Who will be our Arizona Fall League Selections?

Orioles_Magic

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't they have to have been playing in AA on August 1st to be AFL eligible? I think Avery was called up later than that, and with Townsend and Drake going, that would make Avery ineligible.

Of course, I could have misunderstood some aspect of the rules.

Where the hell did that come from? Were his numbers just drop dead silly at SJ JC?

His numbers were good there, but he actually was drafted out of Texas (where his numbers were solid but not elite). Big question is whether the power is for real. He's always had a solid approach and shown a decent ability to work for his pitch and make hard contact, but usable power has been a question (swing plane).

Drake

Egan

Mickolio

Pelzer

Joseph

Adams

Miclat

Townsend

Other Scorpions worth following:

Sammy Solis (LHP, WAS)

Rex Brothers (RHP, COL)

Derek Norris (SS, WAS)

Brandon Belt (1B, SFN)

Marc Kraus (OF, ARI)

AJ Pollock (OF, ARI -- go Irish)

Well how 'bout that.

His numbers were good there, but he actually was drafted out of Texas (where his numbers were solid but not elite). Big question is whether the power is for real. He's always had a solid approach and shown a decent ability to work for his pitch and make hard contact, but usable power has been a question (swing plane).

I figured you'd have a thorough answer.

Which is why I asked. ;)

Drake

Egan

Mickolio

Pelzer

Joseph

Adams

Miclat

Townsend

Other Scorpions worth following:

Sammy Solis (LHP, WAS)

Rex Brothers (RHP, COL)

Derek Norris (SS, WAS)

Brandon Belt (1B, SFN)

Marc Kraus (OF, ARI)

AJ Pollock (OF, ARI -- go Irish)

Brandon Belt, 1b at Richmond can totally rake. We saw enough of him at Bowie this season and was glad he was called up for a few games.

It's the first year in a while where we haven't sent anyone to the AFL who was a big-time prospect for us. None of these pitchers will ever be in our starting rotation, and none of the hitters is very likely to be anything more than a role-player in the major leagues. I'm sure I will follow how these guys do, but I won't be reading any tea leaves regarding their major league futures.

Biggest nice surprise is probably Townsend, who has missed a lot of time but looks like a prospect on the rise. I said he might be ready, talent wise, to start next year in AA. With a good AFL, it could happen. My only question is, is he on the regular roster or the taxi squad where they can only play twice a week?

It will be interesting to see if Adams plays 2B, 3B, or both.

I am coming around to Townsend having the talent to possibly be ready for Bowie if he has a nice AFL and Spring Training.

It's the first year in a while where we haven't sent anyone to the AFL who was a big-time prospect for us. None of these pitchers will ever be in our starting rotation, and none of the hitters is very likely to be anything more than a role-player in the major leagues. I'm sure I will follow how these guys do, but I won't be reading any tea leaves regarding their major league futures.

To some extent this just reflects where the talent is in our system now. We have some fine young talent in the big leagues, and a couple of really good pitchers still at AAA (Tillman, Britton) who are beyond the point of needing to go to the AFL. We also have some high-ceiling prospects at the low levels (Machado, Schoop, Givens, Hobgood, Bundy), too young for the AFL. Meanwhile, we don't have many high-profile guys at Bowie or Norfolk, which is where you'd expect most of AFL players to come from. Avery is the only high profile guy who seemed like a fit the AFL this year (so it's definitely a surprise to see him off the list).

It's also true that some of these guys are better prospects now than they were at the start of the season. Ryan Adams has the bat to be a major league regular, perhaps as a DH, and Tyler Townsend has displayed enough power and patience in his limited playing time this year that I would call him a legitimate 1B prospect, if only he can figure out a way to stay healthy in the future.

Archived