TT: Reimold for Bartlett is a win-win

Tony-OH

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't agree. It takes some players longer to develop. I know the talent probably isn't comprable, but Josh Hamilton didn't put it all together until he was 26. Luke Scott didn't have a meaningful MLB season until he was 28.

Bartlett (one year of Bartlett at that) isn't worth it. Hes a declining player. It might be excusable if his huge season was last year, but it was two seasons ago.

I just don't like it.

If Bartlett puts up one of his better years at the plate, he's a significant upgrade. If not...

I like Reimold as a player, and thought that he had a chance to be a pretty valuable power hitter with the ability to control the plate. But from the way he has been handled over the past several seasons, it has seemed to me that the O's didn't regard him as anything too special. Reimold for Bartlett straight up would be consistent with that.

I just don't agree. It takes some players longer to develop. I know the talent probably isn't comprable, but Josh Hamilton didn't put it all together until he was 26. Luke Scott didn't have a meaningful MLB season until he was 28.

Bartlett (one year of Bartlett at that) isn't worth it. Hes a declining player. It might be excusable if his huge season was last year, but it was two seasons ago.

I just don't like it.

Never in my life have I seen a poorer example to prove a point than the one in bold. Are you in politics? :laughlol:

I just don't like it.

If his huge season was last year, we wouldn't be able to get him for Reimold. The whole reason we can get an established ML shortstop for a player who was as flat out bad as Reimold was last year is that Bartlett wasn't particularly good either. But even in a down year, he was still dramatically better than Izturis at the plate.

If we could give up less, that would be great, but if this is the best deal we can make, so be it.

I will say I'm a little more upbeat about Bartlett now then before, especially after seeing the WAR totals compared to Izzy, but I'm still in the "Reimold is a HUGE overpayment for him" camp.

You don't think a starting SS in the major leagues is appropriate for his value? What do you think his value is at the moment?

I just think a lot of people are over valuing Reimold's value. He's a 27-year old DH who is coming off a miserable year with off field problems to boot. He very well might rebound, but isn't this guy available for "free" and is probably a better overall player?

Reimold just doesn't have much value at this time, his non production and "issues" are the reason. Plus he is a LF which you can always find.

How many SS are available? And Bartlett is actually a huge upgrade when you look year over year compared to the O's last 3 shortstops.

Reimold and Hamilton are not comparable as Hamilton was the #1 prospect in baseball.

I just don't like it.

Josh Hamilton was a former first round pick who had a terrible substance abuse issue. No comparison. I guess the Scott comp has some validity, but I have a feeling he didn't have an OPS of .738 in AAA at age 27. If I had the time I'd look it up.

We begged and begged and begged MacPhail not to resign Izturis. If the Twins aren't offering Hardy, then this may be our only option.

Archived