ACC Tourney thread

7-9. 13-3. Fact. We're a much better team, that was an embarrassing loss.

MD is a good team but they are in no way head and shoulders above the rest of the league sans Duke.

Remember, MD pulled a miracle shot to beat GT, could have easily lost to VT in that double OT thriller, and benefited from a VERY questionable technical foul on Bennett to eek out a win at UVA against a moribund team playing without its best player Landesberg. Those three go the other way and you're right in the mix like every other decent team not named Duke.

Not to mention, this team got beat by William and Mary.

This year, there is no team (other than Duke) in the top half of the ACC that stands apart. I think you could easily interchange MD, VT, FSU, Clem, Wake, and GT.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MD played a lot of close games this year. We easily could have been a 9 or 10 win team instead of 13. Now, something has to be said for finding ways to win the majority of those tight games. We were clearly the 2nd best team in the conference, but I agree that the gap between us and a handful of other schools is minimal. Hypothetically, if we played a 7 game series against the likes of FSU, VT, Clemson,GT I would expect a 6 or 7 game series.

Well, Duke choked away the end of the first half and let Miami take the lead thanks to a 17-2 run to close out the half.

Terrible playing by Duke..settling for 3s way too often...That's one thing that really concerns me come tourney time.

Well, Duke choked away the end of the first half and let Miami take the lead thanks to a 17-2 run to close out the half.

Terrible playing by Duke..settling for 3s way too often...That's one thing that really concerns me come tourney time.

And order has been restored. :clap3:

Color me unimpressed with Duke in this tourney.

Uva, a woeful team playing w/o Landesberg, gives them all they can handle.

Miami, the 12 seed playing w/o Dwayne Collins and its third game in three days, gives them all they can handle.

Folks, outside of Cameron, Duke ain't that good. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose in the second round of the NCAAT and I fully expect them to lose in the Sweet Sixteen.

If they are faced with a big athletic team in the tourney, dook is in trouble. Although, you should not judge confrence tourneys for how good a team is. Tons of top 25 teams lost, as the games become partially pointless for them, as it's only good for seding.

Wow, that really shows a lot...That's like saying Michael Aubrey is a better hitter because he had a better OPS than Markakis last year.

Look, MD is a better team and they are the second best team in the conference...But you and many other Terps fans have been overrating this team for a while.

To say they are considerably better than the rest of the ACC outside of Duke is just a false statement. Again, the real difference is Gary..In terms of talent, MD probably isn't even in the top 5 in the league...Now, talent isn't everything...How well do those guys play as a team? How well are they coached?

That is why MD is the second best team but they aren't considerably better. They had a considerably better ACC record but that doesn't mean they are a considerably better team.

Blah blah blah, results don't matter, they're just meh, it's only Gary, blah blah blah.

Sorry, after a full season of ACC play, the Terps were 13-3 and undefeated at home. That is a fact. That actually happened.

BTW, saying MD is considerably better than the rest of the ACC isn't the same as saying they're a legit title contender. I think we can make a run, but I don't think we're a serious contender either. Also, Duke's average margin of victory in ACC play was 15, MD's was 11.7. Not that much of a difference.

So how can we be overrating MD for a while now, when the REALITY is that we tied for the ACC regular season championship? That actually happened...

GT is a bad matchup for them....They should have won the first time and could have blown out MD last night had they not missed so many FTs. Some teams are just bad matchups...You didn't want to believe that about GT and didn't think they were going to win but you were ignoring a lot of things.

Big problem with this though. What you felt was the matchup problem and the reason why GT should beat MD was not even close to the primary reason why they did beat MD. So please spare us the "I knew this would happen, you were ignoring a lot of things" attitude.

Miami, the 12 seed playing w/o Dwayne Collins and its third game in three days, gives them all they can handle.

Folks, outside of Cameron, Duke ain't that good. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose in the second round of the NCAAT and I fully expect them to lose in the Sweet Sixteen.

Duke could win it all or lose in the second round....I am not sure what happened today...I actually missed the last 10 min or so of this game...When I left work, they were up 15. I am not sure if they got complacent or what but none of the top teams have really been all that great in their conference tourneys...They have all had games where they struggled...its just the nature of the beast in march.

