Red Sox/Padres Talking AGon Trade (UPDATE: Trade done)

MrOrange82

We can get as "creative" as possible and the reality is we will never have the creme de la creme like Boston and NY do.

I sure do hope that this isn't one of those head scratcher deals that come from NY all the time, where I say "They got THAT player and only gave up THOSE GUYS!?".

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No major league players AND an extension window for a contract?

Does somebody want to repost that "Still have faith in MacPhail?" poll again.

He's pathetic.

Casey Kelly's numbers don't look any better than Zach B's. And i'm sure we could've made the other pieces work to put a better deal together by throwing in Arrieta or Tillman plus other prospects with Zach B.

Puts the whole "Mark Reynolds, Jason Bartlett, JJ Hardy" garbage into perspective. Some GMs play to win...others play for 5th place.

Giving up Britton and Arrieta and other prospects is a horrible idea, when you also have to sign the guy to an extension which will take up over 20% of your payroll for the next 7-8 years.

I knew we never had a shot at AGon anyway, so this news doesn't particularly bother me other than the fact that once again the Sox and Yanks continue to play...to win...the game....while MacPhail tries his darnedest to try to put a team together that MIGHT make a run at 4th place, IF everything falls into place! :cussing:

In other words, this news does not make me angry at the Sox, it just adds to my pissed offedness at MacPhail!

Its just a shame this happened on a weekend. I would have loved to sit around all day watching the Trea Meltdown, Part Deux!

No major league players AND an extension window for a contract?

Puts the whole "Mark Reynolds, Jason Bartlett, JJ Hardy" garbage into perspective. Some GMs play to win...others play for 5th place.

:boogie: 5th Place :boogie: 5th Place :boogie: 5th Place :boogie:

At least we don't have to listen to JTrea talk about AGon anymore.

This surely means that Beltre signs elsewhere and the Red Sox get two additional draft picks.

Seriously? We are STILL listening to him about Tex and that ws two years ago! :o

I honestly don't know if which makes me feel like more of a loser being an Oriole fan.....the regular season and actually losing, or the offseason and the temporary hope that comes with it until the slow reveal that we have yet another year of losing in store. And we actually have a lot of young talent and a joke of a payroll. I'll be interested to see who is in this deal.

Reynolds has played 34 games at 1B over the last three years.

So we could still trade for him while pursuing Beltre, at the same time.

If we get both, then Reynolds plays 1B and Beltre plays 3B. If we just get Reynolds, he plays 3B.

You know, this doesn't seem to be that bad of an idea. I don't think Beltre would come here, but if he did, this isn't a bad idea. Reynolds couldn't possibly be as bad as Adam Dunn at first base.

Who's to say that Gonzalez would be willing to sign an extension with us?

Just because he's willing to do so with the Sox, doesn't automatically mean he'd do it with us too.

We don't exactly have the recent track record of contending that they do.

And without an extension, the trade wouldn't be worth doing, IMO.

Adrian Gonzalez isn't going to doom this franchise like so many people here think. He is a good defensive 1Bman, but from 2006-10, he averaged 4.54 WAR/season (though from 08-10 he's averaged 5.2/season). I would estimate moving into the AL East would neutralize his move out of Petco.

From 2007-10

Prince Fielder 19.0 WAR

Derrek Lee 14.3 WAR

Adam Dunn 9.3 WAR

Paul Konerko 9.9 WAR

Adam LaRoche 8.9 WAR

Gonzalez was worth 18.8 WAR over the same period.

Clearly, he's an excellent player, but the O's can get more value upgrading positions like SS and 3B where we've been so deficient recently. Having an excellent 1Bman is not a make-or-break situation for this team.

This is the worst response I've seen you make in quite some time. Just admit you were wrong. All AM was doing was trying to get the unrealistic expectations under control. He's not downgrading the prospects, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an absolute moron, or has an agenda they are promoting. Or both.

Archived