Klein to the bullpen

Can_of_corn

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/03/its-going-to-be-the-bullpen-for-os-third-round-pick-dan-klein.html

The decision has been made to use Klein, the O's third-round pick in the draft last June, out of the bullpen this season in the minor leagues.

The biggest factor seems to be the fact that Klein pitched just 58 1/3 innings last year. The O's don't feel he can or should be asked to handle the number of innings needed for a starting pitcher this year.

So Klein will likely get most or all of his innings out of the bullpen, possibly in middle relief. He would likely not exceed 100 innings for the season.

Smart, I would rather have him pitch in 2-3 inning increments this season then have him start and get shut down in July. Also if he dominates in this role he could be in Baltimore next season.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's definitely a smart move, and one that'll most likely escalate Klein through the system quickly.

I don't think that moving him quickly to MLB is the objective, though. They just know that in a rotation he wouldn't get more than 12-15 starts this year. So rather than start him once every 10 days, or shutting him down at the end of June, they'll ease him into a pro workload with long relief appearances, with the idea of moving him into the rotation next year in Bowie.

If he is dominant at Frederick, he might get a promotion to AA this year, and that would be a good thing. I just don't believe we'll be seeing him skip up through the levels the way he might if they were actually seeing him as a reliever long term.

I don't think that moving him quickly to MLB is the objective, though. They just know that in a rotation he wouldn't get more than 12-15 starts this year. So rather than start him once every 10 days, or shutting him down at the end of June, they'll ease him into a pro workload with long relief appearances, with the idea of moving him into the rotation next year in Bowie.

If he is dominant at Frederick, he might get a promotion to AA this year, and that would be a good thing. I just don't believe we'll be seeing him skip up through the levels the way he might if they were actually seeing him as a reliever long term.

It does allow them the flexibility to go either way in 2012.

Lets say that the current starters do well and the O's are primed to actually contend next season. With Koji and Gonzo potentially gone it might be in the team's best interest to bring break camp with Klein on the team in a bullpen role.

Someone refresh my memory here. What is Klein's ceiling as a reliever? Closer type stuff, setup man or just a damn good BP arm?? Any of the three would be fine with me as they are valuable but it would be nice to have our own closer-in-waiting in our minors.

FINALLY, a smart decision! :clap3::D

Wouldn't shock me to see him knocking on the ML door this year.

I would doubt that's even close to the plan. I was told at the end of last year that Klein could be used out of the bullpen because they were concerned over his lack of innings over the last three years. The goal was to pitch him in increasingly longer stints out of the pen.

It makes sense to see if he can get to 100 innings this year, then 120-130 next year and 150 the year after.

Obviously this puts him on a slow rise to the big leagues, but if our current starters are good enough, maybe he's Guthrie's full-time replacement in four years.

Unless things have changed between last year and this spring, I expect to see Klein brought long slowly instead of rushed to a big league bullpen.

I would doubt that's even close to the plan. I was told at the end of last year that Klein could be used out of the bullpen because they were concerned over his lack of innings over the last three years. The goal was to pitch him in increasingly longer stints out of the pen.

It makes sense to see if he can get to 100 innings this year, then 120-130 next year and 150 the year after.

Obviously this puts him on a slow rise to the big leagues, but if our current starters are good enough, maybe he's Guthrie's full-time replacement in four years.

Unless things have changed between last year and this spring, I expect to see Klein brought long slowly instead of rushed to a big league bullpen.

He wouldn't be rushed if he just shows that he has overpowers the minor leagues.

I am not saying this definitely will happen but college relievers can move very quickly.

If he is very good out of the pen this year, the long term plan of him being a starter will be scraped IMO.

Someone refresh my memory here. What is Klein's ceiling as a reliever? Closer type stuff, setup man or just a damn good BP arm?? Any of the three would be fine with me as they are valuable but it would be nice to have our own closer-in-waiting in our minors.

Guys that have starter stuff or closer stuff are generally the same, with the difference being to only be seen as a closer there are probably some durability concerns or some issue with mechanics that would prevent 100IP a year.

He's got the stuff to start or close though for sure, it's a good plan to stretch him out. Close/set up this year, extend a little longer next year, maybe mix in a couple starts down the stretch, and then the 3rd year could be a starter. Like Tony said, it takes a little while longer to do something that way, but it's better than risking a crazy injury.

I might agree if he was throwing 1 or 2 IP per appearnce all year or if he showed signs of fading when trying to go 3 or 4 innings. However, if Klein works his way up to 4 or 5 IP per appearnce by the end of the year and is very good, that will only reinforce the plan to make him a starter.

And I doubt that happens.

If he is dominant in short stretches, they are very unlikely to go away from what is working.

Tony brought up getting close to 100 innings out of the pen this year. I doubt he even goes 80, much less 100.

Like I said, unless somethig has changed, the Orioles have every intention of seeing if Klein can become a starter. If he pitches out of the pen, he will most likely be a multiple inning guy who could even piggyback with a young starter in the second half of the season to get up to four-five inning stints.

As far as I know there is no intention on him being in the pen long term unless its determined he can't make as a starter. That's probably two to three years down the line unless injuries come into play.

Like I said, unless somethig has changed, the Orioles have every intention of seeing if Klein can become a starter. If he pitches out of the pen, he will most likely be a multiple inning guy who could even piggyback with a young starter in the second half of the season to get up to four-five inning stints.

As far as I know there is no intention on him being in the pen long term unless its determined he can't make as a starter. That's probably two to three years down the line unless injuries come into play.

But, to your knowledge, they were going to have him start THIS YEAR, right?

They were going to have him pitch ~80 innings this year. They just decided it would be more effective for him to reach those 80 innings as a reliever pitching the whole season than as a starter getting shut down at the end of June.

The only difference now is that he'll still be pitching into August, thereby getting accustomed to the length of the pro season, while still not exceeding the set IP limit.

Archived