Texas back in on vlad ...not happy with os offer

Guest Hayden2004

Why all the attacks on AM? We don't really need Vlad, it would be nice, but what difference does it really make if we get him or not. Furthermore, we are the only team were he could play regularly, and it seems only 3-4 teams that he fits.

No other rumors of other offers, why bid against oursleves. AM has had a great off season, the pen is better, ss, 3rd and 1b are better. What does the guy need to do?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But in this case, avg. doesn't tell the whole story.

True, but it is enough to tell us that there is a pretty big element of uncertainty there despite his power. Reasonable gamble? I guess. Better than standing pat. Not the acquisition of the century, though.

What does the guy need to do?

Win. In Angelos' case, get our payroll up enough that he seems to be trying to win instead of just pocketing profits at our expense.

True, but it is enough to tell us that there is a pretty big element of uncertainty there despite his power. Reasonable gamble? I guess. Better than standing pat. Not the acquisition of the century, though.

What uncertainty?

He is going to most likely hit around .240, but with an OBP near .330 with a lot of power.

I think it will create alot of buzz, and get casual fans to pay attention again. As far as how much money it will generate, I don't think any of us can say but it should cover a decent chunk of his salary.

Sorry, but you know as well as I do that this is crap. The only thing that will "generate buzz" and "get casual fans to pay attention" is winning.

In fact, why wouldn't the "casual fan" just see this as the Orioles signing another "name" on the downside? That's the "casual" perception of the organization over the past decade-plus.

Making decisions based on getting "casual fans" to care gets you a team of which no one will care. That's why you build to win, and win long-term.

Yea, I don't get the over-the-top hyperbole. If the market for Vlad is a few million dollars, why should the O's be offering significantly more? Where was the gnashing of teeth and wailing and rending of garments when Manny and Thome signed? Were they insulted and put down by the offers they accepted? Are the Twins and Rays despicable organizations for not offering to pay $8M or $10M a year for their new DHs?

The Twins and Rays are smart organizations, so they managed to sign players below-market-value and who will likely be steals at their cost. The Orioles are stupid, so they are insulting a legend who deserves far better.

Am I doing it right? :rolleyes:

Frankly, this is a win-win. The Orioles either get a player they don't really need but will probably help for a cheap price, or they lose out on an over-the-hill DH with an inflated sense of his market value.

Here is how I see it...Andy McPhail has let the market play out and Vlad is still sitting out there without any suitors. There are a few teams that could squeeze him in, i.e Blue Jay and Angels and maybe the Rangers, but Vlad wants everyday ABs. I think the Os are the only fit, so Andy has made an offer because he is basically holding all the cards knowing he doesn't have to pay him his value. It has also been noted that Vlad said he will play this year. I see this as a Jermaine Dye type deal (aging outfielder that can still hit for power). Dye put up pretty consistent numbers, but held out for more money and in the end he wasn't going to play for less than he thought he was worth. Reports state that Vlad said he will play this year. If that is the case he may just have to take a 1 year deal (like he did last year), but for less than he would like. Its a business game and McPhail is playing it correctly, no reason to spend an extra 3-5 million when we probably don't need it. Granted it would be icing on the cake, but I don't think McPhail is bluffing when he says he can go into the season with the offense he has now, I just hope Vlad realizes that.

Here is how I see it...Andy McPhail has let the market play out and Vlad is still sitting out there without any suitors. There are a few teams that could squeeze him in, i.e Blue Jay and Angels and maybe the Rangers, but Vlad wants everyday ABs. I think the Os are the only fit, so Andy has made an offer because he is basically holding all the cards knowing he doesn't have to pay him his value. It has also been noted that Vlad said he will play this year. I see this as a Jermaine Dye type deal (aging outfielder that can still hit for power). Dye put up pretty consistent numbers, but held out for more money and in the end he wasn't going to play for less than he thought he was worth. Reports state that Vlad said he will play this year. If that is the case he may just have to take a 1 year deal (like he did last year), but for less than he would like. Its a business game and McPhail is playing it correctly, no reason to spend an extra 3-5 million when we probably don't need it. Granted it would be icing on the cake, but I don't think McPhail is bluffing when he says he can go into the season with the offense he has now, I just hope Vlad realizes that.

I agree with this. I think the Vlad situation has recently presented itself over the past few weeks in an unexpected fashion and of course it's something that needs to be explored. I did get the feeling after the D-Lee deal that our offseason was over from an offensive perspective...there's no tangible evidence for that reasoning, but I know other posters on here seemed to feel that way. There were a lot of discussions/polls based on "what do you think of MacPhail's offseason."

But, yes. I think MacPhail would feel fine headed into the season with the additions of Lee, Reynolds and Hardy.

Re: Texas, and Vlad's prefernces in general, and why he doesn't want to be an O.

"•The high percentage of Latino players on the Rangers' roster helps the team to maximize on the potential of its prosects, general manager Jon Daniels told Julio E. Castro at the Dominican paper El Caribe. "[Latino players] are the ones that are in charge of advising our prospects, especially those from the Dominican Republic," Daniels said. "Thanks to them, we were able to advance to the World Series last season, and this year, they're key to our goals once again." The Rangers' current 40-man roster includes eight Latino players, down from 12 on last season's roster. Vladimir Guerrero noted last year that the Latino "heart and soul" of the team and its Spanish-friendly clubhouse were key attractions to him as a free agent."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/spanish-links-garcia-belaguer-rangers.html

Why all the attacks on AM? We don't really need Vlad, it would be nice, but what difference does it really make if we get him or not. Furthermore, we are the only team were he could play regularly, and it seems only 3-4 teams that he fits.

No other rumors of other offers, why bid against oursleves. AM has had a great off season, the pen is better, ss, 3rd and 1b are better. What does the guy need to do?

IT ALL in one offseason! What's so unreasonable about that? :rolleyestf:

I wonder how MacPhail sets value for players.

$4.5 million for Garrett Atkins -- signed in early December no less.

A rumored $2 million for Guerrero.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Sure it does. Well maybe not the 4.5M for Atkins, but the Vlad offer.

Look at the market for him. It's almost nonexistent. Look at what similar players have gotten this off-season. Plus, it's not like Vlad fills a pressing need.

Besides the offer is apparently over 3M as has been said multiple times.

Archived