Terps vs Navy, M&T Bank Stadium

Tony-OH

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was glad that MD was able to pull that one out. The defense showed tremendous heart in the red zone all day. After getting beat up all game, they made the stops when they had to. 5 stops in 7 tries in the red zone, that showed heart.

Having said that, I was not impressed with MD's coaches. More disappointed then I have ever been. A few things really bugged me.

1. Accepting a penalty on after a stop on third down. Navy would have been 4th and 2 on their own side of the field. They could have picked it up, but there is a lot of pressure when you go for it in your own end. MD instead accepts a penalty to give them 3rd and 18. Yes, the defense should stop 3rd and 18, but that that point, MD had not stopped Navy yet. The play negated by the accepted penalty was the first time since the first possession that MD stopped Navy. Thankfully, that drive ended with another Navy goal line fumble, but I thought they gave Navy and extra chance to get there.

2. Why put in O'Brien at that point in the game? You would think they would just run it to try for the TD. Instead, they put in O'Brien who fumbles the handoff on a running play. They weren't even passing on that play. So why not use Robinson?

3. I didn't like the pass play on 3rd down right before they kicked the game winning field goal. I don't know what the play call was, but based on where he threw it, he was looking for Smith all the way. He saw it wasn't open and threw it out of the end zone. I'm glad he threw it away, but that seemed like a very low percentage play right there.

Lastly, and this is more of a personal thought than a disagreement, but why not onside kick to open the 2nd half? MD had not stopped Navy all game. Either you get the ball, and have a chance to re-take the momentum and stretch out the lead. Or Navy gets a short field, which means they have less to go to score, and your defense gets off the field quicker. Normally, you don't want to give a team a short field, but I think the reward in that situation is far greater than the risk. If you aren't stopping a team, and your defense is getting tired being out there, why not take the chance that you get the ball back, or just give them less to go to get your defense off the field. I don't know how many teams you would say that against, but in this game, why not. Again, that's just my personal opinion, but I think that is worth it at that point in the game.

I'm very happy MD pulled it out. I don't know what this will mean for the rest of the season. But I hope it shows the team how to fight and win a game. Hopefully, the coaches learn from a few of their mistakes and the players as well.

Great effort by MD, especially the defense to make so many stands inside the redzone. I'm really happy for the players. That said, I do echo NewOwner's sentiments about the coaching, particularly on offense. I know coaches don't like to be one-dimensional, but the fact was that the offense was able to run the ball at will today and on too many occasions they went away from that. If they're going to keep Robinson as the starting QB then they should just become a strictly run-option offense, because he throws a terrible ball. I don't know how James Franklin will do as a HC, but as a play caller he just doesn't have it. But enough of that for now....I'm going to enjoy this one, and with Morgan St coming up Sat the Terps should start the season at 2-0. I'll take it.

Anybody seen Alex Wujciak today?

To be fair, the triple-option has made a lot of linebackers look foolish over the years. Wujciak and the defense tightened up in the red zone and earned the victory. It's the only time they'll face this offense this season (unless they somehow meet GT in the ACCCG). I'll judge the defense on how they do against the more conventional offenses they face this season.

MD is helped by Navy being the favorite. If it was reversed and MD was favored... I would probably pick Navy. I expect the Midshipman will put up plenty of yards on the ground, and control large amounts of the clock. That by itself should keep the game close. Navy will not stop MD from scoring though... Terps are going to win this game.

Nice call Chris.

Not a bad experience for my first college football game ever. Great showing from both teams and fanbases today. I'm much more into Maryland basketball than football, and I was more rooting for Navy today because I can't root against a service academy, but I never get tired of hearing that fight song.

As for the game, the first half was a fine offensive showing by Maryland. I kind of thought the teams switched places, because Maryland looked more like Navy than Navy. The second half was more balanced between the two, but all in all I think Maryland was fortunate to escape with a win today. Navy had multiple chances deep in Maryland territory but either turned it over, or couldn't get it done. It is Navy, but Maryland was getting beaten up up the middle by a team that's not as big and physical. First game, but not a good sign. But they did make a great stop at the end of the game, and they got the win.

