Roberts, How often does he really hustle?

21xxxv

Take to two situations today away, I feel he dogs it more than not. especially up the first base line. If Vlad at 37, can bust his rear end getting to first, so can a player that has never won anything!. I get the fact the he isn't stealing as much with the back issue. But, getting tired of this act.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take to two situations today away, I feel he dogs it more than not. especially up the first base line. If Vlad at 37, can bust his rear end getting to first, so can a player that has never won anything!. I get the fact the he isn't stealing as much with the back issue. But, getting tired of this act.

Funny...he's playing the same way he was last season (in terms of perceived hustle) when everyone was thanking God that he'd returned from the back injury and what a positive impact he was having on the club. He's struggling at the plate and suddenly his effort's an issue.

Did you miss the beautiful bunt for a single early in today's game? It looked like he was hustling to me.

I know this thread will probably get bashed, but I agree and have felt this way for quite some time. He hustles only when he feels he has to hustle, not only at the plate but in the field. Maybe his body is broken down a bit but that shouldn't make him glide to every pop up instead of attacking it until he's called off. His lack of hustle to 1st base today in the 4th inning made what could've been a close play into a routine one. You have to put pressure on the defense by running hard.

Brian is extremely talented and has been one of the best 2nd baseman in the league for some time. He is a great guy in the community. But he'll never be one of my favorite Orioles because he plays like he's too cool for school. Bash away, but that's what I see. I appreciate the little things in baseball and everything counts. 'Dogs it' might be a too strong of a term, but he doesn't bust it on every play, just when he feels he has to. Great player, just not my style of player. It's certainly not how I play or how I want my sons to play.

Probably just me. But he does seem like he isn't going all out all the time.

I agree with this. Hardly any players go all out all the time, especially as they get older and have nagging injuries. I would rather see Roberts in the lineup for 150 games than see him run with his hair on fire on bouncers to the pitcher or on a routine groundball to get thrown out by two steps rather than three.

I stand corrected. But regardless of his age he hustles more than Roberts

I thought he pulled up a little bit on the double he hit yesterday. If he was running full speed I thought he would have had a shot at a triple due to the misplay. Hustle is in the eye of the beholder.

For starters, I suggest you watch Jeter, Pedroia, Yukolis and several others in our division. Your comment about guys not hustling on every ground ball simply isn't true. It's further compounded when your leadoff hitter, and so called veteran catalyst doesn't.

For starters, I suggest you watch Jeter, Pedroia, Yukolis and several others in our division. Your comment about guys not hustling on every ground ball simply isn't true. It's further compounded when your leadoff hitter, and so called veteran catalyst doesn't.

Sorry...I've seen all 3 of those guys jog out a ground out.

I know this thread will probably get bashed, but I agree and have felt this way for quite some time. He hustles only when he feels he has to hustle, not only at the plate but in the field. Maybe his body is broken down a bit but that shouldn't make him glide to every pop up instead of attacking it until he's called off. His lack of hustle to 1st base today in the 4th inning made what could've been a close play into a routine one. You have to put pressure on the defense by running hard.

Brian is extremely talented and has been one of the best 2nd baseman in the league for some time. He is a great guy in the community. But he'll never be one of my favorite Orioles because he plays like he's too cool for school. Bash away, but that's what I see. I appreciate the little things in baseball and everything counts. 'Dogs it' might be a too strong of a term, but he doesn't bust it on every play, just when he feels he has to. Great player, just not my style of player. It's certainly not how I play or how I want my sons to play.

Jim Palmer gave him a small bit of advise the other day. "Did you forget how difficult this game is?" was his response.

Archived