Red Sox/Padres Talking AGon Trade (UPDATE: Trade done)

MrOrange82

Per mlbtraderumors:

The Red Sox and Padres are discussing a potential trade that would send Adrian Gonzalez to Boston, according to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com. Red Sox GM Theo Epstein appears to be making "some headway" in tempting Padres GM Jed Hoyer with a package of top prospects, Edes reports.

The proposed deal would include minor league players only. Hoyer, new assistant Josh Byrnes and Padres exec Jason McLeod are all former Red Sox executives, so they know the team's system well. Other clubs also have strong interest in the first baseman.

Suffice is to say I think a consummated deal would ruin my Christmas.

Also, apologies if this should be in MLB, but since we've all discussed AGon at-length, I figured it'd be OK here.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing that would make me sad here is if the Sox sign him to an extension. Otherwise, more power to them! They'll be spending some prospects for a one-time shot at the postseason. We're not going to be winning the division next year anyway. (Sorry, Cindy. Yes there's always hope.)

I hope the Padres soak them for all they're worth.

I think everyone knew he was going to end up on the Red Sox it was just a dream to have a legitimate middle of the order 1B.

I just wish the blurb had been slightly more detailed in re: "minor league players only." Depending on who they're discussing, that could change my opinion of the trade-math (up to now I've thought it'd be dumb to trade a bunch of ML talent for one year of AGon sans-extension).

The only thing that would make me sad here is if the Sox sign him to an extension. Otherwise, more power to them! They'll be spending some prospects for a one-time shot at the postseason. We're not going to be winning the division next year anyway. (Sorry, Cindy. Yes there's always hope.)

I hope the Padres soak them for all they're worth.

The Red Sox are going to sign him to an extension. He wants to play in Boston and the guy who scouted him for the Marlins is now with the Red Sox.

The Red Sox want him very badly.

They'll have AGon and Youkilis at the corners to combat Teixeira and ARod and the Orioles will have...who knows?

And soaking the Red Sox isn't going to hurt them one bit. Just look at what they traded to get VMart.

The Red Sox will have no problem replacing prospects because they'll have several years to do so while their core of AGon, Pedroia, Youkilis, Lester and Buchholz win games.

The Red Sox are going to sign him to an extension. He wants to play in Boston and the guy who scouted him for the Marlins is now with the Red Sox.

They'll have AGon and Youkilis at the corners to combat Teixeira and ARod and the Orioles will have...who knows?

How do you know this!?!? Everything I have read says he wants to stay in California. I think the Dodgers would be a serious competitor to the Sawx.

And soaking the Red Sox isn't going to hurt them one bit. Just look at what they traded to get VMart.

The Red Sox will have no problem replacing prospects because they'll have several years to do so while their core of AGon, Pedroia, Youkilis, Lester and Buchholz win games.

Orioles will probably have Overbay and Wigginton.

I often get a kick out of reading the MLBTR comments, especially when non-O's fans suggest trades involving O's prospects. It helps me get some perspective and hopefully eliminate the orange-colored glasses effect that makes me overvalue our prospects and undervalue other teams' players.

So, just BTW, one posted mentioned Tillman, Britton, and Avery as a possible trade for Gonzalez and the immediate response was "not enough."

Another suggested Pie, Hoes, and Britton and again the response was "nowhere close to enough."

I often get a kick out of reading the MLBTR comments, especially when non-O's fans suggest trades involving O's prospects. It helps me get some perspective and hopefully eliminate the orange-colored glasses effect that makes me overvalue our prospects and undervalue other teams' players.

So, just BTW, one posted mentioned Tillman, Britton, and Avery as a possible trade for Gonzalez and the immediate response was "not enough."

Nope we'd have to offer Matusz or Jones IMO and Arrieta as a starting point.

Fielder will come much cheaper and will produce very similarly offensively if not better IMO.

The only caveat being he won't extend but that's not saying you can't re-sign him if you are willing to offer the highest bid.

Trading prospects for AGon and extending him and trading prospects for Fielder and re-signing him are about the same IMO. The Orioles would likely get more bang for their buck with Fielder as they wouldn't have to trade as much to get him and they'd have shorter contract.

Fielder would likely take a 6-7 year deal for 25 million per IMO while Gonzalez wants 8 years and is 2 years older.

Nope we'd have to offer Matusz or Jones IMO and Arrieta as a starting point.

Again, the "minor league players only" line gives me pause. Are the Red Sox's minor leaguers so vastly superior to what the O's have that the O's would have to include 1-2 of their very best major league players as a "starting point?"

Again, the "minor league players only" line gives me pause. Are the Red Sox's minor leaguers so vastly superior to what the O's have that the O's would have to include 1-2 of their very best major league players as a "starting point?"

Unlike the Orioles, the Red Sox hype their minor leaguers. Now Hoyer obviously can see through the hype as he knows the system, but Red Sox prospects in general are usually valued higher that the typical prospect.

The Orioles don't have a ton of depth in their system. They however have more ML ready players they can deal if they choose. Boston's prospects are still a few years away...

Unlike the Orioles, the Red Sox hype their minor leaguers. Now Hoyer obviously can see through the hype as he knows the system, but Red Sox prospects in general are usually valued higher that the typical prospect.

The Orioles don't have a ton of depth in their system. They however have more ML ready players they can deal if they choose. Boston's prospects are still a few years away...

Which doesn't exactly address the question. Granted, there may be a disparity between Jones/Matusz/Arrieta and "the next best thing" in the Orioles' system, but Britton is a very highly touted prospect, and Tillman hasn't lost all his luster. IMO, I'd think a deal would have to "start" with Britton, but filling in the gaps thereafter is what might cause problems.

Still, if the Red Sox's best prospects are a few years away, I don't see why the O's would have to gut the major league roster to make something work.

Ah, yes. Not only does MacPhail not wine and dine, he's not aggressive enough at hyping his own prospects. We need to invest in a prospect PR department. Maybe they all need glam rock makeovers and stage names like Evermore MasterThunderKiller (that's Matt Angle, if it's not clear).

Archived