BA Mock Draft

I know it would be a big reach and we have some OF's but the Austin Wilson kid from Cali looks like he is going to be the real deal. Kid can stroke and really reminds me of Micheal Taylor the Phillies prospect now with the A's I think. Anyone have a scouting report on him? Found some videos on youtube.

He's got all the tools you want from an elite pick, but there is a ton of development left to try and get those tools to play in game situations. Too much work for him to be a consideration for the O's.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know, but where are all the undeveloped Orioles' prospects who leave the organization and thrive with another organization. It could be that the Orioles have terrible minor league coaching and are no good at developing hitters. Then again, most of the hitters drafted over the last 4-5 years have at least advanced through the system. Is the talent just not great or has the talent just not been developed properly. It's a tough thing to gauge which is why I asked Stotle to clarify his opinion. Seems obvious that he feels the O's are poor at something. Would Tyler Henson, Ryan Adams, and Xavier Avery be better hitters and better developed if they had spent their last 3 seasons in another organization? If the answer is yes, tell us why.

Last year at this time, Reimold, Snyder, Joseph, Waring, and Florimon looked great offensively. Just luck, or did someone help them develop?

And where are they now?

To properly develop, you have to do it longer.

Reimold was a good college player with big power and advanced plate discipline.

He's got all the tools you want from an elite pick, but there is a ton of development left to try and get those tools to play in game situations. Too much work for him to be a consideration for the O's.

rhall who do you like beside Machado and Tallion? Anyone think Ranaudo or Harvey have a shot at coming to Bmore? How has Ranaudo looked since returning from injury? I for one am praying the Bucs dont take "Jamo".

I know it would be a big reach and we have some OF's but the Austin Wilson kid from Cali looks like he is going to be the real deal. Kid can stroke and really reminds me of Micheal Taylor the Phillies prospect now with the A's I think. Anyone have a scouting report on him? Found some videos on youtube.

http://pnrscouting.com/scoutingreports_2010_wilsonau.html

On the fielding vid I notice that all his throws are with the quick crow hop. I wonder if he does that routinely. A kid with a 70 or 80 arm should be able to use the quicker release much of the time, especially at that depth.

Or maybe this was just an anomaly.

He looks smooth, though.

EDIT: And BTW that's some serious projection on his power. How often do you get a chance to project from 40 to 70? (Not a rhetorical question).

I think he still has room to fill out through the upper body.

I do think that somebody will have to go overslot if he drops out of the top seven or eight, which he probably will. That Stanford full ride is powerful leverage.

On the fielding vid I notice that all his throws are with the quick crow hop. I wonder if he does that routinely. A kid with a 70 or 80 arm should be able to use the quicker release much of the time, especially at that depth.

Or maybe this was just an anomaly.

He looks smooth, though.

He'll be clean in the field. Good athlete with clean actions, and understands "baseball movements" as an athlete. Hit tool is biggest question mark for me, and it could be significant. Good upside, but fair amount of risk. Like him in the mid-1st and beyond -- definitely if you have a couple of extra early picks to grab some "safer" talents.

rhall who do you like beside Machado and Tallion? Anyone think Ranaudo or Harvey have a shot at coming to Bmore? How has Ranaudo looked since returning from injury? I for one am praying the Bucs dont take "Jamo".

It's tough to say. I don't like Ranaudo or Harvey for the O's. Ranaudo hasn't bounced back and I've read that some people project Harvey as a reliever. I like Pomeranz, but I've never liked him as much as the consensus. Coming into the year, I really liked Deck McGuire, but he hasn't pitched quite as well as last year. Most of the top HS arms, other than Taillon, have taken a slight step back in the rankings over the past month, and I haven't heard a whole lot of reasons why. Allie is an exception as he has risen, but his profile isn't one that I normally buy. I like Cox, but there is legitimate concern over his power at a power position (I don't believe he can play 2B). I'm not saying he won't develop power - just that the concern is legitimate. Colon intrigues me. His offensive profile reminds me a lot of Pedroia - a smaller guy with a power approach that works because of ridiculous hand-eye coordination. Evaluating where he fits is weird to me, though. Most reports say that he could probably stay at SS, with just average range, but then concede that he probably moves to 2B. If he hits and does everything else well on defense, average range should be fine at SS, IMO. If he can play SS, I would think he would rank higher, but that just hasn't been the case.

Long story short, after Harper & Taillon, there is such a wide range of opinions on how these guys will slot up. As someone who doesn't get to watch these guys, and has to go off what he reads, it's hard to establish any strong opinions. I could see the pros & cons of a number of selections, and wouldn't get fired up about them.

I have been checking out Allie the last few days. Kid is bulldog on the mound. He kind of reminds me of Hobgood. He has that big thick corn fed build. I like him alot. If Machado isn't the pick (assuming Jamo is gone) im warming up to Colon. I wish Pomeranz would put together a strong end to season improving the chance that the Bucs grab him. I would be happy with one of Colon, or Whitson. I think Whitson excites me more. One more quick question. If Rendon was available this year would he go #1 over Harper? Finally got to see him in action against Houston and the kid is the REAL deal. He made 2 great plays at 3b and crushed a 2 run HR. He looks like a man amongst boys as only a Soph. Its crazy to see how relaxed he is at the plate. Im not one to say tank it to grab the #1 pick but man he could solve some issues for us.

I have been checking out Allie the last few days. Kid is bulldog on the mound. He kind of reminds me of Hobgood. He has that big thick corn fed build. I like him alot. If Machado isn't the pick (assuming Jamo is gone) im warming up to Colon. I wish Pomeranz would put together a strong end to season improving the chance that the Bucs grab him. I would be happy with one of Colon, or Whitson. I think Whitson excites me more. One more quick question. If Rendon was available this year would he go #1 over Harper? Finally got to see him in action against Houston and the kid is the REAL deal. He made 2 great plays at 3b and crushed a 2 run HR. He looks like a man amongst boys as only a Soph. Its crazy to see how relaxed he is at the plate. Im not one to say tank it to grab the #1 pick but man he could solve some issues for us.

I don't think you would have a consensus #1 if both Harper and Rendon were in the same draft. It would probably come down to the wire and depend largely on the needs of the team drafting. The Nats may very well go with Harper since they have Zimmerman at 3B. Though Rendon could be moved to 1B.

On a personal note, I have just decided I don't want the O's drafting Allie.

Man that's harsh. :laughlol: I believe the Allie kid is supposed to bring the fastball in the upper 90's. So I'm not sure the comparison fits other than thier both big kids.

I don't think you would have a consensus #1 if both Harper and Rendon were in the same draft. It would probably come down to the wire and depend largely on the needs of the team drafting. The Nats may very well go with Harper since they have Zimmerman at 3B. Though Rendon could be moved to 1B.

Rendon would be moved to 2B or the OF before 1st. Way too good an athlete to be stuck there, and not ideal target-size for a pro 1B.

Man that's harsh. :laughlol: I believe the Allie kid is supposed to bring the fastball in the upper 90's. So I'm not sure the comparison fits other than thier both big kids.

Yeah. Mid- to upper-90s with FB; mid- to upper-80s with SL. Don't think there is any way those mechanics have him starting, but could be an elite closer if he harnesses everything. Don't think he'll ever have plus command.

Hobgood on the other hand has the mechanics to spot the ball well, but that arm strength is HIGHLY unlikely to get up to a consistent 94-96 range, which is where Allie can sit.

Archived