All in all, great game, great weather, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

1. Accepting a penalty on after a stop on third down. Navy would have been 4th and 2 on their own side of the field. They could have picked it up, but there is a lot of pressure when you go for it in your own end. MD instead accepts a penalty to give them 3rd and 18. Yes, the defense should stop 3rd and 18, but that that point, MD had not stopped Navy yet. The play negated by the accepted penalty was the first time since the first possession that MD stopped Navy. Thankfully, that drive ended with another Navy goal line fumble, but I thought they gave Navy and extra chance to get there.

You answered your own complaint: Maryland hadn't stopped Navy all game. I was more comfortable with them at 3-18 than 4-3. Not that I didn't completely expect Navy to get the first down in either case at that point in the game.

2. Why put in O'Brien at that point in the game? You would think they would just run it to try for the TD. Instead, they put in O'Brien who fumbles the handoff on a running play. They weren't even passing on that play. So why not use Robinson?

That was a completely insane decision. The only reason to put in O'Brien is if you want to throw the ball a little and don't think Robinson can do that for you. Not in the fourth quarter of a close game to just hand-off.

3. I didn't like the pass play on 3rd down right before they kicked the game winning field goal. I don't know what the play call was, but based on where he threw it, he was looking for Smith all the way. He saw it wasn't open and threw it out of the end zone. I'm glad he threw it away, but that seemed like a very low percentage play right there.

It doesn't seem like they have ANY confidence in Robinson passing, at least tonight. Although, he did throw that beautiful pass that just happened to go right at the Navy safety with nary a Terp in the picture.

First off this was a great game to watch and I'm glad MD pulled it out. Now some points:

1) Dobbs is the reason Navy lost. His two fumbles and his insistance on calling his own number close to the goal line cost him. If he sepnt more time trying to win the ball game then keep his name in the highlights Navy would have been more successful in the red Zone and MD would have lost this by two TDs.

2) Robinson can really run, but Lord almighty he can't throw. He looks totally lost reading the defense and will basically pull it down and run with it after about three seconds in the pocket. They should really try rolling him out a bit more and see if that helps.

3) Navy's offense was fun to watch, even from a MD fan's perspective but Lord almighty I don't know how you run up the middle for 19 yards on a 3rd and 18.

4) What in the world was Fridge thinking when he put the Freshman in after the big punt return to the Navy 20? I could understand putting him in if they were on their own 20, but why not let Robinson and company try and run for those last 20 yards? It appears they had made up their mind to put O'Brien in the game regardless of the situation.

5) The play by Moten may be one the great Maryland plays of all time. To launch himself over the line and onto Dobs' back and cause a fumble is pretty special.

6) Why were the MD safeties playing so deep all the time? Were they really worried about their corners getting beat deep against Navy's WRs? Navy could throw down the middle of the field but I don't think Dobbs is going to connect on too many go routes.

7) Yelling, "You Suck" while the Navy Brigade marched on the field is pretty classless. I've had my concerns with the students section of Maryland (mainly at basketball games) but seriously, yelling you suck at the men and women as they marched onto the field? Yikes. Almost made me want to turn my shirt inside out. If you want to yell that stuff during the game at the players, I guess that's ok, but at the Navy Brigade while they marched on the field pregame? Whoever leads that crap needs a reality check.

8) Tell you what, my youngest son who is 14 went to the game and he wore his Maryland stuff as well. But he said, "That white sure does look good," after he saw some midshipmen walked by. Yes son, yes it does. It was tough to root against Navy today and luckily that will be the last time this year (although I have a hard time rooting for them against Army) I'll root against them. If they limit the turnovers and Dobbs stops calling his own number everytime they are inside the 8 yard line they are going to have some success this year, no doubt.

9) Maryland's defense came to play today and although Navy took it to them at times, they really played well in the red zone. The running game between Scott, Meggett and Robinson makes the Terps a strong play, but this team needs to get ahead early because it's not going to light up the scoreboard quickly with it's one-sided offense.

Archived