Pirates Sources Says Bundy May Go No. 1

Me, too. Especially considering that high school right handed pitchers never go #1. IIRC, it's never happened before. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Matt Bush was drafted as a SS, but then converted into a RHP. Apart from him, you're correct. In fact, the only two high school pitchers ever to go #1 were David Clyde and Brien Taylor, both lefties.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't believe it but it would be great.

Best case scenario is still seeing Rendon fall to us.

I personally can't see anyway that Rendon falls to us unless we really don't want him (shoulder is really messed up). He isn't getting past SEA. They need offensive help so badly. I could see Cole falling to us.

Unless we are getting Rendon/Cole. Flip a coin. Everyone has an opinion after that.

Jim Callis just tweeted:
Sticker shock: Teams being told asking price on Dylan Bundy is 6 yrs, $30 million. For Archie Bradley, 5 yrs and $20 million.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Dylan Bundy essentially wants Evan Longoria's extension and Bradley want's aronud 25% more than Strasburg got. Obviously they aren't getting that. I guess the bright side is that if the both stick to these numbers up to draft day then BAL could grab either one in the second round. Or third. Or fourth.

Obviously you do what you have to in order to get paid, and I certainly don't begrudge them for trying. But I find it hard to believe, say, the Nationals, could look at this and think "Bundy for just a hair over what we paid for Strasburg and Harper combined? Sign me up!"

Jim Callis just tweeted:

Sticker shock: Teams being told asking price on Dylan Bundy is 6 yrs, $30 million. For Archie Bradley, 5 yrs and $20 million.

Yeah, good luck with that. Strasburg set the record for most guaranteed money for an amateur at $15.1 million, Harper got $9.9 million.

Of course, at the time everybody thought Boras would seek $50 million for Strasburg.

Yeah, good luck with that. Strasburg set the record for most guaranteed money for an amateur at $15.1 million, Harper got $9.9 million.

Of course, at the time everybody thought Boras would seek $50 million for Strasburg.

Right. This is about trimming the fat (if you don't want a heavy negotiation, don't sign up) than actually framing the negotiation. It obviously doesn't start there. MAYBE starts with Jamo's bonus and moves a little north (though I think Taillon is better than either).

I think the draft stock of a few college arms just bumped up a bit.

It's interesting that these unreasonable "demands" for Bundy surface shortly after PITT is rumored to be considering him first overall. Maybe this is Bundy's camp's way of saying "don't pick Dylan because you don't want to pay Cole."

I think the draft stock of a few college arms just bumped up a bit.

It's interesting that these unreasonable "demands" for Bundy surface shortly after PITT is rumored to be considering him first overall. Maybe this is Bundy's camp's way of saying "don't pick Dylan because you don't want to pay Cole."

I think that's certainly part of it.

Bundy demands would scare off the Pirates and the Os.

What makes you say this? GMs and scouting directors are not stupid, and I'm sure everyone realizes that those numbers are not realistic. The message is "don't draft Bundy if you're looking for a signability pick. If you draft him, you need to be willing to engage in serious negotiations and pay him like a top HS pick who could go to college if he's not offered enough."

I don't think this will shake Joe Jordan's world, and I think he'd feel comfortable selecting any player under those terms if he thinks that player is the clear BPA. If we were not willing to do that, I would be furious. This team doesn't spend on top FAs and doesn't acquire impact talent in trades. It needs to be willing to spend Mike Gonzalez+ money to nap the top pick in the draft.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Dylan Bundy essentially wants Evan Longoria's extension and Bradley want's aronud 25% more than Strasburg got. Obviously they aren't getting that. I guess the bright side is that if the both stick to these numbers up to draft day then BAL could grab either one in the second round. Or third. Or fourth.

Obviously you do what you have to in order to get paid, and I certainly don't begrudge them for trying. But I find it hard to believe, say, the Nationals, could look at this and think "Bundy for just a hair over what we paid for Strasburg and Harper combined? Sign me up!"

I don't think they would get to the 2nd round because I could see the Yanks or Red Sox saying, "Let's draft them and woo them down to a more reasonable price with our 'Mystique.'" I'd much rather pretty much anyone else go get them. I'm not an expert though, just my first thought.

I don't think they would get to the 2nd round because I could see the Yanks or Red Sox saying, "Let's draft them and woo them down to a more reasonable price with our 'Mystique.'" I'd much rather pretty much anyone else go get them. I'm not an expert though, just my first thought.

Oh, I agree. I meant that they would slip to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and so on if they were really serious about sticking to those demands.

For the draft laymen around here (read: me), why would the Pirates pass on Cole and Rendon? Is it just concerns over money? Or is there something about them that at least partially justify passing on them for an arm like Bundy. Rendon has the injury, so I guess I'm asking more in regards to Cole.

For the draft laymen around here (read: me), why would the Pirates pass on Cole and Rendon? Is it just concerns over money? Or is there something about them that at least partially justify passing on them for an arm like Bundy. Rendon has the injury, so I guess I'm asking more in regards to Cole.

It may be Bundy, Callis is very high on Bundy. They may honestly think he is the best choice, particularly with Rendon's injury issues and Cole's sporadic effectiveness lately.

Archived