MacPhail losing my support

bluedog

Watching the O's tonight in the 5th inning, where our 3b (who is a shortstop) blows two plays that a quality 3b might have made and then compounds it by trying to throw the ball backhand to the 2b from about 30 feet away and throws it away, and then our 1b (who is a 3b) gets a ball hit to him that's a perfect step on the bag, throw home double play, but doesn't even look home allowing a run to score that didn't have to, only to be followed by our 2b (who's best position is almost certainly 1b) fails to make a play on a ball that any other starting 2b in the East makes.

Seriously - we have great starting pitching. The philosophy for several years now has supposedly been building around pitching and defense and playing fundamentally sound baseball. But when we look at our defense, it is nothing even close to fundamentally sound at the majority of our positions.

Markakis, Weiters, Jones and Izturis are all above average defensively. The other four guys are below average at best, and we may have 3 of the worst players in the league at their position (2b, 3b, 1b) currently playing.

Now the injury to Roberts isn't AM's fault, but bringing in Atkins and Tejada to play out of position IS his fault.

I've been a huge supporter of AM throughout his tenure, but it is inexcusable to give away runs like we do on a regular basis because we have players who can't effectively field their position starting on this team.

Since we theoretically have Tejada and Atkins here for their offense (which they aren't providing) then I really have to wonder what in the world AM is thinking right now.

I'd really like to see the O's field a strong defensive team behind our strong pitching rather than to give away runs like we're doing now. I really don't see what AM is doing with this team. He may not have been able to find all-star players in free agency this year, but he could have gotten players who weren't a liability at their position with the glove.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watching the O's tonight in the 5th inning, where our 3b (who is a shortstop) blows two plays that a quality 3b might have made and then compounds it by trying to throw the ball backhand to the 2b from about 30 feet away and throws it away, and then our 1b (who is a 3b) gets a ball hit to him that's a perfect step on the bag, throw home double play, but doesn't even look home allowing a run to score that didn't have to, only to be followed by our 2b (who's best position is almost certainly 1b) fails to make a play on a ball that any other starting 2b in the East makes.

Seriously - we have great starting pitching. The philosophy for several years now has supposedly been building around pitching and defense and playing fundamentally sound baseball. But when we look at our defense, there is nothing even close to fundamentally sound at the majority of our positions.

Markakis, Weiters, Jones and Izturis are all above average defensively. The other four guys are below average at best, and we may have 3 of the worst players in the league at their position (2b, 3b, 1b) currently playing.

Now the injury to Roberts isn't AM's fault, but bringing in Atkins and Tejada to play out of position IS his fault.

I've been a huge supporter of AM throughout his tenure, but it is inexcusable to give away runs like we do on a regular basis because we have players who can't effectively field their position starting on this team.

Since we theoretically have Tejada and Atkins here for their offense (which they aren't providing) then I really have to wonder what in the world AM is thinking right now.

I'd really like to see the O's field a strong defensive team behind our strong pitching than to give away runs like we're doing now. I really don't see what AM is doing with this team. He may not have been able to find all-star players in free agency this year, but he could have gotten players who weren't a liability at their position with the glove.

They're on one-year contracts.

Miggys done well at 3rd before tonight. 1st game back, might be some rust there.

Roberts is hurt...Wiggy isn't your ideal 2nd baseman.

I'm just as frustrated as anyone else...but MacPhail isn't repsonsible for players performing well below their career averages so far this year. No one thought this team would suck this bad.

They're on one-year contracts.

You're 100% correct they are one year contracts, but I think just like this team, AM showed lack of effort trying to bring in REAL talent that this team needed to WIN! He tried to pull the sheets over our eyes and suggest Atkins will improve this year and is intended to be our cleanup guy and big bat. There was a reason no one wanted to sign a guy that had three consecutive years of decline the previous three seasons. Miggy is OK. Millwood was solid.

Gonzo was a terrible signing too. Again, AM making another poor decision by signing a guy that hasn't proven himself as a closer. And proved to us already he just can't close out games very effectively.

That's 50% of the talent that we picked up this offseason that was supposed to help us win, is actually helping us lose. Blow save after blown save isn't helping and hitting under 250 like Atkins isn't helping either.

AM needs to have a fire lit under his butt! Seriously the fans that actually care and still show up for games aren't stupid Andy! Do something to show WINS MATTER!

As if MacPhail intentionally put a team together that'd bat .150 with RISP.

No kidding, players are under-performing at this point. I think the pitching has been better overall. Pitching performs better and the hitting takes a step back. MacPhail brought in Atkins and Gonzalez for a combined $10.5M in 2010. I would rather have had a better player, but even with those moves, this start is not MacPhail's fault IMO.

Dont blame McPhail for this crap. Blame the so called "players" we have out there.

He's the one that put this team together!

He can tell DT how to coach the crap performance of this team. Just because he isn't in the dugout, doesn't mean he can't get involved. Something needs to be done. I feel worse than a Pirates fan, KC Royals fan and Nats fan after Opening Day combined!

You're 100% correct they are one year contracts, but I think just like this team, AM showed lack of effort trying to bring in REAL talent that this team needed to WIN! He tried to pull the sheets over our eyes and suggest Atkins will improve this year and is intended to be our cleanup guy and big bat. There was a reason no one wanted to sign a guy that had three consecutive years of decline the previous three seasons. Miggy is OK. Millwood was solid.

Gonzo was a terrible signing too. Again, AM making another poor decision by signing a guy that hasn't proven himself as a closer. And proved to us already he just can't close out games very effectively.

That's 50% of the talent that we picked up this offseason that was supposed to help us win, is actually helping us lose. Blow save after blown save isn't helping and hitting under 250 like Atkins isn't helping either.

AM needs to have a fire lit under his butt! Seriously the fans that actually care and still show up for games aren't stupid Andy! Do something to show WINS MATTER!

Oh horse****.

If you're going to whine about what is wrong with the team, at least do it accurately and in context, not spinning like JTrea glancing around at the Gonzalez and Teixeira posters on his wall.

Dont blame McPhail for this crap. Blame the so called "players" we have out there.

I blame him for not getting better players than Tejada & Atkins.... Tejada's power disappeared with the juice & Atkins sucked last year.... We continue under Angelos's ownersip to bring in 2nd tier retreads.:mad:

Oh horse****.

If you're going to whine about what is wrong with the team, at least do it accurately and in context, not spinning like JTrea glancing around at the Gonzalez and Teixeira posters on his wall.

If you don't want to read peoples posts who disagree with your opinion put them on Ignore, because clearly you don't provide any counter argument to my post.

Archived