ACC Tourney thread

Yeah, because I'd rather have him force a pass to an inferior player while completely covered.

Seriously? We're going to start whining about Vasquez now? :rolleyes:

I was referring to the 3 point shot he took to try and tie it at the end there. Looked awkward so in the end it just touches the rim. We couldnt shoot threes this game and there were some crap calls by the refs but thats not why we lost. Its because we arent a good team playing from behind. (We havent been the last few years-ig poor guard play.) We didnt hit threes and missed easy shots. We have to get a lead to get momentum and we didnt tonight.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that Vasquez has to play better but GT is about the worst matchup that MD can face because of their 3 huge interior players. The majority of teams in the country are lucky to have 1. I think we will be fine and Grevis needs to be play better but so does the whole team. Again GT is a terrible matchup for us.

:noidea: They were as bad in the 2nd half as we were in the 1st. This game was more about us playing bad than GT playing well. I would expect us to win most of the time we hold GT under 70.

:noidea: They were as bad in the 2nd half as we were in the 1st. This game was more about us playing bad than GT playing well. I would expect us to win most of the time we hold GT under 70.

Not even close in the shooting category, GT 59% and MD 37% plus GT hit 8 of 12 from 3pt land with MD 4 of 21. The only reason this was a close game was that run of 9 turnovers in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half. Otherwise GT blows us out.

Again, GT is about the worst matchup MD will face.

Not even close in the shooting category, GT 59% and MD 37% plus GT hit 8 of 12 from 3pt land with MD 4 of 21. The only reason this was a close game was that run of 9 turnovers in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half. Otherwise GT blows us out.

Again, GT is about the worst matchup MD will face.

I don't disagree that it's a bad matchup for us. I said that in a thread earlier this week. However, this game in particular had little to do with GT overpowering us or imposing their will, etc. The difference was exactly what you pointed out in your first sentence. They shot very well and we didn't, which is out of character for both teams. This is a game we win if we have a normal night shooting.

I don't disagree that it's a bad matchup for us. I said that in a thread earlier this week. However, this game in particular had little to do with GT overpowering us or imposing their will, etc. The difference was exactly what you pointed out in your first sentence. They shot very well and we didn't, which is out of character for both teams. This is a game we win if we have a normal night shooting.

I can agree with this! Hopefully it is a different story in the weeks to come.

Step away from the keyboard. Please. First the awful post about the commentators and refs that was just not something I want to see on this board and now this one. Your highlighted statement is just incredibly wrong. You should take a look at the boxscores this year if you truly believe this team doesn't play well from behind. We came back against NC St on the road, Clemson, and several others. I know you're upset, but relax and resist the urge to type irrational things. It'll be ok.

Ok...but I mostly agree with everyone we got a bad draw and Vasquez played like a guy that wouldnt even be mentioned as an ACC POY. Needs to play better. The entire team needs to play better. Oh and I said the refs werent the reason we lost. We missed threes and some simple layups that may have been the difference.

Honestly we just missed tons of shots. Came out cold/rusty whatever and missed some open shots. Could've done better defensively as well. I felt Mosley passed up some shots that he could've taken and forced some drives. I had no idea Bowie missed so many. I hated to see Vasquez force some of those shots, he was off too. That missed shot clock call and the no call foul on Vasquez in the end hurt. That's not why we lost but it still hurt. I knew Georgia Tech was a good team but still disappointing loss. Hopefully we can come back strong for the NCAA tournament.

We are gonna be fine. GT is just a terrible matchup for us and they wanted and needed the win way more than the Terps. Did anyone expect to win this game? I honestly didn't. Hopefully the Terps get a 6th seed so the road to the Elite will be much easier as we wouldn't have to play a 1 seed. This team just needs to get focused on not coming out flat in their first NCAA game. MD has done that a lot this year and then relied on the 2nd half to pull away/catch up. Start dominating the first half and play better perimeter D. I don't wanna see some 11 or 12 seed draining threes on us all game. It happens every year to some 5 or 6 seed.

What an atrocious performance by Maryland tonight. While the effort was there, the execution was just awful. If they don't figure out a way to stay sharp over the next week, they will be one-and-done in the NCAAs. And I know I'll probably catch grief for this, even though it's NOT the reason Maryland lost, but how did the officials miss that blatant shot-clock violation by GT near the end? Isn't that reviewable on instant replay? If not, after that call it should be. And if it is reviewable, the officials should be reprimanded.

What an atrocious performance by Maryland tonight. While the effort was there' date=' the execution was just awful. If they don't figure out a way to stay sharp over the next week, they will be one-and-done in the NCAAs. And I know I'll probably catch grief for this, even though it's NOT the reason Maryland lost, but how did the officials miss that blatant shot-clock violation by GT near the end? Isn't that reviewable on instant replay? If not, after that call it should be. And if it is reviewable, the officials should be reprimanded.[/quote']

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/maryland_terps/blog/2010/03/analyzing_marylands_acc_tournament_loss.html

And one more thing might have cost the Terps the game: the dunk by Derrick Favors that seemed to come after the shot clock.

It came with 1:15 left, after Mo Miller missed badly on a drive, and put Georgia Tech up five, 64-59. Miller's shot ricocheted high off the backboard without touching the rim and the 35-second shot clock sounded as Favors was throwing it down. One problem: freeze-frame replays later showed the ball still in Favors' hand as the light went on.

Gary Williams said he asked the official responsible for looking at the clock for his view, and was told that the shot counted. Williams admitted later that he didn't know if that kind of situation was reviewable.

"I should know the rule, but I don't in that situation," he said.

According to John Clougherty, a former referee and the supervisor of ACC officials, a shot-clock situation is not reviewable

And one more thing might have cost the Terps the game: the dunk by Derrick Favors that seemed to come after the shot clock.

It came with 1:15 left, after Mo Miller missed badly on a drive, and put Georgia Tech up five, 64-59. Miller's shot ricocheted high off the backboard without touching the rim and the 35-second shot clock sounded as Favors was throwing it down. One problem: freeze-frame replays later showed the ball still in Favors' hand as the light went on.

Gary Williams said he asked the official responsible for looking at the clock for his view, and was told that the shot counted. Williams admitted later that he didn't know if that kind of situation was reviewable.

"I should know the rule, but I don't in that situation," he said.

According to John Clougherty, a former referee and the supervisor of ACC officials, a shot-clock situation is not reviewable

Thanks for that. But reviewable or not, I think that was bad officiating. Even when watching it live it didn't seem to me like Favors dunked it before the buzzer. I don't know if the officials are trained to just give it to the shooter when in doubt. But clearly right after it was over during the timeout even they didn't appear too confident in their decision. If you're going to have instant replay in basketball, you should use it in situations like that. If you aren't going to use it then, then just do away with it all together.

Archived