MacPhail losing my support

bluedog

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously? JTreaian? Thats what you came up with?

Seriously ... He's just Trolling .... I thought Saltydogg made some valid points. Some that I agree with also. Saltydogg took the time to write more than a few word post & is accused of being JTreaian. I guess that makes me that also.

Post an argument and I'll respond. All I see is a bunch of JTreaian nonsense.

Let me do the math for you Sir! And make it simple to undestand!

Mr. McPhail signed or traded for 4 baseball players this offseason. He acquired Kevin Millwood via trade, and signed Michael Gonzalez, Miguel Tejada and Garret Atkins.

Still with me BT?

So far this season Kevin Millwood has done well. And Miggy has been OK. 2 of 4 players have been satisfactory so far.

So far this season Garret Atkins has been atrocious. Batting a whopping 241 and an OPS of 583. 0 HR's and 5 RBI'S. Not to mention how brutal he has been with RISP!! And for three consecutive seasons has seen his numbers RBI, HR and average decline. As far as I can tell FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!

The other acquisition, Michael Gonzalez. Currently is on the DL, has an ERA of 18.00. Has saved 1 game out of 3. And in 2009 was only successful in 10 out of 17 chances. Why sign him for a closer? Internal options maybe? Come on now. Another FAIL!

So that makes 4 players he has acquired. 2 of them have not been as great as McPhail suggested they would be. So two divided by four equals 50% with my calculations.

I hope I didn't lose you BT. Now maybe you can offer a counter argument! Maybe!

Mr. McPhail signed or traded for 4 baseball players this offseason. He acquired Kevin Millwood via trade, and signed Michael Gonzalez, Miguel Tejada and Garret Atkins.

Still with me BT?

So far this season Kevin Millwood has done well. And Miggy has been OK. 2 of 4 players have been satisfactory so far.

So far this season Garret Atkins has been atrocious. Batting a whopping 241 and an OPS of 583. 0 HR's and 5 RBI'S. Not to mention how brutal he has been with RISP!! And for three consecutive seasons has seen his numbers RBI, HR and average decline. As far as I can tell FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!

The other acquisition, Michael Gonzalez. Currently is on the DL, has an ERA of 18.00. Has saved 1 game out of 3. And in 2009 was only successful in 10 out of 17 chances. Why sign him for a closer? Internal options maybe? Come on now. Another FAIL!

So that makes 4 players he has acquired. 2 of them have not been as great as McPhail suggested they would be. So two divided by four equals 50% with my calculations.

You drinking tonight? You need to relax.

On purpose Don... I dont think anyone is accusing Am of that. I think he was penny pinching. Something AM has been guilty of in other GM jobs.

I understand the charges against him, I just don't agree with them. If the Orioles utilize the budget to prop up the team in the short term, the money will not be there when we need it to sign our key talent that we have in house for the long term.

Wieters, Matusz are going to be substantial investments for a permanent rebuild (and perhaps Jones, Bell, Arrieta, or even Pie if they all hit their potential).

I also didn't see any free agents out there that would have turned this ship around this year. Although, there are some trades that seem to be out there that could help us now.

The start this year is brutal, and I get the lost patience, but reason still needs to prevail, and just dumping everyone (AM, DT and their little dog too) is an easy answer that doesn't fix anything. In my humble estimation.

-Don

Seriously? JTreaian? Thats what you came up with?

After some of his Pirate posts today, I actually believe JTreaian to be a verb, not an adjective. In the future, it will be utilized in the language to describe situations where all logic is suspended and desk pounding replaces discourse.

-Don

Still with me BT?

Obviously you want to take the high road here, but yes, still with you.

That's not what you said. This is what you said:

He tried to pull the sheets over our eyes and suggest Atkins will improve this year and is intended to be our cleanup guy and big bat.

That is a complete and utter lie, unless you can prove it. He was signed as a reclamation project, and that was acknowledged all along.

You don't whether a pitcher can close until you try him there. If you want to argue that he shouldn't have been given the job after last year, that's one thing, although in years prior he did perform as a closer. And he was apparently pitching hurt.

I hate the fact that he was signed right now, too. But that is based on how he performed in those three games and apparently hiding an injury. You are having major hindsight issues.

I bet you thought you told me, didn't you. But you tried to back-track on a blatant lie, and you exposed extreme hindsight on your view of Gonzalez.

You see why I reacted in a manner suggesting things not worth discussing? I hope so, and I hope you will try to offer more honest and rational criticisms in the future. That way we can actually discuss things, assuming you want to discuss on a discussion board.

As if MacPhail intentionally put a team together that'd bat .150 with RISP.

My point had nothing to do with their offense. It had to do with putting a poor defensive team on the field with 2 starters out of position behind a young pitching staff who deserves a better defense behind them.

Watching this team make defensive gaffs on a regular basis isn't fun and there's no reason why we couldn't have put together a better defensive squad. Aubrey had a slick glove and put up a respectable .826 OPS in his short stint with the O's last year. I'd rather have seen him get the opportunity to start for the club than use Atkins out of position.

And I'd almost prefer giving Turner a shot at 3rd over Tejada, as he could probably put up a .300 average with little power and that's looking like what we're going to get from Miggy this year.

Just saying - Tejada and Atkins out of position, even for one season - isn't in line with the stated strategy the O's have preached (defense & pitching) during the AM reign and there were other options available that could have put far superior defensive players in the lineup even without a big free agent signing.

I understand the charges against him, I just don't agree with them. If the Orioles utilize the budget to prop up the team in the short term, the money will not be there when we need it to sign our key talent that we have in house for the long term.

Wieters, Matusz are going to be substantial investments for a permanent rebuild (and perhaps Jones, Bell, Arrieta, or even Pie if they all hit their potential).

I also didn't see any free agents out there that would have turned this ship around this year. Although, there are some trades that seem to be out there that could help us now.

The start this year is brutal, and I get the lost patience, but reason still needs to prevail, and just dumping everyone (AM, DT and their little dog too) is an easy answer that doesn't fix anything. In my humble estimation.

-Don

The Orioles have no right to expect their fans to be patient. If the Orioles produce a winning team the fans will spend money & attend games. Revenues will go up & there will be plenty of money. There were/are options but again you get what you pay for in trades or free agency. The Orioles have a bad habit of getting guys on the down swing because they are cheap.

You don't whether a pitcher can close until you try him there. If you want to argue that he shouldn't have been given the job after last year, that's one thing, although in years prior he did perform as a closer. And he was apparently pitching hurt.

I hate the fact that he was signed right now, too. But that is based on how he performed in those three games and apparently hiding an injury. You are having major hindsight issues.

He was 10 out of 17 for the Braves ... That suggest a problem doesnt it?

Archived