Jim Leyritz: ACQUITTED OF MANSLAUGHTER.

OFFNY

Ex-Yankee Jim Leyritz was found not guilty of DUI manslaughter charges, but found guilty of misdemeaner driving under the influence in the accident that resulted in the death of the driver in another car in 2007.

Leyritz faces a maximum of 6 months in prison for the misdemeanor conviction.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/20/2010-11-20_exyankee_jim_leyritz_acquitted_of_dui_manslaughter_charge_still_faces_misdemeano.html

I was outraged until I read that she was under the influence as well which probably aided in the verdict. I wonder if that contributed to the decision even though it probably shouldn't have.

Yes, they were both over the limit. I'm sure that that contributed to the verdict. However, he was drunk, and he did run a red light. I suppose it depends on your perspective.

On one hand, you might say that they were both drunk, hence both were making the potentially deadly decision to drive while drunk ........ therefore, she was not much of a victim, but merely another irresponsible driver that just happened to get killed instead of killing someone else ........

On the other hand, Leyritz was drunk and he ran a red light, so you could argue that her intoxication was a moot point, because it was Leyritz' wrecklessness (driving drunk AND running a red light) which caused her death.

I was outraged until I read that she was under the influence as well which probably aided in the verdict. I wonder if that contributed to the decision even though it probably shouldn't have.
That does change things around a bit. A drunk hitting a drunk. So ironic it's almost comical. While she certainly didn't deserve death they did deserve each other.

On the other hand, Leyritz was drunk and he ran a red light, so you could argue that her intoxication was a moot point, because it was Leyritz' wrecklessness (driving drunk AND running a red light) which caused her death.

Freudian slip there. I have no sympathy for Leyritz, but it's always hard to judge these cases based on newspaper accounts.

Archived