Stuff

bigbird

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hernandez, Gibbons, Benson (who should be traded if it meant being able to get Abreu) Mora, Abreu, and Tejada is the veteran core that you build those young guys around.

You're at $57 million for 7 players and we're maybe looking at a $70 million payroll. Add another $7 million or so for the three arbitration guys you mentioned. What good is it to have these guys with so many questions surrounding the pitching.

If ABreu is gonna make 3/47, what do you think Schmidt and Wilson are going to each make BB? And that's if you actually are able to sign them. Most people think Schmidt to the O's is a pipedream.

I'd wager you can get Wilson for $6 million per year and Schmidt for $10.

Let's not forget there is a certain slugging first baseman with an ei in his name (that isn't named Palmeiro) that we are almost sure to be gunning for in FA in two years. He is going to command at least 15-17 million a year so maybe the FO is structuring for payroll flexability...

If ABreu is gonna make 3/47, what do you think Schmidt and Wilson are going to each make BB? And that's if you actually are able to sign them. Most people think Schmidt to the O's is a pipedream.

Abreu wouldn't get 3/47 on the market today.

No, he wouldn't. Look at the signings of the last couple years and look at how his numbers compare. He wouldn't get this type of money anymore.

Giles is a great comparison. Abreu is younger but Giles numbers at an older age are just as good. Abreu would likely get 3/33 - 3/39. If you think more than you just aren't being realistic based on recent signings.

I agree with this. If Abreu was younger, than yes, he would sign for more.

Teams that are in the pennant race year in and year out don't really care about his age...Not like he is 35-36. He's only 2 years older than Tejada.

But my point is how the Orioles look at it. Yes a pennant-chasing team would do something like that, but not the O's.

I thought you were talking about his age being a factor in him getting a contract on the open market.

Anyway, if the O's think his age is an issue, think they have a younger guy they like better targeted? I think not.

Sorry if my reasoning was confusing. But anyways, for that position, I think they may have a target in the off-season. What I think will happen is that the O's will pass on Abreu, Lopez will go to another team for someone else who we'll question about, and then in the off-season they'll look for Carlos Lee or someone, try and entice that person to come here, and be outbid. Kind of a bleak outlook.

No problem...

Anyway, Carlos Lee is 30 but will require at the very least a 4 year deal.

You would think we would rather committ about 30 less million and 2 less years to Abreu than pay Lee like 4-5 years/60-70 millon bucks.

BB's post made it sound like we are going to go after more guys like Hernandez and Benson. Hernandez has been a very pleasant surprise, and I even doubt the FO thought he would be this good. Benson has been Benson...A league average starter.

A bunch of signings like that are fine if you play in any other division or if you are going to try to get to .500 every year. But to contend, especially in this division, you need big time players.

So wait, now I'm getting confused, how much is Abreu going to make the next three years compared to what Lee will probably make?

Abreu would likely get 3/33 - 3/39.
Fine. Let Gillick make up the difference in salary to get us to $10-11 million/year.

If you get a guy like Abreu it tells the team we're trying to be competitive. It won't affect our playoff chances his year, but it sends a signal that 2007 could be different. This could help us sign other free agents in the winter.

Or we can continue to do what we have done and sign the Conines and Millars for a quarter of one Abreu . It would be nice to be ranked higher in the standings than we are on Forbes list of operating income. :cool:

Mench better not be one of the "two needs addressed for the price of Abreu".

Blah.

I'm guessing that the interest in Hawkins around the league is getting us closer to Shealy...they'll cave if they want him and there's competition.

No surprise on Millar. What about Niner? I think he'd be attractive to someone.

Archived