Reynolds soon

wvw011166

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to detract from the point of this thread, but it's also interesting looking at their wishlists for Upton. Basically 3 of each organization's top 5 prospects and then 2 ML-ready players. It's something to keep in mind when we assemble our own trade proposals. Realistic trade proposals are the only ones that are worthwhile.

Yes, I know under normal circumstances that you can, but he was not added to the O's 40-man so he is eligible for the rule 5 draft. If he is traded to AZ, can they then add him to their 40-man or is still available for the rule 5?

He would still be available for the Rule 5, they cannot add him to the 40-man so essentially he's not particularly worthwhile as a target for them. Obviously they would then own his rights so if he gets picked the same rules would apply for them.

He would still be available for the Rule 5, they cannot add him to the 40-man so essentially he's not particularly worthwhile as a target for them. Obviously they would then own his rights so if he gets picked the same rules would apply for them.

Thanks! Makes sense.

Yeah, that board is going to explode with the power of a thousand suns when a trade actually happens and they see what Reynolds is actually worth.:D

The truth is...Somewhere in between. He is not worth anything like what they are talking about. He is worth a good bit more than what most on this board have proposed. Nobody likes to give up a good looking young player. But IMO, the truth is that David Hernandez alone does not get it done. I don't even think that Tillman alone would get it done. The funny part about all of this is that I think both the D'Backs board and ours will explode if/when the deal is done.

A few weeks ago there was a guy on the OH from an Arizona forum and he acted as though they were expecting a Bedard type haul for Reynolds. I don't recall the exact names he mentioned but it was something like Jones, Tillman, Reimold, and one or two more. He was persistent but was finally laughed out the door.

I think it's highly unlikely that Pelzer gets selected and stays on the 25-man all season, so I wouldn't say that he's not necessarily worthwhile.

I think it's highly unlikely that Pelzer gets selected and stays on the 25-man all season, so I wouldn't say that he's not necessarily worthwhile.

I agree, he's not likely to stick all year long. Whether we trade him or retain his rights, I think it's likely he's returned to the team he was selected from in the Rule V. I do like him and I think he has potential though, but I think until after the Rule V or until he's been returned, he's not a player that will have much value in a trade.

The truth is...Somewhere in between. He is not worth anything like what they are talking about. He is worth a good bit more than what most on this board have proposed. Nobody likes to give up a good looking young player. But IMO, the truth is that David Hernandez alone does not get it done. I don't even think that Tillman alone would get it done. The funny part about all of this is that I think both the D'Backs board and ours will explode if/when the deal is done.

That certainly could be one of the reasons B-Rob is still an Oriole, but what do you think Reynolds' chiseled jaw has to do with his performance on the field? :D

91966_crop_340x234.jpg

Just for the fun of it, more crazytalk, but this time from the MLBTR comments:

baseball-reference.com has reynolds' most similar player by age as mike schmidt... yeah, the hall of fame mike schmidt. reynolds has more rbi than anybody on the dbacks over the last 4 years, even while setting strikeout records year in and year out. reynolds does most of his damage from the 5 and 6 spot in the lineup while having little protection in the lineup, and few runners on base in front of him (his obp with risp is only .414, with runners on is .375, that was in his worst year... compare that to just .355 and .368 for arod).

the only thing the dbacks should take from the padres for reynolds is adrian gonzalez... reynolds is no salary dump.

A few weeks ago there was a guy on the OH from an Arizona forum and he acted as though they were expecting a Bedard type haul for Reynolds. I don't recall the exact names he mentioned but it was something like Jones, Tillman, Reimold, and one or two more. He was persistent but was finally laughed out the door.

Are you talking about me?

I suggested something like David Hernandez, Jim Johnson, Nolan Reimold, and Josh Bell for Mark Reynolds and Ryan Roberts. The Orioles get a starting third baseman and a starting SS/super utility guy who can fill in and bat leadoff if Brian Roberts gets hurt. The Diamondbacks get two relievers, one with injury issues, and two question marks. That's hardly a great deal for them. I would say that trade is slanted in the Orioles favor...

Reynolds is going to cost a lot more than you guys think he will. They're not going to give him up for spare parts.

I suggested something like David Hernandez, Jim Johnson, Nolan Reimold, and Josh Bell for Mark Reynolds and Ryan Roberts. The Orioles get a starting third baseman and a starting SS/super utility guy who can fill in and bat leadoff if Brian Roberts gets hurt. The Diamondbacks get two relievers, one with injury issues, and two question marks. That's hardly a great deal for them. I would say that trade is slanted in the Orioles favor...

Reynolds is going to cost a lot more than you guys think he will. They're not going to give him up for spare parts.

I will guarantee Reynolds does not get you four young players. I doubt he'd get DH and Reimold. You're ignoring the all-important question of service time.

You say that, but the reality is that the perception of his value started from the talks on a Phoenix station. They seemed to think David Hernandez was the centerpiece, and I hardly consider him a "spare part". He has the ability to be a top closer for years. Regardless, I hope we can help improve each other's teams without hurting our own.

I will guarantee Reynolds does not get you four young players. I doubt he'd get DH and Reimold. You're ignoring the all-important question of service time.

First, I believe GoGo is right that most posters have had unrealistic expectations of what it would take to get Reynolds. Also, this is not a 4-for-1 trade, it's a 4-for-2 trade. I don't know squat about Ryan Roberts, but just looking at his minor and major league career to this point, I'd say he's not quite up to the level of an even-up trade for Nolan Reimold, but he's not that far away from it, either, considering the positions he plays. I'd say this is a relatively fair proposal, but I doubt it's one we'd pull the trigger on. We'd need to give just a little less or get a little more as a secondary piece.

Archived