Texas back in on vlad ...not happy with os offer

Guest Hayden2004

Anyone who would fork over as much as he has for relievers like Gregg and Gonzo... who would then try to take advantage of the situation with Vlad in that way... just isn't seriously trying to win a division title... this year, next year, the year after, or at all.

Well I mean since MacPhail has been here we've gone from a team that wins 70-some-odd games a year to a team that wins 60-some-odd games a year, so he gets credit for that.

Plus he's really kicked up our farm system a few notches and made us a big player in the international market....

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's just a frickin' joke. $2 million? It's an insult to a player of Vlad's caliber. If I were him, I wouldn't even call back.

Seriously, I think Andy MacPhail just lost a huge measure of my respect (I'm sure he'll recover).

Anyone who would fork over as much as he has for relievers like Gregg and Gonzo... who would then try to take advantage of the situation with Vlad in that way... just isn't seriously trying to win a division title... this year, next year, the year after, or at all.

The O's need a real GM, MacFail is soft, weak, and cheap, stupid bum :mad:.

That's just a frickin' joke. $2 million? It's an insult to a player of Vlad's caliber. If I were him, I wouldn't even call back.

Seriously, I think Andy MacPhail just lost a huge measure of my respect (I'm sure he'll recover).

Let's see...

2 years 12 million for an oft-injured inconsistent reliever

2 years 10 million (plus incentives) for a shaky at best closer, when we already have two potential in-house options (one of which makes 6 million)

1 year 4.5 million for a guy we released in early June.

And... 1 year 2 million for a potential future HOFer who hit .300 with 29 and 115 last year. Sounds about right.:rolleyes:

$2m is all he deserves.

Wow... this is the most depressingly wrong post I've read in awhile on the OH.

What are you basing this on? I'd say he's worth at least $5 million a year, based on Lee's deal, but especially on Pena's.

Take a look at the Gregg signing, which is just starting to piss me off to no end.

Gregg is worth 250% more to this team, dollar-wise? Really? I would much rather NOT have Gregg and have 58 more home runs next year, and an additional 230 RBI, from two spots in the batting order.

Let's see...

2 years 12 million for an oft-injured inconsistent reliever

2 years 10 million (plus incentives) for a shaky at best closer, when we already have two potential in-house options (one of which makes 6 million)

1 year 4.5 million for a guy we released in early June.

And... 1 year 2 million for a potential future HOFer who hit .300 with 29 and 115 last year. Sounds about right.:rolleyes:

Totally lost on this one?

I'm not sure if I believe this, but if it is true, its an insult to Vlad. With that said, there are multiple sources claiming the offer is worth anywhere from $2-5M...I think I'll just sit back and see how it plays out, because I'm not even sure what to believe anymore...

Roch says different:

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/01/updates-on-guerrero-duchscherer-and-beimel.html

Considering that every other team has offered $0, $2 million doesn't sound too bad to me.

Most people on here obviously don't understand how negotiations work.

$2M is a solid offer when you aren't really competing with anyone but yourself. Especially considering the Orioles are already crying wolf about their budget.

That's the really sad part in all of this.

Exactly my point. This thread is about a reported 2M offer, which Buster Olney also believes it was, but then on the other hand, you have Roch and Rosenthal who say it falls in the 3-5M range...

I really hope that we end up signing Vlad, but even if we don't, I just hope this ends in the next week...

Wow... this is the most depressingly wrong post I've read in awhile on the OH.

What are you basing this on? I'd say he's worth at least $5 million a year, based on Lee's deal, but especially on Pena's.

Take a look at

Why is he more comparable to two 1B then the DHs on the market like Thome and Manny?

So, would you rather that MacPhail simply make no offer at all?

The handwriting has been on the wall on this one for quite some time.

From January 6:

As for adding another bat - and the Vladimir Guerrero rumor has suddenly gained momentum - the door hasn't completely slammed shut on him, but his price would have to come way down. And it's going to take time if this happens. We're only in the first week of January.

Guerrero signed a one-year deal with the Rangers in 2010 that guaranteed $5.5 million and included performance bonuses and a $1 million buyout.

A team source said not to rule out Guerrero or another DH, but it's not likely to happen. The focus remains on pitching.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/01/whats-left-for-the-orioles.html

From January 20:

I just checked with a team official to see whether something had changed since I was told recently that the Orioles didn't expect to add a designated hitter, and certainly not Guerrero unless his price came tumbling down. I received a text back saying "nope."

At this point, it doesn't sound like they have the inside track.

I was previously told not to completely dismiss the possibility, but again, Guerrero would be signed only at a bargain price.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/01/quick-vlady-update.html

How many times does it have to be said before you believe it?

Archived