Pirates Sources Says Bundy May Go No. 1

colin_dunlap Colin Dunlap

Just got a call after leaving Milwaukee from someone I trust who says #pirates seriously considering Dylan Bundy w/ top pick.

The Pirates beat writer for the Post-Gazette just tweeted this. This is huge in my opinion. Be guaranteed Cole, Rendon or Hultzen.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know for sure, but I think this has been circulating for a bit now. In any event, I can't see any reason PIT takes Bundy at 1:1 unless it's a pre-draft deal and Cole/Rendon/Hultzen are asking for too much.

If you have the first pick the only reason for misdirection or misinformation is if you are hoping some of the other guys (Cole/Rendon) bring their demands down. It certainly wouldn't be to misdirect another team.

Right, which is certainly a possibility with regards to Rendon and Cole. At this point last year, weren't there a lot of rumors that Pittsburgh was going to pass on Tallion. It wasn't until the last few days that we started hearing differently.

I REALLY hope Bundy doesn't go #1, especially since there is zero chance Cole falls and I doubt the Orioles will take Starling. If it means Rendon, then great, but right now I think Bundy is the best pick at 1:4 and I'd take him over any of the non-Cole arms in a heartbeat.

Right, which is certainly a possibility with regards to Rendon and Cole. At this point last year, weren't there a lot of rumors that Pittsburgh was going to pass on Tallion. It wasn't until the last few days that we started hearing differently.

I remember it more being that Pitt had not decided between Tallion and Machado yet. I don't recall any other names being in play for them last year.

Don't know for sure, but I think this has been circulating for a bit now. In any event, I can't see any reason PIT takes Bundy at 1:1 unless it's a pre-draft deal and Cole/Rendon/Hultzen are asking for too much.

Not like that hasn't happened before *cough* MOSKOS *cough cough*.

Also Tony Sanchez, but that's worked out so far.

The difference there is that there wasn't an elite talent on their board at their pick (per their evaluators). So they went signable 1st Rd, addressed an org need and went overslot later.

So they didn't consider Matzek an elite talent. Interesting, considering how much outcry there was on the board when the Orioles passed on him.

Weighing everything, including signing demands, it wasn't a direction they were willing to go.

If you have the first pick the only reason for misdirection or misinformation is if you are hoping some of the other guys (Cole/Rendon) bring their demands down. It certainly wouldn't be to misdirect another team.

If I'm the O's, I'm promising both of Rendon and Cole huge dollars so they don't have to drop their demands. I don't think AM or PA operate that way, but I'd offer to over pay both of them in an attempt to get one of them to fall.

I know misdirection and misinformation isn't really used all that much in the MLB draft like it is in other pro sports drafts but I would be very suprised if they took Bundy #1 overall.

Me, too. Especially considering that high school right handed pitchers never go #1. IIRC, it's never happened before. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived