Texas Manager Admits Cocaine Use in 2009

waroriole

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmO_KMmKiwp.FYAQNAN5SWURvLYF?slug=jp-washingtoncocaine031710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Kind of shows both sides of the gun...

I would just be so livid that the manager didn't have enough respect for his star player....hadn't learned, hadn't seen or talked to him and his struggles. Not to mention that his actions specifically hindered his star's sobriety.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmO_KMmKiwp.FYAQNAN5SWURvLYF?slug=jp-washingtoncocaine031710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Kind of shows both sides of the gun...

I would just be so livid that the manager didn't have enough respect for his star player....hadn't learned, hadn't seen or talked to him and his struggles. Not to mention that his actions specifically hindered his star's sobriety.

The race thing may have saved his hyde but it really shouldnt. Hamilton was a private and Washington a NCO for crap sake!

This sounds so bad... but I must play along...

"Roll dat' dolla up I be right ova soon as I finish me some hard lookin' poses."

Regarding the OP

You know I was young once too. So I won't be looking down my nose at anyone for making a mistake regardless of age. However, I have to say that age is supposed to be accompanied by wisdom. If not on the part of the person than certainly by MLB. If the sport is serious about cleaning itself up and policing itself responsibly then it needs to take a stand. Send this man or any player to rehab for 30 days and let them deal with the shame publicly.

If one of our beloved Orioles was outed today like this... What would you do? You going to release a star? Or would you at least privately and publicly do the right thing?

I don't recall looking down my nose at anyone. I said that I don't believe it was the first time he did coke at age 57.

Can you imagine what other fans are going to yell at him? It aint gonna be pretty. Heck even in Texas if he leaves a pitcher in too long fans are gonna yell stop smoking the crack pipe and go get your pitcher. It is bad.

I doubt he gets much flak from the fanbase. It's not like cocaine in baseball is unprecedented.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5003261

Pretty shocking. He said that it was the first and only time he ever did cocaine. I find it hard to believe that a 57 year old man tries coke for the first time.

Good riddance. Its couldn't have happened to a more unlikeable guy!

Seriously. I know its gonna sound like Monday morning quarterbacking, but I just never liked this guy. He always seemed like an ass to me, and I'm glad he's gone.

Edit: They said on the radio this morning that Texas accepted his resignation. I guess they were wrong????

The race thing may have saved his hyde but it really shouldnt. Hamilton was a private and Washington a NCO for crap sake!

Why do you keep using the military analogy? They obviously go by a much stricter set of rules for a reason.

Good riddance. Its couldn't have happened to a more unlikeable guy!

Seriously. I know its gonna sound like Monday morning quarterbacking, but I just never liked this guy. He always seemed like an ass to me, and I'm glad he's gone.

Edit: They said on the radio this morning that Texas accepted his resignation. I guess they were wrong????

Dipper, he's not gone, they are sticking by him and not accepting the resignation. Unless I missed something.

There's more to this story. Apparently, a club employee was using it to blackmail the club.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/17/2048257/cocaine-blackmail-converge-on.html

You knew there had to be more to it than that. For it to come out now, 9 or so months after it happened...something just didn't seem right.

In the jock kingdom, when you step up, confess, and say the magical "I'm sorry," we forgive you. It's happens every time. It's the rules. Roger Clemens never learned the rules. Clemens is now baseball scum.

Granted, it wasn't a sudden pang of guilt that caused Washington to confess to his Rangers bosses, and also to MLB drug lords. The truth only surfaced after an MLB drug-tester showed up unannounced at the clubhouse in July and told Washington it was time to whiz in a cup.

Ron knew immediately it was a bad time. He notified Ryan and Jon Daniels, plus MLB. Eventually, his test came back positive, but by then the right people knew he had done wrong.

And the right people backed him, then and now.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/17/2048257_p2/cocaine-blackmail-converge-on.html#ixzz0iY7Cq216

This part is spot on. Washington handled this really well and did what Clemens, Bonds and others who just play the "deny, deny, deny" card should do.

What is more astounding to me is that the Rangers apparently allowed themselves to be blackmailed about this for several months! Is it really that huge of a deal that your manager popped positive for coke that you accede to blackmail from one of your own employees? The sleazebag should have been fired and arrested immediately.

Archived