear too confident in their decision. If you're going to have instant replay in basketball, you should use it in situations like that. If you aren't going to use it then, then just do away with it all together.[/quote']

I think they may have thought it touched the rim. The front view made it look like it may have hit the front of the rim, while one of the other ones looked like a complete miss*.

I used to run the shot clock for my high school. Sometimes it's really hard to tell whether the ball did or did not touch the rim. It looked like the operator there didn't think so since they didn't reset the thing, and I don't think I would have in real-time either. But it's the officials' decision in the end.

*Just wanted to mention that for all the repeated talk throughout the Raycom broadcast about how they were getting fantastic views from the overhead cameras above the baskets, I'm pretty sure they didn't show a single replay from that angle. I don't know whether they only had a camera over one basket, but that seemed unusual to me.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I thought, GT beats MD...Not surprising...Takes nothing away from the Terps but GT is just a terrible matchup for the Terps. That happens.

MD will be a 5 or 6 seed capable of beating anyone they play or losing anyone they play.

FSU also goes down tonight.

I am expecting a Duke/GT final.

I used to run the shot clock for my high school. Sometimes it's really hard to tell whether the ball did or did not touch the rim. It looked like the operator there didn't think so since they didn't reset the thing, and I don't think I would have in real-time either. But it's the officials' decision in the end.

*Just wanted to mention that for all the repeated talk throughout the Raycom broadcast about how they were getting fantastic views from the overhead cameras above the baskets, I'm pretty sure they didn't show a single replay from that angle. I don't know whether they only had a camera over one basket, but that seemed unusual to me.

I only got the ESPN broadcast out here, and I didn't see any over-the-rim replays either. But I think it was pretty clear from every angle the ball didn't touch the rim...to me, it had to have been a question of "did he throw down the dunk in time?" And if it wasn't apparent live, the replays made it obvious that he did not.

As I thought, GT beats MD...Not surprising...Takes nothing away from the Terps but GT is just a terrible matchup for the Terps. That happens.

MD will be a 5 or 6 seed capable of beating anyone they play or losing anyone they play.

I honestly thought GT would win too before the game. But what distresses me the most is not that MD lost, but the way they lost. I thought GT would eat the Terps alive on the boards...and while they certainly had the advantage there, a lot of that can be attributed to Williams' foul trouble. And even then the Terps still had the edge in offensive boards. But the piss-poor execution and godawful shooting by an experienced team like Maryland was just embarrassing. The ESPN announcers were quick to blame it on the fact that MD was coming off an extended layoff. If that's something that's going to continue to be a problem for the Terps, I don't want to think about what we're going to see next after yet another week off.

I just got back from the games tonight. I was very disapointed in MD tonight. They missed too many shots they should have made. And every time they got within one possession, the execution went right out the window. I think they were doing too much scoreboard watching and shooting 3s when they were down 3 with 4 minutes left. I would have much rather seen them drive the ball to the basket. Same thing with that shot Vasquez took in the last minute. Instead of a fadeaway 3, he should have driven and shot one of his floaters. Who knows, he may have even drawn a foul. But I think that play was typical of the night for MD. It just seems that they could not execute or come through when they had the chance.

The good news is they still have games to play and another chance. This game gives them something to work on.

As for the rest of the tournament, all the lower seeds winning is making it exciting. Miami vs NC State in the championship would be great. The 11 and 12 seeds battling it out for the title. That would ruin a bubble bid for someone, and maybe even an ACC team. But it would be great to see the automatic bid go to a team that had no other shot of getting in. I don't expect Miami to beat Duke, but Miami has played the best of all the teams so far.

I honestly thought GT would win too before the game. But what distresses me the most is not that MD lost' date=' but the way they lost. I thought GT would eat the Terps alive on the boards...and while they certainly had the advantage there, a lot of that can be attributed to Williams' foul trouble. And even then the Terps still had the edge in offensive boards. But the piss-poor execution and godawful shooting by an experienced team like Maryland was just embarrassing.[b'] The ESPN announcers were quick to blame it on the fact that MD was coming off an extended layoff[/b]. If that's something that's going to continue to be a problem for the Terps, I don't want to think about what we're going to see next after yet another week off.

The raycom guys were saying the same thing about Duke...I don't really buy that...So, they had 1 or 2 days longer in between games than usual but still, they should have also been the fresher team down the stretch at crunch time.

Remember something about GT...They have 2 top 20 picks on their front line, including a potential top 5 guy. No shame in losing to that front line.

Only a couple missed shots from that 1/12, 2/11 semis. *sigh*

I'm really hoping for a Duke - Maryland final in this tourney. I'm pretty sure Duke will hold up its end of the bargain tomorrow.

And, it doesn't surprise me that Maryland didn't. This is what they do, and have done for years.

I'm furious. No excuse for how poorly we played in the first half. We're a considerably better team than anyone other than Duke in the ACC, we should have walked into the finals.

No you aren't.

MD is a better team because they are coached better but MD isn't considerably better because they are limited in terms of overall pure talent.

They play well together, are well coached and have Grievis but they are a very beatable team and MD isn't CONSIDERABLY better than many teams.

The real difference is Gary.

6 of 21, 5 turnovers, 4 assists

That is a pretty bad night no matter how you slice it.

Honestly, if GT didn't shoot awful even for them at the line and turn the ball over a lot even for them, this game would have been a blow out. The Terps played hard, but Vasquez and Mosley (0-7) hurt them a LOT.

When GV is guarded by taller, more athletic guys he has trouble getting a shot off. And, when he has trouble getting shots off, he forces horrific, off-balance, running shots to make sure he "gets his". He was making bad decisions from the get go.

No you aren't.

MD is a better team because they are coached better but MD isn't considerably better because they are limited in terms of overall pure talent.

They play well together, are well coached and have Grievis but they are a very beatable team and MD isn't CONSIDERABLY better than many teams.

The real difference is Gary.

7-9. 13-3. Fact. We're a much better team, that was an embarrassing loss.

7-9. 13-3. Fact. We're a much better team, that was an embarrassing loss.

Wow, that really shows a lot...That's like saying Michael Aubrey is a better hitter because he had a better OPS than Markakis last year.

Look, MD is a better team and they are the second best team in the conference...But you and many other Terps fans have been overrating this team for a while.

To say they are considerably better than the rest of the ACC outside of Duke is just a false statement. Again, the real difference is Gary..In terms of talent, MD probably isn't even in the top 5 in the league...Now, talent isn't everything...How well do those guys play as a team? How well are they coached?

That is why MD is the second best team but they aren't considerably better. They had a considerably better ACC record but that doesn't mean they are a considerably better team.

GT is a bad matchup for them....They should have won the first time and could have blown out MD last night had they not missed so many FTs. Some teams are just bad matchups...You didn't want to believe that about GT and didn't think they were going to win but you were ignoring a lot of things.

This loss doesn't effect MD at all...They will be a 5 or 6 seed...They will likely have a tough first round game and will have to beat a very solid team in round 2...They have a shot at going deep in the NCAA tourney or they could go out in the first round...A win or loss to GT wasn't going to change that.

Yes, they may have been able to get an easier first round game but at the end of the day, you are going to have to beat good teams to get to where you want to go.

Archived