Oakland's Roster - 25 Americans

MurphDogg

As of right now Oakland doesn't have a single foreign born player on their 25-man roster. 28 percent of players in the majors are foreign born (as of Opening Day) so if I ran the numbers correctly there is a .000271 or a 0.0271 percent chance of a team having 25 out of 25 players born in America. Is there a reason for this? Are American-born players being systematically under-valued and this is a new Moneyball thing? Is it just a weird anomaly? What was the last team to have an entire roster of American born players? Somebody should get the Elias people on this.

Not only is their 25 man empty, but their 40 man roster AND DL only contain two non-Americans. One of their RHRP's, Henry Rodriguez is from Venezuela, who pitched in the majors last week. They also have a lefty named Pedro Figueroa who is in the minors.

They've had two so far this season. Both pitchers: Edwar Ramirez and Henry Rodriguez.

More amazing, though: It doesn't look like anyone in AAA is foreign. And there's only four in AA. And only four in High-A.

Very interesting observation...

Edwar Ramirez is in AAA now, so I guess there is your one foreigner.

They've had two so far this season. Both pitchers: Edwar Ramirez and Henry Rodriguez.

More amazing, though: It doesn't look like anyone in AAA is foreign. And there's only four in AA. And only four in High-A.

Very interesting observation...

Seems downright bizarre. Is there any reasonable way to explain this? I guess it could be just the luck of the draw, but it seems like stiff odds to me. I wonder if Beano decided that, now that everybody is camping out in the DR looking for talent, maybe the bargains are elsewhere... like maybe here...

Archived