Cal Speaks

Hank Scorpio

I've never said he's infallible. But usually when someone lies, they don't do it without even being asked a question.

I don't walk up to girls at bars and tell them I have a foot long Chien-Ming. I wait until they ask me before lying.

An unprompted lie about something he'd have no reason to lie about just makes no sense. Why would he lie about it? He'd justifiably be pretty pissed off about the whole ordeal if Angelos said that to him. No reason to lie about it without even being asked in a prepared statement.

Take that sentence out of the statement, and then there is a reason to believe the comment was made. With that sentence in there, all reason to believe it was ever made flies out the window, because Cal has no reason to deny it in that venue if it was made.

The difference between your wiener at the bar and Cal Ripken, is that there was already claims out there in regards to Angelos making that comment and Ripken being rejected. Theoretically (by your standards), he didn't have to respond to ANYTHING, but he touched on every aspect of the Rosenthal story.

If you read Ripken's response, there is nothing negative to come out of it, so Angelos and the Orioles look squeaky clean. However, if you look into it, you can tell someone is lying, and I think it's Angelos. In regards to Ripken vs. Angelos comment, I still think he's being diplomatic. He was diplomatic in his entire speech/write-up in that there was no negativity towards the Orioles or Angelos.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that is getting too detailed in the exact wording. I suppose its possible, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Cal pretty clearly came out and said the comments being attributed to Angelos about not wanting to share success with Ripken were false. He didn't comment anywhere on whether a job was offered/requested, so I'm open to an opinion that says they actually have talked about a job and for whatever reason, nothing is gonna happen right now. But I'm not open to a scenario where anyone believes that Angelos said those things Rosenthal reporter to Cal and then Cal lied about it to everyone to cover it up. That is an impossibility as far as I'm concerned.

That is exactly what prepared statements to the media do; "get detailed in the exact wording".

My point is that Ripken has "not necessarily" refuted the comment attributed to Angelos about "not wanting credit given to him once the club returned to prominence". His attorneys could quite possibly come up with this wording in order to appear that he was refuting this comment attributed to Angelos. This is a tried and true diplomatic ploy and is not lying.

I can't say definitely if this is the case, but it is quite plausible in my opinion.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Ken-Rosenthal-Balitmore-Orioles-should-call-on-legends-for-advice-041910

Did I miss this get posted already?

EDIT: Sounds like he has an ax to grind against Ripken, too.

That was a hack-job column if I ever read one. He's spends half of it trashing Angelos for not hiring Ripken, than the other half trashing Ripken. Rosenthal basically confirmed every negative thing that was said about him, short of whether or not he made this all up.

OH becomes the "View", the "National Inquirer" and "Entertainment Tonight"..these are grown men, whatever the conversation was..it was not meant for public consumption and if Rosenthal is down to publishing second hand baseball gossip (true or not) he should look more at what goes on in the field instead of this stuff which only has interest in small market Baltimore and makes it looks even smaller.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Ken-Rosenthal-Balitmore-Orioles-should-call-on-legends-for-advice-041910

Did I miss this get posted already?

EDIT: Sounds like he has an ax to grind against Ripken, too.

That was a hack-job column if I ever read one. He's spends half of it trashing Angelos for not hiring Ripken, than the other half trashing Ripken. Rosenthal basically confirmed every negative thing that was said about him, short of whether or not he made this all up.

Well, is Rosenthal going to say "I am sorry." He compounds it by saying now, "Ripken is controlling, passive-agressive." So, PA and #8 are both jerks..keep talking Ken.

He compounds it by saying now, "Ripken is controlling, passive-agressive."

He could be right about that... but even if he is, he just lost the PR-battle... because almost nobody is gonna side with him over Cal... fair or not, that's just how it is...

Has Cal made known that he wants to own the Orioles some day? Yes!

Has PA (in his bungling way) let it be known that he wants to be remembered as the one who returned the Orioles to greatness? Yes!

So what if the actual turn of events was that CAL once again, (Now that he feels ready to return to the game), approached PA about buying the club and PA said "Not yet. Let me and AM finish with the turn around we've finally started!"

Cal mentions, in an off hand way, to someone that PA turned him down for now because he wants to see this through for his own joy, and to repair, (somewhat), his tarnished image before he passes on!

I can easily see Rosenthal jumping on this and twisting it to further his vindictive feelings towards PA.

So what if nobody is lying and KR was just guilty of over embellishing? Would PA be such a terrible person for wanting to stick around long enough to accomplish what he set out to do from the get go? I think not!

Ted Turner was in the same position in the 80's. He was hated around Atlanta for turning the Braves into a laughing stock. When he finally wised up and let good baseball people run the club the team became a perennial winner and he is much loved around Atlanta to this day!

Seems like you would have to be very, very close to this particular issue to really know what went on. Not doubting you, really, but how many sources could possibly know exactly what was said?

I'm not THAT close to the issue. If you are willing to look beyond any biases and opinion on the matter, his information is credible. That's all I know.

How he presents the information, that's one thing. But Rosenthal's information should be trusted here.

Archived