TT: Reimold for Bartlett is a win-win

Tony-OH

I mean, it is great that we can get value for Riemold after the year he is coming off of. Kudos to AM for that. However, how fair is it to say that Bartlett is an upgrade over what we've had the past three seasons? The same could be said for just playing a fourth outfielder short. :D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Josh Hamilton was a former first round pick who had a terrible substance abuse issue. No comparison. I guess the Scott comp has some validity, but I have a feeling he didn't have an OPS of .738 in AAA at age 27. If I had the time I'd look it up.

We begged and begged and begged MacPhail not to resign Izturis. If the Twins aren't offering Hardy, then this may be our only option.

Oh, I admit the Hamilton reference is a terrible comparison, outside of age and Riemold having personal issues after a "breakout" season.

The thing that stands out to me is that a change of scenery might be best for Reimold. I would not like to trade him but if he isn't in Baltimore's plans then there is nothing I can do about it.

I don't think Bartlett is that much of an upgrade though.

I agree that Reimhold might need a change of scenery, but to trade him within the division? I disagree.

I have no problem trading him ( I thought we should have traded him last year when his stock was high) but to trade him for Bartlett?? I feel like there are a lot of guys out there like Bartlett and I don't want us to trade a guy who's stock is low right now for a guy that is little upgrade to what we have now.

Sell High and Buy low

You don't think a starting SS in the major leagues is appropriate for his value? What do you think his value is at the moment?

I just think a lot of people are over valuing Reimold's value. He's a 27-year old DH who is coming off a miserable year with off field problems to boot. He very well might rebound, but isn't this guy available for "free" and is probably a better overall player?

I rather have Izzy, 3 million we save on salary and Riemold than 1 year of a declining Bartlett at 6 million.

I still think this would be a bad trade if it goes through. I guess its just a matter of which player -- Reimold or Bartlett -- you believe is more capable of bouncing back from a bad year. I have no doubt that Reimold is the better player and will prove it this year....no matter which team he is playing for.

One year of Bartlett -- a year in which BAL has no chance of competing for a playoff spot.

I don't see how even the chance that Reimold can realize some of his promise isn't worth much more than that. Maybe the odds are against Reimold getting straightened out. The same, it would sure sting to watch him put up 30+ HR seasons in TAM for pennies.

Apparently, Bartlett was 18th in MVP voting in 2008. I know we are talking about 18th place.....but I am really scratching my head on this one. 2009 was his career year. What am I missing?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_2008.shtml#ALmvp

The Rays were a big deal in 2008. Old sportswriters like "scrappy" shortstops. You figure it out. Cesar Tovar got a first-place vote in 1967, the year Yaz won the Triple Crown.

Actually, looking at the voting results, 2008 was a pretty messed up year. Dustin Pedroia won, and Ian Kinsler finished 20th, despite Kinsler objectively being the better hitter. Milton Bradley, far and away the best hitter in the AL (albeit with some time missed due to injury) finished 17th. Nick Markakis, the third most valuable player in the AL by WAR, didn't get a single vote. I think 2008 was my last straw as far as BBWAA awards were concerned.

My goodness, I would rather re-sign Izturis and keep Reimold than do this. One year of a mediocre player like Bartlett in exchange for practically Reimold's whole career? Madness.

Agree 100% No way this is a good deal. FO should just put a sign Free Reimold while it lasts!

According to MLBTR, JB is Type A and, with a bad year, could become Type B. Bartlett seems like a smart guy to trade for, hope he does well enough to offer arb to and then you either get him for another year or you get a draft pick out of it. If you consider that as part of his value, losing Reimold doesn't sting as much. I would definitely trade Reimold for a 2nd round pick right now if such a thing was possible.

Archived