But I agree that Duke is a tough team to figure out.

They are going to be tough to beat though because they have 3 legit scorers, experience, size, rebounding and play great defense.

They will have trouble against long, athletic teams and teams that can really tire out the backcourt...I worry about Scheyer wearing down.

Blah blah blah, results don't matter, they're just meh, it's only Gary, blah blah blah.

Sorry, after a full season of ACC play, the Terps were 13-3 and undefeated at home. That is a fact. That actually happened.

BTW, saying MD is considerably better than the rest of the ACC isn't the same as saying they're a legit title contender. I think we can make a run, but I don't think we're a serious contender either. Also, Duke's average margin of victory in ACC play was 15, MD's was 11.7. Not that much of a difference.

So how can we be overrating MD for a while now, when the REALITY is that we tied for the ACC regular season championship? That actually happened...

How about reading comments by Terps fans in this thread to figure out the answer...Also, the talent on the court for the Terps isn't overwhelming.

As I said, second best team in the conference, no doubt...Head and shoulders above everyone else? No way.

Here is what I know: Duke has won 8 of 11 ACC Tournaments, and they're in the finals tomorrow. You can be "unimpressed," but that's a great accomplishment. Only one team will win the NCAA Tournament, so I'd be glad to have another ACC crown in our trophy case and then I'll worry about how far Duke goes in the NCAA's.

If Duke wins tomorrow they're a #1 seed, and that means a ridiculously easy Round 1 game and then an 8 or 9 seed in Round 2. They're not losing those games, no way. Will they lose in the Sweet 16? Maybe, we'll see. These teams fluctuate up and down. But I think this year's team can go pretty far.

Here is what I know: Duke has won 8 of 11 ACC Tournaments, and they're in the finals tomorrow. You can be "unimpressed," but that's a great accomplishment. Only one team will win the NCAA Tournament, so I'd be glad to have another ACC crown in our trophy case and then I'll worry about how far Duke goes in the NCAA's.

If Duke wins tomorrow they're a #1 seed, and that means a ridiculously easy Round 1 game and then an 8 or 9 seed in Round 2. They're not losing those games, no way. Will they lose in the Sweet 16? Maybe, we'll see. These teams fluctuate up and down. But I think this year's team can go pretty far.

I agree that they aren't losing their first-round game. But if you have been watching Duke and don't think they could lose to one of those teams in the 7-10 range (getting a #1 or #2 seed), I don't know what to tell you.

If you don't think Duke can lose in the second round, I don't know what to say. They are far from a lock to make a deep run. Far from it.

And don't congratulate yourself on winning the tournament yet. You've beaten the nine seed and twelve seed both of whom were without their best players. And now you get GT, the seven seed, another sub-.500 team. Duke may very well win the tourney but, unlike other years, I wouldn't count winning this one as much of an accomplishment this season.

If you don't think Duke can lose in the second round, I don't know what to say. They are far from a lock to make a deep run. Far from it.

And don't congratulate yourself on winning the tournament yet. You've beaten the nine seed and twelve seed both of whom were without their best players. And now you get GT, the seven seed, another sub-.500 team. Duke may very well win the tourney but, unlike other years, I wouldn't count winning this one as much of an accomplishment this season.

Its always an accomplishment to win 3 games in 3 days in the ACC.

MD fans were boasting when they beat UVA, NC St and GT in one week.

The ACC is down this year but its always an accomplishment to with the ACCT.

Now, that being said, today is no lock...Favors is the best player on the court in practically every game he plays in and today is no exception.

Duke should press GT early and force TOs...Use their big to get fouls down low and send them to the line, where they struggle.

As for the NCAAT....You basically saying they are guaranteed to lose in the sweet 16 is an OldFan-ish statement..ie pretty poor.

I do agree they could lose...Hell, i agree they could lose in the second round...I am worried about a potential matchup with Marquette or Louisville or even Texas, despite them sucking the last 6 weeks this year.

But I expect them to go deeper this year but certainly wouldn't be surprised if they lost early.

Archived