O. Cabrera Willing to Move to Third for Tejada

erb8472

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking if Migs was dealt and no SS came back, then a Julio Lugo type player would be targeted during the offseason.

That would be ok. Although I would prefer to go with a younger option.

Could Melvin Mora be considered an option at SS?

Isn't the title of this thread a little misleading? I have read the article several times, but still can't see where Cabrera said he would be willing to move to 3B. The following is the best I could come up with, and its still pretty ambiguous.

Two years later, Cabrera's stance has softened somewhat. He said he would welcome the addition if the Angels were able to swing a trade for All-Star Miguel Tejada, but he still can't imagine changing positions.

Hey, no apologies needed...I just don't think its really clear that is what he is saying. But even so, I guess its really not his decision anyway. I know the team likes to keep their players happy, but as Soriano found out, they will move you if they deem it necessary.

I would prefer another position player (McPherson or Kotchman) instead of Shields, but gun to my head, I do that deal.

Expanding a Tejada deal might poison it. No need to do that.

Further, Stallion is right that Shields isn't what the Orioles need. The Angels, in a pennant race, need a quality reliever more.

Flipping a player is a hazzard of it's own. Better to make it a three way deal at the beginning than try to swap players later.

No Shields. Demand young pitching, the LIFEBLOOD of any good team.

Santana, Kendrick, Adenhart

I'm thinking if Migs was dealt and no SS came back, then a Julio Lugo type player would be targeted during the offseason.

Lugo is the only decent SS on the market this offseason though. I don't think its totally unlikely that he gets a 3/$24M-type deal. I don't know if I'd want to pay that much for him, but if the market for him is lower for some reason, he'd be a decent enough replacement for Tejada, as long as we replace his offense with another big bat (Abreu/Lee).

Kendrick, Santana, and Shileds for Tejada...ok and how the hell are we going to score runs?

Well we would have to sign a bat. However the amount of runs our opponents score would go down rather significantly. Imagine Santana pitching in the spot that Chen/Ortiz have occupied.

Plus Shields in the bullpen would be a huge upgrade. We would have that 8th and 9th inning combination that some thought we could luck out and get with Hawkins and Ray.

If we did trade tejada, what about signing Soriano for SS.

Right now, Santana is the premier young pitcher in baseball not named Liriano.

He and Bedard would make an awesome 1-2 punch.

Keep Benson, and stick one of Loewen/Penn in the bullpen until the deadline next year, who knows we might be able to get more for him than we can now.

If we did trade tejada, what about signing Soriano for SS.

If you think people are complaining about Tejada's defense, just wait until Soriano makes 35 errors at SS. We'd be better off moving Roberts to SS and just putting Kendrick at 2B, although that would be a pretty bad defensive combo as well.

I like the Benson idea although it is a risk. If this market is as big of a sellers market as they say it's going to be we might get more for Benson then next year at the deadline.

Also holding on to Benson means your assuming he's going to have the same type season next year, which could backfire.

As far as Soriano at short I thought about it myself, however I just gotta believe it would be awful. He was so bad at 2B that SS would be even worse in my opinion.

He definitley has the arm for it, but he's just awful at fielding. Not to mention I doubt he would sign a contract to play his 3rd position in 3 years.

If all else fails would Melvin Mora be that bad of an option at SS? I know he's getting up their in age, but he's a pretty good fielder and he has a good arm.

Unless Shields is going in another deal (like to get Shealy) then I would be heavily reluctant to take Shields back from a Tejada deal. Just for the fact that you don't know what you're going to get out of heavily used relievers year in and year out, that's a risky move IMO.

Every trade suggestion I have seen for Tejada has Santana in it. Here's my thing: We have great young pitching. I know Santana is a valuable commodity, but if I can choose between great young hitting, or great young pitching, I'll take great young hitting for our team because we have plenty of depth pitching wise.

How about this deal?

Tejada, Conine, and Fiorentino for Wood, Kendrick, and Mathis

That would make next years team:

C Hernandez

1B Gibbons

2B Roberts

SS Wood

3B Mora

LF Kendrick

CF Patterson

RF Markakis

DH Mathis

SP Bedard

SP Cabrera

SP Benson

SP Penn

SP Loewen

(Or you could sign Jason Schmidt, like I am hoping we will, and give Loewen time in the bullpen)

That would be an incredibly fun lineup to watch, if you ask me. You'd have two of the most promising hitters in the game in Wood and Kendrick, along with our our progressing young prospect in Markakis, along with our other core hitters.

As I put before I edited it, you could trade Kendrick for Kotchman and McPherson. However, you gotta go for the gold when trading Tejada. Wood and Kendrick, I'd label as gold.

Archived