Reynolds soon

wvw011166

This really isn't true. What the Sox and Yankees do is sustain themselves.

If the Orioles are better and can beat them, then we cut into that wins total.

That is the real key. Remember, the Sox and Yanks probably get 25ish wins a year against us.

This is one aspect that is rarely considered on this board. As these teams add top players they also lose players and the players they have are getting older. Sustaining is actually more accurate than getting better so as we actually do get better and are able to win more games against them we are in fact closing the gap.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all in favor of Reynolds if the price isn't awful. By the way, I know Crowley isn't the hitting coach any more, but Reynolds' problem (too many strikeouts) is one Crowley is generally very good at fixing. There's a lot of upside to this move, IMO, and I will be excited if we get him.

I'm all in favor of Reynolds if the price isn't awful. By the way, I know Crowley isn't the hitting coach any more, but Reynolds' problem (too many strikeouts) is one Crowley is generally very good at fixing. There's a lot of upside to this move, IMO, and I will be excited if we get him.

Agreed. He would have a tremenous upside in the Yards. Hope this gets done before the winter meetings start.

AM was never going to deal Tillman for him.

I think he will eventually trade DH, if he has to.

Agreed. AM's probably trying to get Towers to bite on someone other than DH (perhaps JJ), but has already made up his mind that he will give up DH if he has to.

I certainly hope that you are right. I would also go out and sign Edwin Encarnacion to play first base. The rap on Encarnacion has been his defense at third, but at first I think he would do well.

Well if we sign Edwin Arncarnace-ion, I hope we get rid of Gary Thorne.:laughlol:

I think this deal is likely to happen. I like the idea really. Reynolds has good pop. Yeah the average was bothersome last year but I think I saw a visiting D-Backs fan point out that Reynolds wasn't 100% healthy last year too. If all he costs is a reliever then I'm all for it. Hope this gets done as others have said before the meetings.

Reynolds fits perfectly for AM.

We should be able to acquire him relatively cheaply.

He is a bargain in the eyes of AM and that is what AM goes for...A very good bounce back candidate signed for 2 years with an option..very friendly contract.

He is 27, which is historically the peak season for players.

Is this a critique or are you just sayin'...?

Haha, I was looking around for a DBacks version of the Hangout and I stumbled across this place.

One guy had this to say:

Josh Bell completely flopped for the Orioles, so there is a hole at third base for Reynolds to fill. However, the problem is that there is a shocking lack of parts for the Orioles to send to Arizona in return. There aren't any third basemen or corner outfielders worth including, and no high-upside relievers to speak of except possibly Jason Berken. In fact, the only piece that might be worth dealing for is Adam Jones, who hasn't progressed like expected but still is a nice 2.5 WAR player with enough physical tools to still have upside.

Jones is headed to arbitration for the first time this year, so he'll be scheduled to make some nice money, but he has three years of control remaining, whereas Reynolds only has one. So even though Reynolds is the better player, it's hard to argue that the D-backs should be asking for much more than Jones in return for Reynolds. If he can benefit from a jump to Chase Field and the NL, and provide plus defense in left field, he would be a plenty-sufficient return for Mark.

Batting average isn't as important these days as OBP is. It's a nice number in context, but if you're batting .198 with a .320 OBP, you're taking a lot of walks, getting a lot of hits but trading getting out with the ball in play for striking out a ton.

If surrounded by the right players, new hitting coaches, new manager, right spot in the lineup, you could see the guy from 2009 resurge in the AL East.

Archived